Check Emmissions and SHAWD lights came on - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Check Emmissions and SHAWD lights came on

I've read of this problem before but I did notice before it happened that at Idle the truck ran horribly. I had driven about 20 minutes just prior to this all happening. I thought the truck was gonna die on idle so i went to the closest gas station and filled it up from 1/4 tank and put in some fresh 91 octane. I clicked the gas cap more than the 5 times people suggest and started the truck. at first the truck did not want to start it was hesitating on startup then finally caught and continued to run a rough idle. Anyone have any suggestions? again I have the check emmissions light and check SH-AWD light. One note is the truck runs fine when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, checkthat your battery charge and voltage are ok. From experience, I know that thesr computer/electronic based vehicles are very sensitiveto low voltage which can occur with a weak battery and starting the vehicle, since the voltage can drop below 10 volts with weak batteries.

That means certain modules may not boot correctly..
You have two somewhat unrelated modules having problems at the same time, which makes it suspicious..

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
I've read of this problem before but I did notice before it happened that at Idle the truck ran horribly. I had driven about 20 minutes just prior to this all happening. I thought the truck was gonna die on idle so i went to the closest gas station and filled it up from 1/4 tank and put in some fresh 91 octane. I clicked the gas cap more than the 5 times people suggest and started the truck. at first the truck did not want to start it was hesitating on startup then finally caught and continued to run a rough idle. Anyone have any suggestions? again I have the check emmissions light and check SH-AWD light. One note is the truck runs fine when driving.
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

A weak battery does cause problems and errant check engine lights. However once started it should not run poorly due to bad battery.

You should be able to go into your messages on the navigation and find the Code(s). Post them back here.
andrew_j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

how many miles do you have? are you the first owner?
t-mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

In many vehicles (Mercedes, etc), the modules that fail to initialize correctly will post an error (OBDII) and will not try to reboot again until the engine is restarted.

Bad gas may make the engine miss enough to make the awd be disabled. I remember at least two cases in my old vehicle forums..
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey guys, Just wanted to update you all on what the resolution was.. Sure enough it was the EGR valve had started to stick. so it was failing to close when at idle causing the engine to act erratic. Something to note going forward for anyone having the same issue.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

All along owning this vehicle I was worried for the torque converter/transmission like issues ; seems anything can fail on these vehicles....
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm having exact same issues. My MDX is 2007, and battery has been replaced in 2011, so relatively new.

If it is a fault EGR valve, fault, how do we resolve this?

Thanks
Sergio
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Guys, my wife brought vehicle to Acura $tealer and they hit her with the following:
95$ EGR valve
110$ Diagnositics
110$ install EGR valve
54$ taxes

Total approximate 350$!!!!!!!

BEWARE, and get it done differently.

If the same happens to you, here is what I suggest:

1. Dictate to service rep to change EGR valve at 1/2 hour labour cost.

It should not cost more than 150$.

Take care
Sergio
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Something does not seem right. EGR is only 95, how can you have a 54 tax? Labor should not increase tax AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Guys, my wife brought vehicle to Acura $tealer and they hit her with the following:
95$ EGR valve
110$ Diagnositics
110$ install EGR valve
54$ taxes

Total approximate 350$!!!!!!!

BEWARE, and get it done differently.

If the same happens to you, here is what I suggest:

1. Dictate to service rep to change EGR valve at 1/2 hour labour cost.

It should not cost more than 150$.

Take care
Sergio
qqzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
Something does not seem right. EGR is only 95, how can you have a 54 tax? Labor should not increase tax AFAIK.
Many states do charge sales tax on labor. In Texas the sales tax rate is 6.25-8.25 depending on local city additions. Not all labor is taxable, but some is.

With the spelling difference of labor/labour in the different posts, I wonder if
sergio is in Canada where many taxes are higher? Many dealers also charge a "shop fee" for consumables used (rags, cleaner, etc) during the repair. That is usually a flat percentage of the repair bill and may have been included in the tax?
ls973800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Generally with the EGR valve you can just clean out the carbon buildup. I am fortunate to have a friend that only works on Honda/Acura. I was getting the same two codes and since he cleaned it, no problems at all.

I previously had 2 Cadillacs that both had the same issue and cleaning the EGR worked fine. In my experience it is rare that you actually need to replace it.
Why0Why is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

EGR and clean out cost $400

Leith acura fixed same problem on my 2007 MDX with 80K miles. New EGR valve $150 plus $200 labor to install and clean out tubing and such. Technician said it was caused by the ethanol in the gas. I asked if this was a common problem since all gas now contains ethanol per EPA in NC. He said yes and seeing it more and more. Why do I now feel like I was ripped off?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: