Need replacemen REAR blower 2001 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Need replacemen REAR blower 2001 MDX

My 2001 MDX touring edition rear a/c blower has been out for a while. I have replaced the transistor but it made no difference. Done a lot of trouble-shooting but until today could not isolate fault. Managed to get to the blower connection, took connector plug off, and ran 12V leads from battery to the connection tabs. No blower action. This says it has to be the blower motor. Acura parts in Peoria, AZ wants $402 for new blower motor assembly, so I went looking for other suppliers. No one seems to have it, and all my online searches return ads for front blowers even when I specify REAR. Anybody got a lead for me at other vendors. I thought Rock Auto would have it for sure but they don't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Hondapartsunlimited got it for 234:
2001 Acura MDX 5-DOOR PREM (PKG) MOTOR ASSY., FAN - (79310-S2K-003) - Acura Parts Online : Honda Parts Unlimited | Genuine OEM Honda Parts & Accessories

Amazon got it for 213: https://www.amazon.com/Acura-79310-S.../dp/B00J36VGXC

Finally eBay got it used for 75 bucks: 2003-2008 Honda Pilot Rear Blower Motor OEM 79310-S2K-003 | eBay

Search for Part Number: 79310-S2K-003 wherever you are looking for prices.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for the leads. But, even $213 is a bit rich for my taste. I got a front blower when that died for $65 at Advance Auto Parts, so that seems more reasonable. What makes the back blower so much more expensive?

ps - I forgot to mention I put my voltmeter on the connector blades with engine on and all switches on that would control the rear blower, and there was 14 volts at the connector. So I am pretty sure the blower is what I need. Also I'm relieved that it seems to indicate the other parts in that system are OK.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Probably because the Front Blower is used in lots of cars (like a universal fitment) and that lowers the price dramatically. The rear blower only gets used in a couple of models that have 3 Zones which are not a lot of Honda/ACURA products and thus is a specialty item, You can probably get by with the used blower.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 PM

go to rockauto.com

FOUR SEASONS 75847 Info
Rear; w/ Wheel

$104.79
Add Part

DONT CHECK ON ACURA MDX 2001 BUT CHOSE ACURA MDX 2002
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 AM

You can find used parts in craigslist and ebay if you can't afford new but there is the risk of the part falling again.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

On using Rock Auto - is it certain that the 2001 and 2002 blowers are identical? You had it right that I put 2001 in my search and there was no match.

Also, has anyone actually pulled this blower out of their MDX? I seem to remember reading somewhere in the Acura Service Manual that we have to take the entire console apart to get the blower out. I can't believe it's that hard - that looks like an awful job.

Thanks for all the posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Update on the rear blower: Got the blower out without taking the console apart, even tho the service manual does indeed call for that. Guess that would make a couple more labor hours at $125 or so per hour (that's what I paid an Acura dealer in metro Atlanta recently.) Notice I did not say it came out easily. It is a very tight fit coming out the passenger side and required warping the kick panels on the console a bit out of shape to get enough clearance. Why the engineers did not leave the cutout in the console tunnel sheet metal a little bit bigger, we may never know. It could have been so easy but.....ah well, I always say the engineers ought to have to work on these things.

As for the replacement, Advance Auto Parts supposedly has "the right one" at $165.99. It comes in tomorrow A.M. so I will see if it's the right one. O'Reilly Auto Parts also has one but the connector blades have a different pattern than the old one. I looked up the RockAuto and it was the cheapest by far, at $104.79, supposedly same manufacturer as the Advance Auto version. Don't know yet about the connector blades. None of these are priced anywhere near Acura's gold plated version.

Stay tuned for the "Rest of the Story" as Paul Harvey said.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

The one that i posted is direct fit no change on connections

and the problem with the motors is because they are carbon brushes and all the dust from carbon brushes accumulate inside and make then cease

everyday mechanics find a way to do the job faster (hands on the job) engineers only do the job in a pc
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Another update: The Advance Auto Parts blower is a perfect fit, looks exactly the same as the original, fits correctly and the electric connection is the same. Solved the problem finally after weeks of trouble shooting, wish I had gone to trouble to get at blower sooner. Their price was $166 but I showed the Rock Auto printout for same blower at $104 and they gave me a break down to $152. Still way better than Acura's price. Hope it lasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: