2008 mdx sport suspension issue - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

2008 mdx sport suspension issue

Just had our 08 Sport at the Dealer for a Clunking Noise in Suspension. Car has 44,400 Miles. After 4 days of trying to figure out what was wrong and speaking to Acura Factory Reps, they replaced Both Front Lower Arm Compliance Bushings and a Right Front Stroke Sensor. They also replaced Both Front Compliance Brackets and did a Wheel Alignment. All under warranty. Now, the MDX is riding REALLY Hard in Sport Mode and Fairly hard in Comfort Mode. In Sport Mode, you feel every little thing on the road, It is much rougher than our X5 Sport Suspension with 20 Inch Wheels. Its also a little jerky from side to side.The Tech noted on the Invoice that the ride felt "Stiff" but it was due to the Active Damper Suspension. They also lowered the Cold Tire Pressure to 30lbs which I put back to 32lbs. I always Drive the MDX in Sport Mode, but now its really too much unless we are in the Canyons. I was wondering if the dealer was able to Overtighten something. Any thoughts would be great !!
08 MDX SSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Let us know how it plays out. I am curious...how bad was the clunk and was it from front or rear?

Previous Acuras:
bear1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had a passenger front clunk. Dealer replaced the strut. Out of warranty but the dealer got Acura to cover it. Clunk fixed. Seems to be a common problem for the Sport suspension. My Sport mode is quite firm as well.
2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII - built and tuned.
shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

With the sports models I think its a whole different ball game...I keep reading a lot mainly about faulty struts..
At least I am glad I don't have the sports model.. have already a bunch of other issues with the non sports one..
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess I need to drive a sport/non sport again...

I need to see how a non-sport drives...If I recall, the non-sport felt like a more hollow ride...but you are right, it is scary when they go...

Previous Acuras:
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I need to put my front strut woes in my sig. it seems like such a frequently brought up problem. We've had a total of 5 struts up front all under warranty even though the vehicle was out of warranty. I've heard complaining about the sport "clunk" for years over on edmunds. Some dealers try to fix it, some say its a "characteristic" I've just lived with it and try to dodge potholes.

'09 BMW 328i X, V1 hardwired, Blinder M47 front, Laser Interceptor Dual rear, Midland CB

'12 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite Smoky Topaz/Truffle

others:
'03 TL type S 5AT
'04 MDX Touring
'05 TL Nav 5AT
'08 VW GTI 6MT

http://www.radardetectorforum.org
non-profit website run by enthusiasts
upstatedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Clunking went away with the repair. Its just now the ride is really stiff, I am talking Porsche GT3 stiff !! I can't remember even when it was new that it was like this. I may go drive a new one with the 19's, if mine is stiffer than that I think something must be wrong.
08 MDX SSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Manji318
I just got my 08 sports serviced by local dealer. After they done B16, gave me a sheet and told Acura has technote for front suspension. Its free and I can get it done anytime, so my dilemma is I don't have any clunk noise(knockonwood). Should I even bother get this done?

2008, sports, 46k miles on it.
2008 MDX 5 speed automagic
Manji318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Is this the ADS system tsb or something different?

Previous Acuras:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

There are two potential issues that I can see in your case.. One is the road feedback and the other the damping system.

That you can feel all the road details does not necessarily mean that it is the suspension.

When I first bought my 2011 MDX, I could really feel all the road details and with time it has gotten very smooth, and it seems it will be getting even smoother with time. I originally thought that my MDX's bushings were really tight, or that the bushing materials were very hard.

My ride, though, is in the soft side.. One way to find out if it is the advanced damping system is to feel for any wobbling.. Does your car wobbles when you ride in an uneven road or when you go over a speed bump one side at the time? When you go through a curve, is the MDX like on rails..? or does it lean somewhat to one side?

If your suspension is too stiff, your vehicle will not wobble/lean at all and when you go through a speed bump, you will have to slow down a lot or it will be really hard on you and the vehicle.. BMW's and Mercedes with sport suspension feel like you are riding on rocks when you drive slow over uneven/bumpy roads... Is that what you feel..?

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 MDX SSport View Post
Just had our 08 Sport at the Dealer for a Clunking Noise in Suspension. Car has 44,400 Miles. After 4 days of trying to figure out what was wrong and speaking to Acura Factory Reps, they replaced Both Front Lower Arm Compliance Bushings and a Right Front Stroke Sensor. They also replaced Both Front Compliance Brackets and did a Wheel Alignment. All under warranty. Now, the MDX is riding REALLY Hard in Sport Mode and Fairly hard in Comfort Mode. In Sport Mode, you feel every little thing on the road, It is much rougher than our X5 Sport Suspension with 20 Inch Wheels. Its also a little jerky from side to side.The Tech noted on the Invoice that the ride felt "Stiff" but it was due to the Active Damper Suspension. They also lowered the Cold Tire Pressure to 30lbs which I put back to 32lbs. I always Drive the MDX in Sport Mode, but now its really too much unless we are in the Canyons. I was wondering if the dealer was able to Overtighten something. Any thoughts would be great !!
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 MDX SSport View Post

It's tough to say. One persons "stiff" ride maybe someone else's normal ride. I have an '07 sport and there is a noticeable difference from comfort mode to sport mode. I live in NYC and when I drive in the city I always keep the car in comfort mode because the potholes, you can't always dodge them when there is so much traffic around you, make for an uncomfortable ride. My wife would complain if I didn't use comfort. I used to own a Dodge Omni GLH and a Mazda Miata R1. I owned each for a few years so I was used to really stiff suspensions and the sport mode in the MDX feels less stiff than either of those cars.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

I would say that my 07 Sport setting is sports car firm. Not as bad as my Mitsubishi Evo but significantly firmer than any other SUV that I've driven. On the other hand, Comfort setting is fairly floaty.
2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII - built and tuned.
shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Manji318
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1906 View Post
Is this the ADS system tsb or something different?

I'm not sure but the service manager has the printout. He said its known issue with front struts and it's covered under Acura. Usually you get a letter saying to bring the car in to any Acura dealership if your model / year falls under certain year.
2008 MDX 5 speed automagic
Manji318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

I just got my 08 sports serviced by local dealer.

TracyBozeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyBozeker View Post
I just got my 08 sports serviced by local dealer.
OK, do tell....

Previous Acuras:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: