Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Powder Springs Ga
MDX stalls while driving
Hi all, first time poster to this forum and unfortunately did not see a lot on this topic. My 2002 MDX is stalling randomly while the vehicle is moving. I am concerned that this is going to be an expensive part swapping exercise. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Vehicle: 2002 MDX, 153K miles.
MDX stalled several times in the past month while driving at speeds greater than 40 miles per hour. When the condition occurs, the engine becomes non responsive to accelerator changes, engine RPM slowly bleeds down to zero. Power steering and brakes are lost. After putting the transmission in park and attempting a restart, the engine will not start anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes. The engine will turn over, but will not start (not a battery problem). After this time, the vehicle will start and operate normally with no fault codes displayed whatsoever. All electrical systems appear to be functioning properly when this event occurs (not an electrical power disruption, at least not in the cabin).
The problem seems to be random, it occurred with the transmission set in 5th gear, 4th gear, and 3rd gear.
1. First occurrence, after running for about 30 minutes, engine died and restarted 10 minutes later. Drove vehicle home and tried several engine starts. Engine sputtered but would not start in driveway. Next morning, the vehicle was fine.
2. Second occurrence was about a week later. Vehicle was running for at least 30 minutes when it happened.
3. Replaced the EGR valve and added a can of seafoam to the tank. I was thinking perhaps I had bad gas. I have had two EGR valves replaced already on this car, thought it might be the problem again.
4. Problem did not occur for two weeks, I thought I had it solved.
5. Problem reoccurred about 1.5 hours into a drive to North Carolina.
6. On trip back from North Carolina through high elevation and hilly terrain, problem occurred 4 times, about 20 minutes apart. After this period, problem did not reoccur for the remainder of the drive to Atlanta (about 1.5 hours).
7. Dealer replaced fuel pump due to low fuel pressure and debris in the pump.
8. Vehicle stalled 45 minutes into the drive home from the dealer, but this time the vehicle died while accelerating through a stop light. The engine would sputter when a restart was attempted, then would not sputter at all. Engine restarted 5 minutes later.
Any insight would be appreciated!