2007 MDX Rear Diff & Tranny Fluid Flush Frequency - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

2007 MDX Rear Diff & Tranny Fluid Flush Frequency

Hello,

I've done some Google searching, and can't seem to find the answer. My searches did enable me to find this website, and I searched here as well, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have a question regarding the recommended frequency for changing the rear differential and transmission fluids. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about cars with respect to maintenance, so I'm a little lost.

My wife has a 2007 MDX. The rear diff service was done at 26740 (12/19/08). It was then done again at 39,869 on 12/5/09. The first transmission service was also done on 12/5/09.

Today, she had an appointment for an oil change and an unrelated TSB for an faulty oil pressure sensor, and they recommended a rear diff and transmission service. Forgetting that she had done these 6 months ago, she OK'd it. When she got home, she was pissed because it was $300+ for something that was done 6,000 miles ago.

She called the dealer back, and spoke with the Service Manager who thought it was a little odd that the mechanics recommended those two services again today. He suggested that she might be burning the fluid, which he said "meant something is wrong with the transmission." I find that a little hard to believe.

So, I'm taking a more active role in her car's maintenance. This MDX is owned and paid for for a year and a half now, so we'd like it to last as long as possible.

I've read some things on the Internet about tranny problems, but her car is rock solid. I'd rather not have to pay for unncessary fluid changes long before they are actually due.

Recommendations, feedback all welcome. Thank you.
crazyjeff100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only items that need to be done for maintenance are shown on the MID, the code for these items are shown in the owners manual

2011 INFINITI M37X

WHITE , EBONY
ductman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

You paid $300 for $30 in fluid and 30 minutes of work? Time to DIY that stuff. IMO
carguy07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
The only items that need to be done for maintenance are shown on the MID, the code for these items are shown in the owners manual
I believe it was showing B1, so I'll have to check in on that. I suppose if MID called for that 6 months after it was done last, there might be a problem there.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy07 View Post
You paid $300 for $30 in fluid and 30 minutes of work? Time to DIY that stuff. IMO
Nah, you didn't read my post above. Cars aren't my strong point. You have to know what you don't know, ask questions, and trust others.

If you want to ask me or my wife any Pharmacy questions, as Pharmacists, we'll be glad to help you. We're not car mechanics, yet we trust and like Acura. Just looking to see why the fluid was recommended/required so frequently, that's all.

My free time is limited, so $300 for this service, if needed, is well worth it.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The dealer screwed up and is charging you for it. You could probably complain to your state;s Motor Vehicle Department- they are usually very attuned to over-service by dealers. But if you do complain, you'll have to find another dealer. If you go back, you'll wind up with sugar in your gas tank.
I'm more interested in the TSB for the oil pressure sensor. Will you please copy the TSB number from your invoice, and post it? Thanks

Bye Bye- 2005 Blue Steel, Navi, OEM tow, CDT Audio EF 61CFi speakers
Bye Bye- 2003 Touring w/OEM Tow; SS/Qrtz.
"Often Wrong, Never in Doubt"
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds fishy. You can't' burn transmission fluid. It can leak, but that would probably be obvious. Also, it would be highly unlikely that you would leak fluid from both the transmission and the rear differential. My guess is the someone pushed a high profit service before checking your service history. I would speak to someone at the dealership and let them know your concerns.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: