Malfunction Light - VTM-4 light - HELP!! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Malfunction Light - VTM-4 light - HELP!!

Hi everyone,

I've been driving my step-mom's 02 MDX for the last two months now (because my Dad said it was in better condition than my 96 Jeep), though unlike my jeep, I haven't figured out all the car's quirks yet and can't fix it on my own, so please help if you can!

On the way home from Christmas, I stopped to get gas, and after I started again I discovered my cruise control went out. I pulled over about an hour later (left the car running), and pulled the fuse for the cruise out of the panel to see if it may have been that. It seemed okay, so I figured I'd just wait until I got home and then call my dad. Well, as soon as I got back in the car the malfunction light and the vtm-4 was on, plus the D-5 light was blinking.

I shut the car off, and turned it back on - the vtm-4 light went out, and the D-5 light wasn't blinking, but the malfunction light was still on. The engine sounded okay and my dad told me to go ahead and drive home and stop at an Auto Zone and have it checked out, since I finally did today.

Before I went to Auto Zone, however, I tried to test the problem by following the manual. The fuse I pulled for the cruise control ended up being the same fuse the ECU/PCM is run off of, apparently, so I thought maybe they just needed to be reset. I tried doing the emissions test to see if the readiness codes were the problem, like the manual suggested. I turned the key to ON and the malfunction light was still on; however it did not blink 5 times (telling me the codes aren't set), but nor did it go off (telling me the codes are fine).

I took it to Auto Zone, were the guy checked the computer and said a few different things, though I'll be honest he seemed confused so I'm not sure how helpful this will be. While we were checking the car, he said the O2 sensor came up as an error a few times, and then something about fuel maps. We went inside so he could print it off to give me a copy of, but then while he was looking at the data, he said it might also be a ECU (or a EGR, I can't remember and I left my printout at home) error.

I thought it might just be a code error since I pulled out the fuse, but I'm worried it could be something else, though it wouldn't make sense for it to be just because I was driving and all was fine, and once I pulled over it all happened. I'm supposed to be moving to TX this weekend (and pulling a trailer behind the Acura) but I'd like to make sure the car is okay to drive down there.

I found a few suggestions on this forum (like disconnecting the battery which I haven't done yet, but may try anyway), but nothing completely fits my issue. Any suggestions would be lovingly appreciated! I really didn't plan on welcoming the new year like this. Thanks so much!

Jennifer
jenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Does the car idle OK or does it run very rough?

I don't know why, but on my '01 MDX everytime an emission related problem popped up (EGR, IAC, etc..) the VTM-4 light would go on together with the "Check Engine" light.

As for the D5 light blinking, it indicates a problem with the transmission, and that's probably why the cruise control stops working.

Get the code read by Autozone and give us the codes here. It's easier for us to help you.

Good luck
NewMDXOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm new to the MDX but am fairly versed when it comes to code checking. I can tell you that disconnecting the negative battery cable will clear out codes in the computers. You will however, have to reset the clock and radio presets. I would suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable and leave it off for about one minute. Reconnect and see if the light goes out.
NYemdeex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Code P1768

The code the AutoZone guy came up with is P1768, which according to the print out he gave me is a 'pressure control solenoid valve "A" circuit fault with probable cause: 1-low transmission fluid level; 2-open or short circuit condition; 3-poor connection; 4-failed PCS solenoid A.'

However, during the checking of the codes he also mentioned something about a O2 code coming up a few times, and honestly I don't know if these are connected.

He also gave me another print out, but as I said I don't know if he knew exactly what he was looking at because that second sheet says "Chrysler" on it, and the Acura isn't a Chrysler, it's a Honda. That sheet said that the 'ECM detected MAP sensor voltage less than expected', but I don't think this is my readout, but probably someone else's.

Thanks for the help!

Jennifer
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, and the car seems to run fine. Idles okay and sounds like it normally should. After the light came on I continued my drive home (still three hours away) and it ran fine. Even got decent gas mileage (at about 20/21 - going up and down gentle hills).
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'll try that. Because I'm not sure the AutoZone guy knew what he was doing - he gave me two print offs of code readings, however one says it's for a Chrysler, which the Acrua isn't, so I'm kind of ignoring that one. (for interest, it said there was something wrong with the ECM MAP sensor?)

The one having Acura listed said that it was a P1768, which according to the print out he gave me is a 'pressure control solenoid valve "A" circuit fault with probable cause: 1-low transmission fluid level; 2-open or short circuit condition; 3-poor connection; 4-failed PCS solenoid A.'

However, during the checking of the codes he also mentioned something about a O2 code coming up a few times, and honestly I don't know if these are connected.

I'm off to get a second opinion, but will try the battery trick and see if that doesn't do it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: