Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Plastic air con tabs that break

65K views 193 replies 120 participants last post by  habbyguy 
#1 ·
I've began prototyping replacement tabs for the 01-06 mdx's. Keep an eye out in this thread for details on how to get ahold of them and specs. Test fitting begins next week and I plan on making a fairly high volume limited run of tab tops that will connect to the bottom section of the side/center/ and rear vents. Pro type is white I plan on manufacturing in a low gloss black (will look stock minus the chrome trim tab on the oem). Any questions shoot away!

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome! I need one now but will try superglue. 2004 MDX with too many cheap parts that have broken over the years and a failed transmission at 80K to boot. First and last Acura and have since switched to Lexus. Will replace MDX with Lexus RX when the tranny fails again which I am almost certain it will.

#7 ·
Test fit went well. I purposely made it a bit large so I have some refinements to make to match it more closely to the OEM size but still have it be stronger than OEM. I'll blast out another prototype this week and hopefully be closer to a solution. If anyone has a spare vent lying around they'd donate to the cause (so I can make this faster/easier) let me know and we will work something out. Much appreciated.

#168 ·
Test fit went well. I purposely made it a bit large so I have some refinements to make to match it more closely to the OEM size but still have it be stronger than OEM. I'll blast out another prototype this week and hopefully be closer to a solution. If anyone has a spare vent lying around they'd donate to the cause (so I can make this faster/easier) let me know and we will work something out. Much appreciated.

I may have one, where do I send it? If ya still need it, form an '02.

#9 ·
So I did some massaging of the second pro type and got it to fit. It's tight and strong. I don't see these coming loose at all. Here's where I need you all's input- I am figuring a satin/matte black is the best color. I will NOT be able to replicate the chrome tab that's on the front of the OEM units but rather it will be a single solid color. I am thinking of selling them in a 4-5 pack to replace the front tabs so they all match. Apparently the rears are different and do not suffer the same failure rate. So with the new pieces installed the front will be different than the rear. Does this work for everyone? Just looking for opinions before I go ahead and start producing the units.
Here's some pics of fitment-

#12 ·
Did they come in any other color besides black? I could /can make them in any color I was assuming black was the only option-
Any other requests? Also I'd probably stick to selling them in a 4 or 5 pack to save the hassle of pricing and shipping etc. this should come to fruition very soon do keep your eyes out-

#17 ·
I'm in, what's price looking like (roughly) so far?
Ballpark

#21 ·
I'll guinea pig if you need. Black if you can do it. Or I'll go with what ya got till you hit final production

#23 ·
04 yup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.