What to look for in used 04-06? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

What to look for in used 04-06?

We are going to be looking at several 04-06 MDX's in the 100k+ range this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. Can someone give me some pointers with problem areas? I work on cars for a living as a body tech, so will have trouble finding shoddy work in that respect, but its the mechanical stuff I'm concerned about. Thanks in advance.
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I meant to say have "no" trouble finding previous body repairs. Anyway, are these prone to having transmission troubles?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
We are going to be looking at several 04-06 MDX's in the 100k+ range this upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. Can someone give me some pointers with problem areas? I work on cars for a living as a body tech, so will have trouble finding shoddy work in that respect, but its the mechanical stuff I'm concerned about. Thanks in advance.
I bought my '04 when it had 113K miles on it two years ago, so I can help you out.

There's nothing really critical from the mechanical end. (Not like the 2001-2002, which you should avoid altogether, due to tranny problems.) One big thing is routine maintenance, which is why a lot of these cars hit the market to begin with; people see the need to spend a grand on a timing belt replacement and other 105K service, and they decide to trade it in instead. If the timing belt and other 105K service is done, you'll save that money compared with one where you'll want to buy it as soon as you get it. (If you have to do the timing belt, you'll do the water pump, and it's a good idea to replace the big cooling system hoses at the same time, even though it's not in the schedule.) Acura does not keep centralized service records, but if the car comes with a service history, or you can get one from the servicing dealer or independent, then you can use it to determine what needs doing when. Here are the recommended intervals for the most significant service items, according to the owner's manual:
  • change oil and filter - every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first
  • brake fluid - every 3 years regardless of mileage
  • transmission fluid and transfer case fluid - first time at 45K miles or 3 years; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • VTM service including differential fluid - first two times every 15K miles or 1 year; after that, every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • coolant - the recommendation is 120K miles or 10 years, whichever comes first, the first time, and after that 60K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. However this will be flushed (replaced) when they replace the water pump (see below), and that will re-set your interval for changing the coolant
  • air filter - every 30K miles regardless of time
  • cabin dust and pollen filter - every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first
  • adjust valves - every 105K miles regardless of time
  • spark plugs - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
  • timing belt (usually also includes water pump) - every 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first
Mine had some of the light bulbs out on the dash, the ones that make various buttons light at night - not a major problem, but common, and something I needed to take care of. Since then I have had to replace the shocks, ball joints, and bushings (probably common - I noticed rapid and uneven tire wear), the starter motor (also common - it was making a shrieking noise), and brake pads (no big deal).

From the body standpoint, I know you know this stuff. I had some bumper scrapes so they resprayed. There were also rust spots just above the chrome trim on the liftgate, which they said are common due to the screws which mount it rubbing; as part of the repair, they installed a thin layer of foam behind the trim to prevent it in the future.

Quote:
are these prone to having transmission troubles?
No.

One other common problem I've heard about here on mdxers is radiator failures, which aren't a big deal if caught and fixed promptly.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

nsxtasy, thank you for a VERY good reply! I nearly gave up on an MDX because of trans issues, but I think you sold me. I want to get one of these for my wife, because she currently has an 03 Accord EX V6 we bought new, but would like something a bit larger and AWD and do it without car payments. I thought about the MDX because the dash and interior is a near clone to her Accord, so she would feel right at home in one. She doesn't do well with cars shes not familiar with.
I am not too concerned about 100-130k miles one one because, she has only put 11k miles on her car in the last 5 years. 04 to 06 MDXs will fit in our budget. I'm not too concerned with rust, because I will most likely make the drive 3 hours to Sacramento California to purchase one. No rust there to worry about. Thanks again for an informative reply.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just to add a few notes based on your follow-up post...

We were daily driving Acura Integras for many years, and we were indeed right at home in the MDX, right from the start.

Rust is much, much better in our 2004 MDX than it was in our '94 Integra and in our older Civics from the 1980's; in fact, the spot above the trim on the liftgate was the only place on our MDX with any visible rust, even though it spent its first 113K miles and 7 years in Grand Rapids, and now almost two years in Chicago.

I think the MDX is a screaming bargain for the $12-15K you'll pay for an '04-06 with 100K+ miles. And reliable! Most of what we've had to do, we took care of right after we bought it. We did the 30K scheduled maintenance a year ago, and since then, virtually nothing other than an oil change.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Actually I already have one in mind and will be driving down and checking it out Wednesday. It is a white/tan (just like the wifes Accord) '05 touring w/Navigation and 129k on the odometer. The Carfax shows one owner with no issues and bought new in Southern California. The dealer has a bunch of good clear pics and the only thing that jumps out at me is a mismatched color on the front bumper.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

I nearly gave up on an MDX because of trans issues, but I think you sold me.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually I already have one in mind and will be driving down and checking it out Wednesday. It is a white/tan (just like the wifes Accord) '05 touring w/Navigation and 129k on the odometer. The Carfax shows one owner with no issues and bought new in Southern California. The dealer has a bunch of good clear pics and the only thing that jumps out at me is a mismatched color on the front bumper.

Yes, '05 and '06 is good.

Avoid '04 only because bluetooth hands free wasn't available prebuilt into the steering controls.

If you can visibly tell the engine mounts on either side of the engine/trans have deteriorated, they'll need to be replaced and becomes a legit negotiation discount. The easiest way for me to tell is when I go off-roading, I hear metal on metal contact. Happened on my '01, sis-in laws '04, and just starting on my '05 last week at Anza Borrego. If you can find any parking lot speed bumps nearby, that will work too, if you go 5-7 mph faster than you're supposed to.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

I forget the exact details now, but my 2005 was better than the 2004 in areas such as the XM radio, the Bluetooth cellphone system, and the navigation system, so I'd suggest skipping the 2004 if that's important to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transmission. These years are much better than the older years (although perhaps there are still a few more failures than there should be). There have been some transmission-related recalls for some or all of these years, so you might need to get those done if they weren't already handled. A service history showing that the transmission has been serviced properly all along would be a plus here.

As for weak spots, check to make sure all of the doors lock and unlock correctly, as the actuators have broken for a lot of people. Check the motor mounts if you can. The starter screech mentioned above usually starts happening in colder weather, so try the car early in the morning if you can.

As already noted, you'll need to see if the timing belt is due or not and figure that into your offer price.

Overall, an MDX at the right price should be a good purchase. I still enjoy driving mine (even when I could take my wife's newer BMW X5 instead).
lion9mdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

The transmission was redesigned in 2003 and the serious problems that plagued the 2001-2002 were fixed in the redesign.

Of course, there are small upgrades every year, so you can decide for yourself whether they are things you care about. If you don't care about the way the Bluetooth works (I don't) and you wouldn't get a subscription to satellite radio (I wouldn't), the 2004 would work for you just fine. I have a 2004 and everything I need is there. The nav system is excellent, easy to use, no problems.

Here are the upgrades made those three years, per Edmunds:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
What's New for 2004

A number of interior, exterior and mechanical updates were made for 2004. The V6 engine added slightly more power and is now rated at 265 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque. Outside, you'll find a restyled front fascia, new chrome trim, dual exhaust tips, a new wheel design for Touring models, updated headlights and taillights and a rear wing spoiler. The interior now features trendy brushed metal-look trim for the center stack, leather armrests, auto-on/off headlights, new ambient foot lighting and enhanced functionality of the second-row seat for third-row access. Touring models get a new version of the Bose premium audio system and power lumbar support for the driver seat. Finally, safety has been improved on all MDXs with the addition of side curtain airbags and a tire-pressure monitoring system.
Quote:
What's New for 2005

This year the MDX receives standard XM Satellite Radio, a Bluetooth hands-free cell phone interface on Touring models, a larger fuel tank and an enhanced stability control system. The optional rear entertainment system now includes an in-dash six-disc CD changer, and the navigation system has an enhanced database. MDXs with navigation also include the OnStar communications system.
Quote:
What's New for 2006

Other than some minor interior trim changes for the Touring package -- ebony-colored Zebra wood-patterned trim replaces last year's Burl wood, and satin chrome interior accents instead of bright chrome -- the Acura MDX is unchanged for 2006. New SAE testing procedures drop the MDX's horsepower rating from 265 to 253.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: