Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

H11, but the wrong bulb?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lion9mdx 
#1 ·
So the low beam on the passenger side of my 2004 MDX went out. Yes, definitely the low beam. So I ran to the dealer and picked up two H11 bulbs (Hey, it lasted for almost 9 years and I get list. . .)

Should have put it in in the parking lot of the dealer. Instead went home and dealt with it later. Later comes - I go to put the bulb in - and it's no good. The bulb I took out is an HB3. The bulb I have is an H11. I thought the H11 was low beam, HB3 was high. That's what the Acura parts sheet shows.

Where the bulb goes into the socket on the headlight assembly even shows HB3 for low, H11 for high. And I've double checked several times - this is definitely the low that's out (The lens is the "round" lens next to the parking light.) When I put the high beams on, both lights come on at the driver's side, and only the high on the pass side.

Am I going nuts?

#2 ·
H11 is definitely the low beam on the 2004 MDX, and it's definitely the round lens next to the parking light. HB3 is also called 9005 - same thing - and it's definitely the proper high beam bulb on the 2004 MDX. The high beam is the light in the center next to the center grille. I confirmed all of this on my own MDX.

#3 ·
I am a complete idiot. . . Three times I went out to look at this, and three times I somehow got myself turned around and simply pulled the wrong bulb. Don't know how or why or where my head is. But problem solved! Nothing like taking a 30 second job and turning it into 30 minutes of head scratching!

#5 ·
Don't feel bad. When replacing a low beam last month, I started to do the exact same thing, although I figured it out before actually getting the high beam out. (The electrical connector was wedged really tight, so it wasn't coming out easily.)

By the way, you didn't touch the glass part of the bulb with your hands, did you? If so, you should clean it off with alcohol now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.