Having timing belt, water pump done at Indy shop. What else? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Having timing belt, water pump done at Indy shop. What else?

Do I need to get done? 06 mdx with 98000 miles. I can tell that it needs a tune up so I figud I might as well get the tb wp done but I am going to independent shop. What else?

Adjust timing valve?
Check side and front engine mount?
dc1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would do everything else in the maintenance schedule that has exceeded its recommended service interval since the last time it was done. Some of the items need servicing based on mileage, others based on time, still others based on a combination of mileage or time, whichever comes first. Here are the recommended intervals for the most significant service items, according to the owner's manual:
  • change oil and filter - every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
  • brake fluid - every 3 years regardless of mileage
  • transmission fluid and transfer case fluid - first time at 45K miles or 3 years; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • VTM service including differential fluid - first two times every 15K miles or 1 year; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • coolant - the recommendation is 120K miles or 10 years, whichever comes first, the first time, and after that 60K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. However this will be flushed (replaced) when they replace the water pump, and that will re-set your interval for changing the coolant
  • air filter - every 30K miles regardless of time
  • cabin dust and pollen filter - every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • adjust valves - every 105K miles regardless of time
  • spark plugs - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
  • timing belt (usually also includes water pump) - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
So, for example, if you haven't flushed the brake fluid in the past three years, I would do that. If you haven't replaced the air filter in the past 30K miles, I would do that. Etc.

One other item not on the maintenance schedule that would be a good idea is to replace the two large cooling system hoses (upper and lower). They're not expensive, they do fail, and this is a good time to do it, not only for the long interval, but also because it will save coolant and labor by doing it at this time.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
Do I need to get done? 06 mdx with 98000 miles. I can tell that it needs a tune up so I figud I might as well get the tb wp done but I am going to independent shop. What else?

Adjust timing valve?
Check side and front engine mount?
For a basic no frills, essentials only, add tensioner and Spark plugs. I saved big on the parts by getting them from Tim

I asked my dealer about the valve adjust and he told me if you can't hear them, wait until you can. Sounds sketchy but at $450, I have to wait anyway. At 130,000, whisper quite. He continues to say leave it alone.

A good way to listen to it without having a stethoscope, take a socket wrench extension or breaker bar and put one end on a metal part of the engine and your ear on the other end. If something is off, you'll hear it, otherwise, it's music to your ears.

Call Tim Poliniak for Acura parts 1-866-347-8355
kghjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even though my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," I have to break from that and suggest that you ask for replacement of the front main seal.

To get to the timing belt, the crankshaft pulley must be pulled and everything removed, which exposes the bare crankshaft and the front seal. The seal is very cheap and the labor should be minimal, so don't let the guy charge you for the full labor cost. It shouldn't take more than an additional half hour (if a novice like us is to do it).
NewMDXOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thank you everyone appreciate it!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kghjr View Post
I asked my dealer about the valve adjust and he told me if you can't hear them, wait until you can. Sounds sketchy but at $450, I have to wait anyway. At 130,000, whisper quite. He continues to say leave it alone.
I couldn't hear mine but I told my mechanic to go ahead and adjust them anyway, because they had never been done and I was past the recommended 105K miles. After doing them, he said they were off a bit and it was a good thing that I had him do them. And now I don't have to worry about doing them for another 105K miles.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Intake valve clearance always loose, even though your car run smooth; no valve noise..Engine performance is not full ! Recommend valve adjustment 105k interval..
HTL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Holy crap it's a lot. Guys I'm going to independent shop to save money not to get my car rebuilt.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Holy crap it's a lot. Guys I'm going to independent shop to save money not to get my car rebuilt.
Just because his dealer charges $450 for a valve adjustment, doesn't mean that's what your independent shop will charge. If you want to know how much your shop will charge, ask them! (They can give you an estimate before they actually do it, and you can decide whether or not to tell them to go ahead.)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Just because his dealer charges $450 for a valve adjustment, doesn't mean that's what your independent shop will charge. If you want to know how much your shop will charge, ask them! (They can give you an estimate before they actually do it, and you can decide whether or not to tell them to go ahead.)
Ok, thanks. Hey I just noticed you're in chicago. Can you recommend some good cheap shops in the area?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I shopped around for pricing on our timing belt replacement, the independent was not enough less than the dealer for me to use them. I liked paying a few more dollars to have Acura standing behind the replacement work. And, I just saved $400 by replacing the transmission fluid, differential fluid, transaxle oil, and bleeding the brakes myself at home. If you change your own oil, you can do these too. Good luck.
tom34diy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, thanks. Hey I just noticed you're in chicago. Can you recommend some good cheap shops in the area?
I have most of my service done by Advanced Auto Clinic in Wilmette, right off the Edens at the Lake Avenue exit. The prices are reasonable - much less than dealers, and less than many independents. They know what they're doing, fixing things right the first time. And they're honest, they only do what's necessary, not looking to pad the bill. Good folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34diy View Post
When I shopped around for pricing on our timing belt replacement, the independent was not enough less than the dealer for me to use them. I liked paying a few more dollars to have Acura standing behind the replacement work.
If you're happy with your dealer and their prices, that's fine. Many dealers have great mechanics and some are not overly expensive. However, warranties on maintenance and repair work are provided by the individual dealer or mechanic, not by Acura, so that aspect is similar. And parts warranties are provided by Acura regardless of whether they are installed by a dealer, an independent, or yourself.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
I have most of my service done by Advanced Auto Clinic in Wilmette, right off the Edens at the Lake Avenue exit. The prices are reasonable - much less than dealers, and less than many independents. They know what they're doing, fixing things right the first time. And they're honest, they only do what's necessary, not looking to pad the bill. Good folks.

If you're happy with your dealer and their prices, that's fine. Many dealers have great mechanics and some are not overly expensive. However, warranties on maintenance and repair work are provided by the individual dealer or mechanic, not by Acura, so that aspect is similar. And parts warranties are provided by Acura regardless of whether they are installed by a dealer, an independent, or yourself.
I'll check them out, thanks! is there a specific guy that you deal with over there?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Guys, I usually ask the mechanic to save the parts that they take out. I don't have a clue myself about anything, I just say that as a defense mechanism so just incase they decide to go ahead and replace stuff that I do not need replaced.

I noticed that some mechanics aren't too happy about this. None of them has said anything to me but they look at me like are you serious? if the mechanic gets bent out of shape about that, I should not use that mechanic, correct?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll check them out, thanks! is there a specific guy that you deal with over there?
Not really. Sam is the owner and you'll usually be dealing with him. He's also very hands-on.

Quote:
Guys, I usually ask the mechanic to save the parts that they take out. I don't have a clue myself about anything, I just say that as a defense mechanism so just incase they decide to go ahead and replace stuff that I do not need replaced.

I noticed that some mechanics aren't too happy about this. None of them has said anything to me but they look at me like are you serious? if the mechanic gets bent out of shape about that, I should not use that mechanic, correct?
I don't know that I would worry too much about that. (Besides, what are you going to do with the parts? They're often messy, and the mechanics can dispose of them properly.)

What I suggest is, find a mechanic that you trust, based on his ability to fix what the problem is. The best mechanic is one that can explain to you why it was a problem (what the parts involved were doing) and what he needed to do to fix it. Those are fair questions, and they should be able to explain it in a way that even someone non-mechanical should understand.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: