Need Help! P2279 show up after 3rd and 4th gear Switches DIY - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Need Help! P2279 show up after 3rd and 4th gear Switches DIY

Hi guys!
My Dad have 05 MDX with roughly about 110k miles. His previous car was 02 Odyssey with very bad transmission. His MDX drove pretty smooth and transmission shifted decent. After reading about these cars on the forum, I decide to replace the 3rd and 4th gear Pressure switch just to make sure. I live in different state from him and wanted to get job done over the Holiday break. However, after switch was done, I've got a CEL with P2279 code(Intake air system leak). I dis-assembled the intake system again and checked for cracks or any obvious signs of leak and did not find any. After re-installing the system CEL is back on. I've red some where that I might need to do 'Idle learning procedures' Is that true?

I also noticed that the engine runs bit rough only on idle and thought it probably needs to get the valves adjusted ,but CEL was never on before doing the pressure switch.

Now i feel real bad... I wanted to help my dad out and have caused more problems than good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I also cleaned the carbon deposits on the throttle body butterfly and while doing that, I did opened and closed it...not sure if that matters.
Kickinoutyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmm. Complete the following. If it ain't broke
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Hmmm. Complete the following. If it ain't broke
Is there a link to your message? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickinoutyo View Post
Is there a link to your message? Thanks.
Really???? Come on now...

If it aint broke... DONT FIX IT.

INGunGuy
INGunGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

oh.. lol...get it now.
U guys don't understand...we had such bad experience with Odyssey transmission before, I wanted to do maintenance on time. Specially the transmission on these cars. If you wait 'till it breaks or slips, it's already done damages.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Anyone?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

So you think the problems with the 02 will appear on the 05.
You will be disappointed. The tranny are very different designs.
Best thing you can do is keep the fluid clean by changing it every 15k.
Can't help you with the problems you created.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
So you think the problems with the 02 will appear on the 05.
You will be disappointed. The tranny are very different designs.
Best thing you can do is keep the fluid clean by changing it every 15k.
Can't help you with the problems you created.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

From my research, 03-05 still have problems... I know 02 trans are different b/c we had 02 Odyssey(I did fix the transmission on that w/o any problems)
Here's the link to problems and repairs to 03 and up MDX:
'03-'06 MDX - 3rd & 4th Gear Transmission Switches / Sensors DIY - AcuraZine Community

Thanks a lot for you help comment.

BTW, for people with similar problems in the future, From my research, CEL came on b/c I rotated and clean the butterfly. I guess on Acuras, you have to do idle learn procedure.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Strange how fanboys like to kick people when they have problems with their Acura and not help. But anyway, have not had this issue myself but a brief search on Honda Acura problem code dtc p2279 found.

====================
"The ECT is the engine coolant temp sensor and will cause this code .Clearing then codes resets all sensors and drive cycles. The ECM update updates the ECM and changes the air/fuel ratio parameters which can fix this issue. Like I stated if there are no air leaks in the intake tube or pcv valve hose then updating the ECM would be next . "

================
"Sometimes cracks develop in air intake duct parts when pulling them off and reinstalling. Suggest going back over everthing you did during throttle body cleaning."

"Check PCV valve (stuck open?), PCV hose (split or hole), Purge (PCS) line, throttle body (was it removed? if yes check gasket), brake booster line, engine mount control solenoid."
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001...ode-p2279.html

=============================
This owner solved problem by adjusting valves.

I have a 2004 Acura MDX 3.5l v6 with code p2279 for air intake - JustAnswer

=======================

Auto zone repair guide says
"DTC P22791T CCM, MIL YES2003, 2004, 2005, 2006Models MDX Engines All Transmissions A/T, M/T Intake Air System Leak DTC P0443 not set, engine started and engine running, and the PCM detected a problem in the intake Air System (a vacuum leak). Possible Causes * Check for a vacuum leak at the PCV valve or vacuum hose * Check for a vacuum leak at EVAP purge valve vacuum hose * Check for a vacuum leak the throttle body assembly * Check for a vacuum leak at the brake booster hose * Check for a vacuum leak at the engine mount control solenoid vacuum hose * Check the camshaft timing to determine if it is correct"

| Repair Guides | Obd Ii Vehicle Applications | Acura | AutoZone.com

===============
"Looks like it may have been the map and or coolant temp sensor. After replacing the map it the surging reduced from 1000-1800 to 800-1100 so that helped and the coolant temp got it back to normal. I hope this helps someone. "

Surging idle after rebuild. P2279 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Hope you get the problem solved. By the way, changing ATF using only Honda brand every 10thousand miles was not enough to prevent early transmission failure on my 2002 Honda. Hope you will not get the bad outcome I did.
oilchange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilchange View Post
Strange how fanboys like to kick people when they have problems with their Acura and not help. But anyway, have not had this issue myself but a brief search on Honda Acura problem code dtc p2279 found.

====================
"The ECT is the engine coolant temp sensor and will cause this code .Clearing then codes resets all sensors and drive cycles. The ECM update updates the ECM and changes the air/fuel ratio parameters which can fix this issue. Like I stated if there are no air leaks in the intake tube or pcv valve hose then updating the ECM would be next . "

================
"Sometimes cracks develop in air intake duct parts when pulling them off and reinstalling. Suggest going back over everthing you did during throttle body cleaning."

"Check PCV valve (stuck open?), PCV hose (split or hole), Purge (PCS) line, throttle body (was it removed? if yes check gasket), brake booster line, engine mount control solenoid."
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001...ode-p2279.html

=============================
This owner solved problem by adjusting valves.

I have a 2004 Acura MDX 3.5l v6 with code p2279 for air intake - JustAnswer

=======================

Auto zone repair guide says
"DTC P22791T CCM, MIL YES2003, 2004, 2005, 2006Models MDX Engines All Transmissions A/T, M/T Intake Air System Leak DTC P0443 not set, engine started and engine running, and the PCM detected a problem in the intake Air System (a vacuum leak). Possible Causes * Check for a vacuum leak at the PCV valve or vacuum hose * Check for a vacuum leak at EVAP purge valve vacuum hose * Check for a vacuum leak the throttle body assembly * Check for a vacuum leak at the brake booster hose * Check for a vacuum leak at the engine mount control solenoid vacuum hose * Check the camshaft timing to determine if it is correct"

| Repair Guides | Obd Ii Vehicle Applications | Acura | AutoZone.com

===============
"Looks like it may have been the map and or coolant temp sensor. After replacing the map it the surging reduced from 1000-1800 to 800-1100 so that helped and the coolant temp got it back to normal. I hope this helps someone. "

Surging idle after rebuild. P2279 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Hope you get the problem solved. By the way, changing ATF using only Honda brand every 10thousand miles was not enough to prevent early transmission failure on my 2002 Honda. Hope you will not get the bad outcome I did.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! for you professional reply to the thread!

Yes, I have check the intake and airbox for any leaks or cracks ,but couldn't find any. Car did not have any CEL before doing the Transmission work.
After searching and reading for hours, I concluded that P2279 came on due to cleaning the butterfly. I have to do Idle learning procedure after cleaning the throttle body. I've done this just now, and I'll report back if it was successful.
Thanks again!

BTW, I hear you on the transmission still going bad even after more than enough fluid changes... my dad Odyssey was badly damaged also. I've heard 03 and up have some improved transmission ,but I wasn't gunna take any chances.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just an update:
I did do an Idle learning procedure yesterday and the CEL didn't come on for a half day. Before, it would come on after 10 min or so. I don't get it... maybe be procedure I've done isn't correct.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Found this brief discussion of p2279 in the 2009 Pilot service manual. See scans of page 11-396 and 11-397 below

Paraphrased below.

Record freeze data, any on board snapshot, general troubleshooting.

If DTC P0443 is stored at same time aas DTC P2279, Troubleshoot P0443 first then recheck for P2279.

1. Check for leak at
pcv valve
pcv hose
purge (PCS) line
Throttle body
Intake Manifold
Brake Booster
Brake Booster hose

Repair damaged parts

2. Start engine. Hold speed 3000 rpm wo load P or Neutral until rad fan on, then idle 1 min.

3. Monitor OBD Status for DTC P2279 with HDS.
Does screen indicate failed?

Yes check camshaft timing then step 4
No If screen indicates passed, intermittent failure, system OK now. If screen indicates Executing, keep idling unitl a result comes on. If screen indicates Out of Condition, go to step 2 and recheck.

4. reset PCM with HDS.

5. Do PCM idle learn procedure.

6. Check for pending or confirmed DTC with HDS
Is P2279 indicated.

Yes check leaks see 1.
NO go to step 7

7. Monitor OBD Status for DTC p2279 in DTC menu with HDX. Does screen indicate passed.
Yes Troubleshooting complete...
No, Failed Go to step 1. If screen indicates Executing or out of condition, keep idling until a result comes on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dtc p2279 Honda pilot 09-10b.pdf (61.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf honda pilot 2009 pcv.pdf (74.8 KB, 74 views)
oilchange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: