Starting is going - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Starting is going

I got a new battery a year ago and I took it into the Dealer and they said the starter was slipping, but oddly enough they didn't try to sell me another one. I go the impression they prefer if it failed first, before replacing it. It seems when I start it it takes a bit longer for the starter to start the engine.

If I don't use it for more than 24 hours then it is a bit worse. It feels like the battery is going to die. Then it starts up and oddly enough the TPMS light comes on and doesn't come back on when I start my car later the same day. The TPMS never comes on any other time.

I am wondering if i should replace it or wait. Any reason why the dealer didn't sell me one. I never go for the extra "brake cleaning" when they offer it. I only go for oil, transmission fluid changes, and the other basics that are suggested by the manual.

-Hostage
Hostage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

It will prob get harder and hard to start. It would be a good iedea to change it out or try to clean the solenoid on the top of the the starter and oil it up good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage View Post
I got a new battery a year ago and I took it into the Dealer and they said the starter was slipping, but oddly enough they didn't try to sell me another one. I go the impression they prefer if it failed first, before replacing it. It seems when I start it it takes a bit longer for the starter to start the engine.

If I don't use it for more than 24 hours then it is a bit worse. It feels like the battery is going to die. Then it starts up and oddly enough the TPMS light comes on and doesn't come back on when I start my car later the same day. The TPMS never comes on any other time.

I am wondering if i should replace it or wait. Any reason why the dealer didn't sell me one. I never go for the extra "brake cleaning" when they offer it. I only go for oil, transmission fluid changes, and the other basics that are suggested by the manual.

-Hostage
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I think I am going to replace it, looking at doing it myself. One shop quoted me $330 for a refurb including labor. Waiting on another place.

I do see a new one on eBay going for ~$87 w/ free shipping on ebay: 03 06 Acura MDX 3 5L V6 Mitsubishi Starter New in Box | eBay

I feel it is a little odd to see a new one going for half as much as you can buy a refurb.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
I do see a new one on eBay going for ~$87 w/ free shipping on ebay: 03 06 Acura MDX 3 5L V6 Mitsubishi Starter New in Box | eBay

I feel it is a little odd to see a new one going for half as much as you can buy a refurb.
Just be warned that is not an OE starter. It is a replica so it may work or it may work for a very short period of time. I would stick with a refurb or go OEM. A starter is something I don't need failing on me if I can help it. Good luck!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

-Hostage
How does a starter "slip?" It may fail to engage or may not engage fully. Or with a weak battery it may turn slowly.

To me your symptoms sound like something other than the starter.

George
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

The dealership tested the battery and it is about a year old. It came back as "good".

The symptoms feel the same as a dead battery, but it is missing one BIG thing. I have full power, no dim lights. It just takes longer to start. On rare occasion when I try to turn the car on I hear more of a click and nothing else, then after repeated attempts it will finally come on. I think this has happen once or twice since I first started having problems.

Could it be the solenoid? I used a multimeter to diagnose a faulty one in my boat.

I called two different mechanics, they both were about the same price. They both quoted me for remanufactured starters and one of the shops suggested that over the new non-OEM as OEM would be very expensive. One shop quoted me $318 and the other $330.

I wouldn't mind doing it myself, though with 7* weather out side in an unheated garage I am having second thoughts. I have changed brakes, oil, and other stuff before. The shops are quoting me about $70/hour for labor and the other is for the starter. So a $250 starter and they said about 1 hour.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Okay my fiance is driving the car as we were suppose to have a bad snow storm. She said it started up weird and the green key/immobilizer light is blinking. I never seen that issue and she is driving the car. I told her not to turn it off till she gets home.

Could a starter cause false positives with the TPMS and Immobilizer? Because I we have seen the lights both come on though the TPMS light has only come on when the starter was being stubborn. We have yet to check if the "green key" will go away as I would prefer to test it when she gets home.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

02 mdx

I recently bought my 02 mdx used and my rear heaters doesn't work I guess I should have checked that first but it slipped my mind at the time I like my mdx except for that minor flaw..anyone know what the problem would be or how much it would cost to get it fixed? let me know..thanks!
daovang33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliswene View Post
What is with all of the bots lately?

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daovang33 View Post
I recently bought my 02 mdx used and my rear heaters doesn't work I guess I should have checked that first but it slipped my mind at the time I like my mdx except for that minor flaw..anyone know what the problem would be or how much it would cost to get it fixed? let me know..thanks!
Good info here:
Broken Rear AC. Grrr...

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

@daovang33 - You might get better help if you create your own post as people coming to this one is looking at starter not HVAC.

@Everyone else - I started the car this morning and TPMS light came on no "Green key".
After a quick stop (turned off the car and restarted it 5mins later) at the store on the way to work there were no warning lights on my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: