How to disable the DRL's on a 2007 MDX - Page 6 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by craniotes
Sorry LS, but I've got to agree with the officer on this count. I've seen it time and time again; people driving at night with just their DRLs, and nothing else. Why is this, you ask? Because most cars these days have gauges that are constantly lit, hence the driver has no way of knowing that their actual headlights aren't on (beyond being aware enough to actually notice that their headlights aren't throwing out as much light as they usually do). And no, the DRLs don't activate your tail lights, which needless to say, creates a hazard when driving at night.

It's not really that hard to understand, is it?

Regards,
Adam

Exactly.

Cars like the Honda CRV, Honda Accord, etc. throw off a little light from their headlights when DRL's are on. No taillights. Gauges are backlit.

My dad has fallen victim to this in his new Accord.

It's just a stupid feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #77 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to LionSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to LionSpeed
Quote:
Originally posted by gmc74

crap, you are gaining on me
Can you just be a good boy & go away for few more weeks. As of now I'm still couple of double digits short.
LionSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Needsdecaf
Cars like the Honda CRV, Honda Accord, etc. throw off a little light from their headlights when DRL's are on. No taillights. Gauges are backlit.
You can also add pretty much every Lexus ever made to this list. Usually it's women and old folks driving LS/ES/RXs that I see driving around with just their DRLs.

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #79 (permalink)

A couple of points that we all may want to consider about DRLs:

1. I don't think people are driving around at night with DRLs on as an intentional act. Simply, they just forget to turn their headlights on, no more, no less. I have always wondered why car manufactures wire their cars so that the instrument clusters are illuminated during the daytime. By doing so, drivers have little clue they are driving at night with their headlights off. From the driver's seat, it appears your lights are on. This is especially true when driving around a well lit urban environment that have all the illumination of a surgical suite.

2. The value of DRLs is not that they make the car more conspicuous just because they are lit. The real value of DRLs is that they provide increased depth perception cues for oncoming drivers. The brain is an amazing computer. By providing a wider visual front, especially on darker cars, the brain is more easily able to quickly judge closure rates and distances, as a function of its amazing sleight of hand we call depth perception. That's why DRLs are so effective.
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth
highcountrymdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by highcountrymdx
That's why DRLs are so effective.
I suppose that's why they should be so effective, but unfortunately the data simply doesn't support this as fact. The safety increases cited by DRL supporters is negligible, while detractors can point to any number of tests which show no increase in safety, and in some cases even a minimal decrease.

And I agree, folks aren't driving around with their headlights off on purpose, they simply don't know any better because they have DRLs, and are tricked into thinking that their headlights are on.

However, there is one instance where I think we can all agree that DRLs are efficacious, and that's at dusk. Far too many drivers don't turn on their headlights during this twilight between day and night, which is precisely when your eyes are playing the most tricks on you.

Mind you, that's the only props I'm giving 'em.

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #81 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LionSpeed

Can you just be a good boy & go away for few more weeks. As of now I'm still couple of double digits short.
Not going to happen, though I will be in Vegas for the long weekend next week
Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by highcountrymdx
A couple of points that we all may want to consider about DRLs:

1. I don't think people are driving around at night with DRLs on as an intentional act. Simply, they just forget to turn their headlights on, no more, no less. I have always wondered why car manufactures wire their cars so that the instrument clusters are illuminated during the daytime. By doing so, drivers have little clue they are driving at night with their headlights off. From the driver's seat, it appears your lights are on. This is especially true when driving around a well lit urban environment that have all the illumination of a surgical suite.

2. The value of DRLs is not that they make the car more conspicuous just because they are lit. The real value of DRLs is that they provide increased depth perception cues for oncoming drivers. The brain is an amazing computer. By providing a wider visual front, especially on darker cars, the brain is more easily able to quickly judge closure rates and distances, as a function of its amazing sleight of hand we call depth perception. That's why DRLs are so effective.
You guys make my brain hurt, here is a simple answer. Make it mandatory that either a)the taillights are on with the DRLs, or b) that all cars with DRLs must have automatic lights... simple enough
Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ductman

I just have one question about ignorant driving

How come state troopers can drive like maniacs down the highway
at 100 mph plus and at the same time give out tickets to people
"speeding", I guess police officers don't practice what they preach
and please don't give the excuse that they had "driver training and
their Crown Vics are " beefed" up
the word hypocrite comes to mind.

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #84 (permalink)

Soooooooooo anywho, did we ever find out if this resistor fix works over time? Did your MDX blow up or anything?

FWIW I hate DRLs too..
kawikid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #85 (permalink)

So, while the argument that DRLs on >'07 MDXs may not provide sufficient light at night to fool someone into thinking their headlights are on, this is not the case for all vehicles. As stated above, the absence of tailights being on in some cars with DRLs can be dangerous. I just traded in a Volvo XC90 for my MDX and the DRLs on the Volvo were .... the low beam headlights! No difference in headlights on or off except for the tailights. I had the dealer reprogram the ECU to make the DRLs the side marker lights (several Volvo owners did this on Swedespeed forum) and this gave me the "best" of both worlds. Nonetheless, cars using low beams as DRLs can create problems for other drivers at dusk and dark.
YMMV.
2008 MDX Steel Blue/Taupe
1992 Legend LS Sedan Vineyard Grey/Taupe -- Alpine, Hawk, Koni, Work wheels, JDM HID headlights
2005 TSX auto
gsMDoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #86 (permalink)

easy DRL fix

OK, I don't like DRL. I think it should be for motorcycles only. I don't want to stand ou from the pack and if I do, I'll just turn on the running lights (an option which misses many pro drl folks) when I want to.

Gaffer's tape. Really.

A few feet of good black gaffer's tape will cover over the drl. no wiring, no problems, and best, covers the damn DRL.

When I bought a BMW they asked me what I wanted programmed into the car... There is no reason Acura can't do the same.

Tape....really.
speedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #87 (permalink)

Blame it on Canadian government for mandated this DRL's in the 80's.
MDXgray2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #88 (permalink)

WOW

A request for an electrical work around has "evolved" into a big debate over the appropriateness of the DRL and to the South Park Classic "Blame Canada"

As Canadians we have

1) Mandatory seatbelts
2) Mandatory DRL
3) Mandatory helmets for motorcycle operators

I'm OK with all 3 and while I can empathize with the lack of freedom of choice on this issue for Canadian drivers, I believe the roads are safer with them. I also agree running tail lights should be a part of the DRL system, particularly for those cars which use the low beam headlights as the DRL.

In the Porsche 928 I operate which was imported from the US and was of sufficient vintage not to require a DRL retrofit I always turn the fog lights on as DRL. Due to the car's color and the ability to approach and overtake other cars at a fairly high rate of speed with no front illumination I have nearly been involved in 3 accidents because the other car "didn't see me coming." when I was passing. One instance involved a semi and I had 3 passengers with me on a double lane highway.

After a friend bought a similar car (imported from the US) he asked why I always ran with the fog lights on. After a month of ownership he also turns his on religiously.

I don't believe DRL make drivers lazy, they just make the front of oncoming or overtaking vehicles that much more visible (and tail lights would help as well). As mentioned if one life is saved or accident prevented it is worth the effort.

There you have it, a Canadian perspective (and not the only one by a long shot).

Now

Back to the original topic....

2007 Nimbus Grey MDX Elite
2008 Chevy Avlalanche
1985 Porsche 928S - RIP
1980 GMC Jimmy 4x4
Figgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #89 (permalink)

I didn't read thru this entire thread, but I'm guessing most who are posting in this thread are not fans of DRL. Myself included, I really don't like DRL mainly because I don't like the way it makes the car look.

EXCEPT the MDX. When I first realized those are DRLs next to the foglights, I thought to myself that's very cool. It's something I used to do on the BMWs I had to make pseudo DRLs - leaving just the fog lights on. I really like that look.

No, I don't leave my HIDs on during the day
Scoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Figgen

In the Porsche 928 I operate which was imported from the US and was of sufficient vintage not to require a DRL retrofit I always turn the fog lights on as DRL. Due to the car's color and the ability to approach and overtake other cars at a fairly high rate of speed with no front illumination I have nearly been involved in 3 accidents because the other car "didn't see me coming." when I was passing. One instance involved a semi and I had 3 passengers with me on a double lane highway.

Sounds like you want use DRL's as a way
to make up for your poor passing decisions. If your 928 has that much power you should be back in your lane well before you have a close call with cars coming in the other direction. It is the passers responsibility to make sure they can make the safe pass. If the passer is making a safe pass they will not have close calls. The other drivers shouldn't have 'to see you coming' because you should not be in thier lane.
This is anothe reason I am not a fan of DRL's

07 MDX sport
07 Specialized Tarmac
09 Brompton M3L-X
09 Ritchey Breakaway/SRAM Force
adr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: