Replacing interior trim! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Replacing interior trim!

Ok so I need some advice/help. My MDX has quite a bit of scratching on the interior simulated trim around the gear**** and a few other places. I want to replace it because it's a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Has anyone tried this before? If so, is it difficult?
sportsnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

One place you can look up part numbers is on the Delray Acura website. The parts diagrams for a base 2008 MDX are here. You'll find the parts you'll need by clicking on CENTER CONSOLE (1). Or click on the diagram below.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I replaced part number 10 in the diagram above. mine was cracked and somone tried to fix it with superglue, so it was cracked and melted looking. $94 for the part and $100 at the dealers to install. tried myself, massive PITA, gave up. they eventually had to remove the stereo to get enough wiggle room to get the piece back in.

build book calls for a 2.5 hour job with a removal of hte seats and everything between them. not necessary. also not just a simple job. can you buff out the scratches with some meg's plastx or something?
Old 03-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
I replaced part number 10 in the diagram above. mine was cracked and somone tried to fix it with superglue, so it was cracked and melted looking. $94 for the part and $100 at the dealers to install. tried myself, massive PITA, gave up. they eventually had to remove the stereo to get enough wiggle room to get the piece back in.

build book calls for a 2.5 hour job with a removal of hte seats and everything between them. not necessary. also not just a simple job. can you buff out the scratches with some meg's plastx or something?
I was going to suggest something similar. How bad are the scratches and swirls in the plastic? There are a few products that remove fine scratches. Probably cheaper to try those options first.

Megs PlastX, Novus Plastic polish, Plexus, etc..

Current- 1998 Black Currant Accord EX 4dr 4cyl- KYB GR2 Struts/H&R Sport Springs/Ingalls Camber kit / 17x7 Black Reaction Fuji Wheels

Previous- 1991 Black Accord LX- OEM 95 Accord EX wheels / Apex'i WS2 Exhaust / Cold Air Intake / Eibach Sportline springs / Neuspeed strut bar

pr3rak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

You don't have much to lose by trying - under $10 for one of the plastic polish products and you spend an hour seeing how it goes. It could save you from having to buy a $100 part and spending 2.5 hours of labor on replacing it. Good idea, guys!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

They are pretty bad. I will try to buy some of the stuff mentioned above and see if it works first. Thanks for the replies and the diagram!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

nsxtasy thank you for posting this!! This helps me too on a post I've gotten no response to, I'm trying to wire power for gps on the dash.

Awesome resource.
Uberwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

Ok so I bought some PlastX. I want to make sure this stuff is safe to use on this simulated wood. Has anyone used it on theirs? The bottle says to use on: Plastic Headlights, Plastic Boat Windows, Convertible Windows, Hard Plexiglass Surfaces, Scratched CD Surfaces. I just don't want to mess things up even worse.

Oh and slipkid, I am also replacing part number 10!

Last edited by sportsnbikes; 03-14-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added to response
Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
P_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
Ok so I bought some PlastX. I want to make sure this stuff is safe to use on this simulated wood. Has anyone used it on theirs? The bottle says to use on: Plastic Headlights, Plastic Boat Windows, Convertible Windows, Hard Plexiglass Surfaces, Scratched CD Surfaces. I just don't want to mess things up even worse.

Oh and slipkid, I am also replacing part number 10!
It works, but be prepared to spend quite a bit of elbow grease. If you can feel the scratches with your finger nail, then it would be difficult to remove them totally. Light scratches and swirl marks come off very nicely.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Similar issue here, but on rear door handles...can I get touch up paint for that gray metallic plastic on the door handle?

Previous Acuras:
bear1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Any solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1906 View Post
Similar issue here, but on rear door handles...can I get touch up paint for that gray metallic plastic on the door handle?
Hey bear1906, any solution to this one? I found the same issue, and came here searching. Would love to hear any thoughts about a touch-up to a deep scratch. I'll also inquire with the dealer if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Joe
allsyst3msgo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to hondacuraplanet
There's no touch up paint for interior pieces that I've ever seen.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: