just bought 2002 mdx touring and have several issues now...vtm4 light is main problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon23
just bought 2002 mdx touring and have several issues now...vtm4 light is main problem

Ok so here we go ill explain everything and if anyone could help me solve these issues I would be so happy. I just bought a 2002 acura mdx touring. It has 192, 000 miles.

1st problem- I turn my heater on and let it warm to normal operating temperature..the issue is it doesnt get hot like it should..I turn it all the way to 60f n it is cold thrn I turn to 90 n it seems like it stops warming up after it hits the 70 mark. I checked the actuator switch as I turn the temp up and the valve moves like it is suppose to...I'm talking bout the valve behind the motor in the hose that opens the airflow to allow more heat in. I dont know what it could be. *note that my button lights for the temp control doesnt light up all the time. I pound above it and sometimes they come on but it doesnt seem to make it any hotter.

2nd issue....sometimes when I go to start the car it doesnt start. Just all my dash lights come on...it doesnt do this much but it is an issue.

3rd problem- my vtm4 light comes on. Sometimes I start the car n it comes on.. other times I start it and it wont come on until I'm driving for bout 10 min...ive noticed the time it doesnt come on varies. When this light comes on. It is the only light that comes on...now I topped off my rear differential thinkn it would fix it but it didnt. This is a big issue because I'm gettn worse mpg and it will be bad on my tranny. Please any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My last problem is sometimes when I put my car in park and leave it running. Ill go to put it in different gear but it wont let me. Ill turn the car off then back on and it will switch gears no problem.

Now I got a warranty but not sure what problems are so I cant see if their under warranty. Please I need all the help I can get...I know a good amount about cars but not this stuff. I will be doing all the work so please explain. Thank u and have a blessed day.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello brandon..

Your 1st issue: Most likely your air mix motor is out! or the flap is stuck somehow..
Check it, some pics below give you some ideas

2nd issue: possible your starter is bad..Need to replace it due to high mileage anyway

3rd issue: Your VTM-4 light usually Temp sensor goes bad, that trigger light to come on..If you VTM-4 light goes on conjunction with MIL, then you have issue with Engine performance! In your case, only VTM-4 light is on, My guess it would be temp sensor..Check VTM-4 Codes to verify this!

Here a DIY: VTM-4 light probelm - Temp sensor replacement DIY

As for MPG low, you need a valve adjustment (Intake valves clearance is very loose, very common) and EGR port cleaning and Spark plug change!

Last issue: brake light switch is bad not releasing your shift lock solenoid (verify this have someone behind you monitor your brake light while you step on the brake; or something else wrong in the shift lock system; possible solenoid intermittent failure; quick test is if you hear click while brake pedal is depress.

Good luck

Danny @ HTL Motorsports
HTL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok I take I the air mix motor is under centerconsole on passenger side. Also what do u mean when u were talking about the Mil is in conjuction wit vtm4 light..also where is this temp sensor at...is it the one on the back of the rear diff... (when looking under car from back its the one right on the rear diff) is that the one
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

hey brandon you stay up late at night too ha ! respond time @ 3:32am

anyhow, Check out the air mix motor under your center dash area..

In your case mil did not come on with VTM-4 light, i just mention it because if your MIL come on for any engine performance issue, that will also tigger VTM-4 light.. Because VTM-4 need your engine run 100% torque in order to operate normally..
they are conjunction with one another put it in a Different word.

Yes, Check out the DIY link i posted..the sensor is expose if you remove the protective cover..

I just recommend you common issue with MDX, but just to be sure, Codes need to be pull 1st and monitor sensor to get proper diagnose before replacing parts!

Even if your VTM-4 system is working properly, VTM-4 light illuminate if you use wireless radio equipment or under 8v or over 16v due to bad alternator..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Let us know if we can help you more of your issue..we have wiring diagrams and repair process for honda/acura vehicles.

BTW..I'm ex Honda/Acura Dealer TECH currently running my own shop...Over 10 years Experienced ASE and factory technical Trained!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Haha yea my late nights are a bad habit I try n break but dont work out too well...ok I'm about to start tearing things aparr n checkin them out....as far as when u said I need to check the codes...how can I do that...I dont have a code reader....ive noticed that when the light isnt on I went to see if the vtm4 fuctions properly like how it is suppose to and I came to the conclusion that it does work correctly
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTL Motorsports View Post
hey brandon you stay up late at night too ha ! respond time @ 3:32am
Times on mdxers.org are displayed in your local time zone. He's in Ohio on Eastern Time, you're out west on Pacific Time. So even though his post says 3:32 am for you (and 5:32 am for me, here on Central Time), he actually posted at 6:32 am in his local time, and probably had just gotten up.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Haha wish that were true..Im an all nighter....n I thinknit was around 4 or 5 when I posted...now as far as my issues go...I got my heat working...it ended up being the screw on top of the valve was slightly loose..I think...I had tapped around that area a bit n check all connections n it then started working...thanks for all the replies..this forum has made my experience with acura just a lil better
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

nice job
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks.... now all I did was tighten that screw...should I have set it at a certain spot n then tightened it or what...I feel like it could be just a lil warmer...and how far is the valve suppose to turn? Would it be wise to just take the whole valve out and clean and lube it
Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's up to you, if you anal about your car, yes remove inspect and clean it that help.

As far as positioning it.. just make sure it open/close all the way, manually and electrically..

Hard to describe it, but do as you feel right.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Question...ill be going to pull-a-part in the morning..if they have an Acura mdx but not the right year. Will the temp sensor from say a 2000-2006 work? I have the 2002...would it be an isue or not?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

it should be ok
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Re: just bought 2002 mdx touring and have several issues now...vtm4 light is main pro

Hey HTL! Sorry to bug ya but u never answered my question about pulling the codes...I mean is there something I can do with the car itself to check the codes or what..cause I dont have a code reader.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Re: just bought 2002 mdx touring and have several issues now...vtm4 light is main pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTL Motorsports View Post
it should be ok
Ok. Lets hope causw I know my luck they arent gonna have the exact year. Let alone an mdx

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: