Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Goodbye MDX, hello RDX!

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  pej7445 
#1 ·
A few months ago, I traded my 2005 MDX Touring/Nav for a 2013 RDX FWD Tech. MDX had no problems, ran almost like new -- but I wanted better gas mileage and more modern tech, and I've never been comfortable above 90K miles on a car.

At trade, the MDX had 125,000 miles on it, and had given me 7 years of trouble-free service. I logged all gas purchases, and the final stats were:
- City/Suburban driving (32% of mileage): 16.2 MPG
- Highway driving (68% of mileage; usually interstate @ 70 MPH): 22.5 MPG
- Combined, overall (for total mileage): 20.2 MPG

Total Maintenance/Repair/Replacement costs over 7 years: $9,000.
- Mostly periodic maintenance per Acura's recommendations (including the timing belt replacement, new water pump & spark plugs, etc. required at 105K miles).
- "Repairs" consisted of turning warped brake rotors twice, replacing some broken motor mounts at 95K miles; nothing major.
- Total cost also includes 2 sets of replacement tires (Michelin OEM spec).
- Total Costs for the MDX compare very favorably to the costs for non-Honda products I've had in the past

FWIW, after 6000 miles I like the RDX a lot, so far; but, I've got to say that I LOVED the MDX.
- RDX gas mileage is better (25.1 mpg overall, 31 in highway driving).
- Cabin is nice and almost as big as the MDX, including the leg room in back. But, I miss the MDX's larger size more than I thought I would, especially for cargo space.
- RDX has no rear A/C vents, passenger seat doesn't adjust for height.
- RDX Nav system now has a lot of restrictions when vehicle is in motion to avoid "driver distraction." They say to use the voice control instead, but that is quirky and very distracting to use, IMO. So, I find the new nav system is less useful; had I known that before purchase, I probably would have skipped the Tech package.
- A few other niceties are missing that I hope are still on the newer MDXes (like "retained accessory power"--on the RDX if you stop the engine, all accessories stop--the radio, or any Handsfree phone call you are on--they all turn off, whereas they continued for 5 minutes on my old MDX; if this is customizable, I haven't found it yet).

So, I enjoyed my 7 years as an MDX owner and as a member of MDXers.org. It was a great source of information, especially at the beginning when the vehicle was new to me--these kinds of forums do a great service. Thanks to all the moderators for all their effort.

I'll continue to check in occasionally, esp. to see what y'all say about any future improvements Acura might make to the MDX.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck with the new ride! The 2nd time around should prove better for the RDX. I think the MDX may have gotten it right on the first try! ;)

#4 ·
Of the two RDX's, I prefer the turbo 4's drive,feel. Etc...

But I also hate first year or two depreciation, so I never buy new...

#5 ·
I had considered the new RDX recently when I decided to replace my 04 MDX, but the lack of cargo space was a major con against it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.