vtm4 does not engage- button problem? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

vtm4 does not engage- button problem?

I've never even had to use it before but it is snowing today and I thought I might check it out on the snowpack.

I Pulled the dash last year replaced all of the little LED's that were out on the cruise control, hazard,fog lamps, etc.. Since I've never used it before I really don't know what to expect. I did change the vtm4 fluid 13k ago. No vtm4 warning light has ever lit up.

When I press the button- nothing. The indicator light on the button itself does not light up. The button does not click or light up or make any indication that it is engaging.

So I've been troubleshooting....
I checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be a fuse for it.

There are two LED bulbs in the button itself and it;s possible that I May have put them in 'switch-a-roo' by accident. When I turn the interior lights on the the button glows yellowish behind just the chassis graphic instead of greenish like most of the other interior lights. When I press the button does the indicator light on the button glow green or yellow?

For instance the recirculation button has a yellow indicator light and RR AC has a green indicator light even thought they both have a green background.
PPossum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Just checking but you do know it only works when in 1st, 2nd or reverse, right? You have to select the gear using the gear lever. It's for when you are stuck not for driving around.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Just checking but you do know it only works when in 1st, 2nd or reverse, right? You have to select the gear using the gear lever. It's for when you are stuck not for driving around.
yeah yeah, never been stuck but i would like to know it's there if I need it.
Have you ever been stuck?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPossum View Post
When I turn the interior lights on the the button glows yellowish behind just the chassis graphic instead of greenish like most of the other interior lights.
I never noticed a color on the button glows when the lights go on. The lettering and/or icon just seems illuminated as white.

Quote:
When I press the button does the indicator light on the button glow green or yellow?
On my 2004, it's yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Just checking but you do know it only works when in 1st, 2nd or reverse, right? You have to select the gear using the gear lever.
Correct. And the car has to be stopped when doing so.

The VTM-4 lock (what the button does) will release itself if you press it again (of course), if you shift into D3, D4, or D5, or if you turn off the ignition switch.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah yeah, never been stuck but i would like to know it's there if I need it.
Have you ever been stuck?
Ummmm... What kind of reply is that to someone who's trying to answer your question?
shaqdeez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I've never even had to use it before but it is snowing today and I thought I might check it out on the snowpack.

I Pulled the dash last year replaced all of the little LED's that were out on the cruise control, hazard,fog lamps, etc.. Since I've never used it before I really don't know what to expect. I did change the vtm4 fluid 13k ago. No vtm4 warning light has ever lit up.

When I press the button- nothing. The indicator light on the button itself does not light up. The button does not click or light up or make any indication that it is engaging.

So I've been troubleshooting....
I checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be a fuse for it.

There are two LED bulbs in the button itself and it;s possible that I May have put them in 'switch-a-roo' by accident. When I turn the interior lights on the the button glows yellowish behind just the chassis graphic instead of greenish like most of the other interior lights. When I press the button does the indicator light on the button glow green or yellow?

For instance the recirculation button has a yellow indicator light and RR AC has a green indicator light even thought they both have a green background.
Read this: ONLY work In 1/2 or Reverse gear only...IF YOUR selsector is D5 or D4 or D3...Light would not come up...

Op of this thread, next time you ask for help. don't have an attitude !

Once you ask a question: You consider a begger
The people that reply your question is a "Giver"

So what you say when somone give you something for free?

You say "thank you" and move on !
HTL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTL Motorsports View Post
Read this: ONLY work In 1/2 or Reverse gear only...IF YOUR selsector is D5 or D4 or D3...Light would not come up...
The car also needs to be stopped, not moving.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, will auto-disengage if you reach more than 18 mph.

Tested mine earlier today, drove threw the yard in the snow. One of these days I am gonna just go out into the field to really check it ou.

Mike
Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

i was wondering this exact same thing today...so the truck has to be stopped, in 1st or 2nd gear..and then hit the button? And will the button light up or not??

thanks guys
imncrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

vtm4 does not engage- button problem?

Btw: the owners manual has all this information. Think its also printed on the sun visor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imncrxtc View Post
i was wondering this exact same thing today...so the truck has to be stopped, in 1st or 2nd gear..and then hit the button?
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imncrxtc View Post
And will the button light up or not??
Yes, the yellow LED built into the button should light up when you press it (while stopped and in 1, 2, or R).

Oh, and since this is only lit when you're using the VTM, it's unlikely the bulb for the LED would ever burn out. (The bulb for the backlighting of the button is a different story, of course, since it's lit whenever the car's lights are on.)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaqdeez View Post
Ummmm... What kind of reply is that to someone who's trying to answer your question?
I noticed that too! That's why I never even bothered to put in my $0.02 answer his question!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Okay-
Just checking this thread and I thought I would update it. I recently bought an interactive pdf service manual for the 01-02 MDX. When I started this thread we were on the verge of an epic Snowpocalypse and I was hoping for an answer that is not in the owners manual or right above my forehead for the past 100,000 miles.

According to the service manual, step 1 is to check the No 6 (15A) fuse in the drivers side relay box.

After following the steps I can conclude that my VTM-4 problem is within the switch itself.

To be honest, I actually was stuck in Killington, VT once during after an ice storm in 12/07. I made it back up Killington Mtn Rd but I refused to venture back south on 20 miles of ice to get to the interstate. I was worried last year because my tires are not fresh but they are still good. I like to wait until November to get new tires because of the snow around here. This MDX has been able to carry me and my load everywhere during just about anything that the weather has thrown at us. Tons of snow without using VTM-4.

So, I'm asking to excuse my not following up on my brash reply in post #3. It was not the answer I was looking for.
nsxtasy provided me with a complete and precise answer to my question and I appreciate that. I wasn't sure if putting the green bulb in the yellow bulb spot and vice-versa may have caused the button to not work. The button would push in but not stay depressed as it should. The dashboard VTM-4 light is on for four seconds when I start the car- as it should
I'm not sure how exactly to upload a partial PDF but I can probably figure it out. [EDIT: just switched the bulbs and the button works, does not click but does light up orange indicator after pressed, they were inserted backwards after all!!]

If you have any stories of using VTM-4 in the snow, chime in. I might have been missing out on an excellent feature all this time.

Like, should I be using it after a snowstorm when the roads are all half plowed and slushy? I have never been stuck in one spot with spinning wheels although I have had times with a white knuckle grip on the wheel in a few inches of snow. I am pretty experienced snow driver. I used to live up in the Colorado ski towns with a turbo Subaru.

-cheers

Last edited by PPossum; 08-03-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: final question, edit above
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vybzkartel View Post
I noticed that too! That's why I never even bothered to put in my $0.02 answer his question!
For the record, if he was trying to answer my question all he would have to do is walk over to his vehicle and turn on the interior lights. That was not actually answering my question. Putting the bulbs in backwards ('switch-a-roo', as I described) made a difference in the circuit somehow.

-cheers
Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

In the case anyone who is replacing the interior LED's is wondering what color the VTM-4 button lights are here is a picture of a properly functioning VTM-4 button.

-cheers
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: