2003 MDX speaker replacement - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

2003 MDX speaker replacement

Hello,

I have recently bought 2003 mdx. I am not sure if it has bose system or not (the cassete player says Bose). But I am not happy with the speakers. I am planing to replace front 2 and rear 2 speakers with infinity 6502ix (Reference 6502ix - Infinity). Can anyone please tell me if it's gonna fit the car? and is it gonna improve the quality of sound in the car or not?

Thanks
nafr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

They should fit (may need to use an adapter ring) and you should hear a noticeable improvement in your sound based on the older infinity models that members used about 10 years ago.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks very much for your reply. I have just bought 4 infinity reference 6502ix. I am planing to install them on rear and front doors. Can you please tell me how many more speakers are there in MDX 2003? and their sizes? so I would replace them in the future too. Is there any stand alone subwoofer in the car aswell? if yes than I am going to replace it in the future too.

I don't wanna install a new subwoofer box in the trunk, just wondering if there already is place somewhere in the car where I can replace rest of the speakers and subwoofer?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

There is a sub woofer in the rear of the car. Facing the car, it is to your right. There should be a speaker cover you can see. Replacing just the sub won't do much (may make it worse). You would need to add an amp for it to make any difference. You should also have tweeters in the front doors. Most folks just disconnected those and use the 6.5s in the doors. Good luck!

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks very much for your response. Can you please tell me size of the subwoofer that is going to fit this car? I am not looking for veryyyy expensive system but a decent subwoofer to replace the factory one that will give decent sound. I am thinking about Infinity Perfect 10.1 (Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com) are they good enough? How many subwoofers are there in the car? So I would buy that many replacement subwoofers.

I have no idea about AMP. What spec would you recommend? can you please provide me some examples?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Some good info here: Polk GNX104 10 Subwoofer Install

Search and you will find a wealth of info.

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

There should be a speaker cover you can see.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Finally got 4 speakers installed today (2 on front doors and 2 on rear doors). I can clearly feel the difference on high volume. The speaker doesn't distort on louder volume. But I can clearly feel distortion from subwoofer from the backside when I go touch it. I think my subwoofer isn't working well on high volume or maybe it's damaged. I don't wanna go thru hassle of putting boxed subwoofer on the backside because I do use the backseat(3rd row) sometimes... Is there a way to just replace the subwoofer and atleast get decent base without the distortion on high volume? Or just replacing subwoofer doesn't worth at all?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

From my experience, the sub doesn't do much on the stock amp. It is only a 35 watt amp or something back there. Check the link I posted above and see what the people who replaced it thought.

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: