Rearview camera resolution. - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Rearview camera resolution.

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a 2011 Tech/Ent MDX, upgraded from an 2003 (still keeping it for backup duty, 200000 on the odometer) . My question is in regards to the rearview camera resolution. On the 2011, there is appreciably more grains than on the 2003, when operating at night time. That's kinda strange to me, it's supposed to be clearer than the older car. Do you guys have any comments on this "issue"?

Thanks,
Donodarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My wife has a 2010 Acura TL. Last week, I was in her car and my wife put her TL in reverse. I was amazed as how clear/sharp her rear camera image was.

So I went to my white 2011 MDX and began looking at it. During the day, and with the normal view, it was sharp and looked normal.

At night, I noticed a couple of things. I noticed that my view camera picks up a big portion of my white bumper. I am wondering if that is affecting the camera automatic gain/adjustment compensation, since the white bumper reflects a bright white pattern to the camera. Like when you have a cheap digital camera and you put a bright object, in your camera view, and the camera self adjusts to the bright object and not for all the areas of the screen, causing the other non-bright areas to darken.

Secondly, I noticed that the MDX camera lens is more spherical that the one in the TL, comparing the MDX normal view. The image on the MDX seems a little bit spherically distorted compared to the one in the TL which shows a flatter, non-spherically distorted, image view and and image that one will expect from a normal camera.

It is not really a problem, but I wonder if the spherical screen lens, the lens material, and/or maybe the camera quality itself may be affecting the quality of the night views?

I wonder if we can get the camera specs and the lens specs of the TL and the MDX to compare them.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donodarr View Post
Hi all,

I just took delivery of a 2011 Tech/Ent MDX, upgraded from an 2003 (still keeping it for backup duty, 200000 on the odometer) . My question is in regards to the rearview camera resolution. On the 2011, there is appreciably more grains than on the 2003, when operating at night time. That's kinda strange to me, it's supposed to be clearer than the older car. Do you guys have any comments on this "issue"?

Thanks,
... side windows acrylic deflectors,
... Michelin Latitude Tour HP 275/45R19
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
2005 Mercedes ML 500 AMG Package
AC_MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

On your MDX you can adjust the brightness and the zoom level by turning and pushing the knob. To increase the S/N, you could increase the brightness of the reversing lights and then reduce the gain of the camera.

2010 MDX Advance, Ent.
2005 RL
DB22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

The issue is more complicated than just adjusting the brightness of the screen or the intensity of the reverse lights lights.

If the camera sensor does not have good low light sensitivity then objects far away will always be grainy, if you install brighter lights then you will only be able to see objects that are close to the vehicle. Some cameras have a way to increase the dynamic color/intensity range of the dark areas and decrease the brightness on the bright image areas to obtain a better sharper image.

One thing I am wondering about is on the shape/quality of the lens used and if the camera sensor is different from the ones in the 2010 TL's, for example. And, why the 2010 TL's diplayed image seem to be overall sharper/higher-quality than that of the MDX.

AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB22 View Post
On your MDX you can adjust the brightness and the zoom level by turning and pushing the knob. To increase the S/N, you could increase the brightness of the reversing lights and then reduce the gain of the camera.
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

same issue here... i cant see anything at dark..
night vision was perfect on my old RDX
keynowin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just thought I would chime in with some thoughts on this issue. By way of background, I have a fair bit of experience as a photographer with digital photography.

I believe that the MDX is probably Spec'd with a 'Higher Resolution' camera than the TL by whoever is writing the design. However, higher resolution (i.e. more megapixels) generally comes at the expense of image quality unless there is an abundance of light. Get a cheap 12 MP & 18 MP pocket camera and take side by side pics on bright sunny days and in dimly lit settings to see what I mean. On a bright day, the 18 MP camera will produce an image with more detail, but in any other conditions the lower resolution camera will produce an image with less 'Noise'.

This is because the higher Megapixel and lower Megapixel cameras use the same size sensors. The higher MP camera crams more pixels onto the sensor, so each pixel gets less light, compromising low light performance.

I believe the MDX probably uses a higher resolution camera but actual image quality suffers as a result.

In Ideal conditions (i.e. bright sunny day) my 2012 MDX camera is better than my 08 TLs, but in anything else the TL camera vastly outperforms the MDX's.
PeterTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

The MDX R/V camera is horrible. No fixes, either. AFAIK.

-Drop Stop
-Opti-Guard
-OEM Roof Rails
-OEM Cross Bars
-OEM Rear Lower Trim
-OEM Front Lower Trim
-OEM Hood Air Deflector
-OEM Side Steps-Chrome
-Nokya H11 Hyper Yellow fogs
-WeatherTech FloorLiner™ DigitalFit® 3rd Row All Season Floor Mat
princelybug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

That is the only disappoint I can think of so far when upgrading from an 04 MDX to my 12 MDX. My old one's camera worked much better at night. I am glad I have the backup sensors to rely on at night since the camera image is pitiful.

New - 12 MDX Advance CBP/Ebony, silver roof rack with crossbars, towing package, Advance running boards, back up sensors, BSM, window tint, Acura remote starter and full size spare.
timbrwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

I agree, works good in the day but almost useless at night. All my other vehicles have very good image at night so this is a big disappointment since it's clearly not rocket science. I thought perhaps it was because the backup lights are so high they're not really shining down on anything...just out. I still may play around with some extra lights in back just to see.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

We had a discussion in some post some time ago. It seems like the rear backup light reflector have a direction design issue since it projects the light straight back but not down where the camera needs it. The light does not project the light down like the other older MDX models do.

That is why some people were thinking in installing some reflector light system in the back hooked to the reverse light wiring so that it will iluminate downwards like the old MDX's.

We noticed that the camera can pick up objects far away where the light shines but not down lower were it does not shine.

I tend to think it is more of a reverse light reflector design issue than the camera. Even the most sensitive cameras will have trouble on non-illuminated areas. I am looking, too, at what kind of light reflector I can install on the hitch or below the bumper to illuminate road below the rear end of the X.

AC
2010 Acura TL Tech.
2001 Mercedes ML 320
Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_MDX View Post
We had a discussion in some post some time ago. It seems like the rear backup light reflector have a direction design issue since it projects the light straight back but not down where the camera needs it. The light does not project the light down like the other older MDX models do.

That is why some people were thinking in installing some reflector light system in the back hooked to the reverse light wiring so that it will iluminate downwards like the old MDX's.

We noticed that the camera can pick up objects far away where the light shines but not down lower were it does not shine.

I tend to think it is more of a reverse light reflector design issue than the camera. Even the most sensitive cameras will have trouble on non-illuminated areas. I am looking, too, at what kind of light reflector I can install on the hitch or below the bumper to illuminate road below the rear end of the X.

AC
There are photos I posted in this thread. Acura definitely messed up with the lighting/camera setup on the newer MDX.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...-tech-mdx.html
Donodarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keynowin View Post
same issue here... i cant see anything at dark..
night vision was perfect on my old RDX
I agree. The Rdx was perfect at night. I just installed led reverse lights, they didn't help out as much as I hoped they would. They actually helped out a little bit in the distance, but no help below the bumper. I know it's not safe, but the led's really helped when I backed up in my driveway with my lights off, and just the reverse lights on. Possibly an option in your driveway or other safe areas???
2012AWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

I played around with shining some light behind the MDX while backing up and it improves things a little. I was thinking about some of the strips of LED's i've seen on Ebay and such (link below)...but I have no idea if the light pattern on these would provide enough light. There's room to mount something similar up above the license plate and it shouldn't be too hard to wire them into the backup lights. It really just needs some light pointing straight down.

DRL 5 High Power Eagle Eye LED Daytime Driving Light Backup Fog Lamp Euro Style | eBay
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was really hoping to find a solution to this when i did this search. We've had the mdx for 3 weeks now and this is the single most frusrating thing ive seen so far with an otherwise stellar vehicle.

Has anuone gone to acura about this? Seems like a legitimate safety issue.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

On your MDX you can adjust the brightness and the zoom level by turning and pushing the knob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: