Headlights too bright, or aimed too high? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Headlights too bright, or aimed too high?

Just about every time I drive my '06 after dark, people flash their high beams at me. It's getting old. I flash mine back at them, so they realize it can be worse! Does this happen to a lot of other MDX drivers, or has a previous owner tinkered with the alignment and raised the lowbeams too high?
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lower your headlights a little.
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do not just lower them. Have a shop check for proper adjustment.

George
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have your suspension checked out also. Could be the rear is sitting too low.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

To answer your question, no, it does not happen to other MDX drivers.

You've checked all your headlights, correct? So they're both working, and they're not flashing you because one is out? And you only have your low beams on, and not your high beams?

You can get a general picture of whether your headlights are properly aimed by focusing your vision on their beam pattern at night as you drive. If traffic signs at some distance (say, a couple blocks away) are illuminated by your low beam headlights, then they're too high. The low beam headlights should only be illuminating the immediate road for about 0.1 mile in front of the car, not far away (that's what the high beams are for).

It's easy to check the vertical alignment of your headlights yourself. Here's the procedure, as described in the service manual. You'll need to do this at dusk or after dark, not in bright daylight. Find a place (like in a parking lot or parking garage) where you have at least forty feet of level ground ending in a vertical surface (like a concrete or brick wall). Bring a long tape measure with you. Do the following procedure for each side, and block off the light from the headlight on the other side while you're doing it. There's a little square molded into the clear headlight lens on your car. Measure the vertical distance of that square from the ground. Park your car so that that square is exactly 25 feet from, and facing, the vertical surface, and turn on your low-beam headlights. The horizontal line where the light from the low-beam headlight cuts off should be exactly 2.1 inches lower (less distance from the ground) than the molded square in the lens is.

You can change the adjustment using a Philips screwdriver.

Or, you can take it to a shop and let them do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Have a shop check for proper adjustment.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just looked at my Helms manual. NSXTASY is correct for the '03 model. For the '04-'06 models however, here is an "S" shaped cut-off in the light pattern. The top of the "S" is supposed to measure the same as the height of the square in the lens at the same 25' away from the vertical screen/surface.

And for what it is worth, turning the adjustment (using a screwdriver from the top) clockwise raises the beam.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigringking View Post
I just looked at my Helms manual. NSXTASY is correct for the '03 model. For the '04-'06 models however, here is an "S" shaped cut-off in the light pattern. The top of the "S" is supposed to measure the same as the height of the square in the lens at the same 25' away from the vertical screen/surface.
Not true. As shown in the Helms service manual (pages 22-144 and 22-145 in the 2003-2005 manual), the adjustment procedure for the low beam headlights is the same for the '03 model as for the '04-06 model. For all years, the horizontal portion of the beam should cut off at 2.1 inches below the height of the square on the lens at a distance of 25 feet. If you do it wrong and have it at the same height as the square, then the lights do not shine downward at the road, but instead shine straight ahead to infinity, blinding oncoming drivers. DO NOT ADJUST THEM TO BE THE SAME HEIGHT.

The only difference between the adjustment procedure for the '03 and the '04-06 is the location of the vertical adjustment knob, which is located above the headlight bulb jack in the '03, and below the headlight bulb jack in the '04-06.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Different Helms

I must have a different, maybe newer version, of the Helms manual. Mine is labled 03-06 (printed 08/2005) and shows the procedure for the 04-06 models differently.

Anyway attached are pictures of the page showing what I described and the cover of my manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Headlights too bright, or aimed too high?-pg-22-144.jpg   Headlights too bright, or aimed too high?-cover.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Weird...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: