Worn Leather Replacement Refused - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Worn Leather Replacement Refused

I am looking to get some feedback on what course to take in escalating my warranty claim to have my overly worn leather seat replaced. I left my 2009 MDX (24,000 miles) with the dealer to have the district rep evaluate my leather for a warranty replacement. Leather is worn and looks like it is 10 years old rather than 18 months old. District rep stated that the leather was "classified as normal characteristic of the leather". If this is normal, I am really worried about how it will look in another year. I traded a 2007 GL 450 and that leather (Not MB Tex) looked pristine when I traded it. I have contacted Acura and been assigned a case number. My discussions with the Acura caseworker have been more along the lines of a goodwill replacement. This is my first Acura so maybe that will be a factor. Anyone else have to deal with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Worn Leather Replacement Refused-dsc06341.jpg   Worn Leather Replacement Refused-dsc06342.jpg   Worn Leather Replacement Refused-dsc06343.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you been applying any conditioner to the leather? The seat does look worn. The sides of my seat does have those folds in the leather like yours but not the cracks. Hopefully acura compromises with you in some way. Good luck.
mdxdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxdn View Post
Have you been applying any conditioner to the leather? The seat does look worn. The sides of my seat does have those folds in the leather like yours but not the cracks. Hopefully acura compromises with you in some way. Good luck.
Where are you seeing the cracks? My front seats look just like that and the driver's seat has cracks on the side.
Dominik-X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

2007. Mine looks like that too. A little worse in fact because it is black.
duplicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Asteroids Champion

Mine has the same lines. I don't think it can be avoided if you drive the car.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

The key to maintaining leather is proper application of leather cleaners and conditioners.

A leather seat cushion that is used is going to have creases and krinkles.

George
Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabooba View Post
District rep stated that the leather was "classified as normal characteristic of the leather". If this is normal, I am really worried about how it will look in another year. I traded a 2007 GL 450 and that leather (Not MB Tex) looked pristine when I traded it.
It does look pretty normal for Acura leather. Also as noted it needs to be conditioned often. I imagine if Acura charged MB prices, it too would also have pristine leather after 3 years..........
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

sorry I don't see anything. My 04 definitely has worse "crack" lines, but no rips.
CODOG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe your pictures aren't showing as much detail as you are seeing in person.

From the pictures, all looks normal.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to m500
Looks normal to me. My 07 has the same folds as well. I don't see the cracks in your pictures.
2006 Lexus LS430 Sport
m500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Heck, my 5-month-old 2010 MDX base somewhat looks like that. Those creases are a sign that I need to get off my ass and condition the seats ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_SS View Post
It does look pretty normal for Acura leather. Also as noted it needs to be conditioned often. I imagine if Acura charged MB prices, it too would also have pristine leather after 3 years..........
Even Benz leather would look like that after 3 years without a regular care routine. If you see a daily driver Benz with perfect, crease-free leather after 3 years, either the driver is a 95lb wisp of a dude who conditions the leather obsessively, or it has MBTex, not leather.

Not that MBTex is a bad thing...many Benz enthusiasts swear by it, and prefer it over leather. I had a very similar "pleather" in my last car (a Saab), and loved it...looked like leather, felt like leather, but looked pristine with no maintenance. I liked it so much that, when I was looking at the MB GLK350 (before we found out we were gonna have twins, which is why I turned my attention to the MDX), I was adamant about getting one with MBTex rather than full leather (plus I planned on using the $2000 "saved" to justify a stereo upgrade).
ChicagoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree that it doesn't look that bad to me. My 2010 looks like that with 8000 miles on it. I had a Chevy Tahoe before the MDX and it was real bad after the first year and they refused to replace the seat cover because they told me I was getting in and out of the car wrong. I should be stepping up on the running board and using the running boards when I get out. I told them to come and show me how to get in and out of my car. They still refused the repair and I ended up spending $150 to have it fixed. The guy who fixed it said it is very common with all cars with leather and it keeps him busy.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

looks very normal.

who cares as long as it sits nice and drives nice? who has the time to go to dealer for mildly worn leather? its made to use. so use it

my very slanted opinion
cboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoGuy View Post
Heck, my 5-month-old 2010 MDX base somewhat looks like that. Those creases are a sign that I need to get off my ass and condition the seats ASAP.

Even Benz leather would look like that after 3 years without a regular care routine. If you see a daily driver Benz with perfect, crease-free leather after 3 years, either the driver is a 95lb wisp of a dude who conditions the leather obsessively, or it has MBTex, not leather.

Not that MBTex is a bad thing...many Benz enthusiasts swear by it, and prefer it over leather. I had a very similar "pleather" in my last car (a Saab), and loved it...looked like leather, felt like leather, but looked pristine with no maintenance. I liked it so much that, when I was looking at the MB GLK350 (before we found out we were gonna have twins, which is why I turned my attention to the MDX), I was adamant about getting one with MBTex rather than full leather (plus I planned on using the $2000 "saved" to justify a stereo upgrade).
The OP claims his 2007 GL450 that he traded had real leather in pristine condition.........I assume he is treating/cleaning the MDX the same way.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

My 07 with 23k miles on it looks about the same as yours. I think this is normal. I too don't see any cracks in the leather. So far I am on the one year leather cleaner and conditioning schedule. I've been using lexol and I am happy with the results. The lexol really works well on the leather chair I have at home.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: