HELP - What's wrong with my 2001 MDX? Strange battery issue... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

HELP - What's wrong with my 2001 MDX? Strange battery issue...

Ok, I need some help troubleshooting this one. About a month ago a purchased a well cared for MDX with 244K.... I know that may be the first issue, but it appeared to be very well cared for with service records and all. Anyway, I've already fixed several issues thanks to this forum (air mix motor, center console lights, rear wiper blade), but I have two issues I haven't been able to resolve.

Issue one is the "neutralizing" problem. I've flushed the transmission fluid several times with Honda/Acura fluid, but the problem still persists. I may just be looking a new transmission to solve this one.

Second issue started two days ago. I was sitting at a stoplight on my home and the RPM gauge all of sudden dropped from 1K down to 0, then back up to 1K, then to 0, etc. etc. I sat there and watch it and all of a sudden most, if not all, of the lights lit up on the dash - maintenance light, engine trouble, ABS, etc. Shortly after that, all the lights on the dash went out. Radio wouldn't work either. So I drove it home and it sat until the next day.

The following day I went out to the car and was going to put my OBDII on it, but it wouldn't start. Check the battery voltage and got a big ZERO... no voltage at all.

Next I tried to replace the battery with a new Interstate MT-24F. Connect the position, then the negative - sparks and smoke went flying. This can't be good! I'm beginning to this this X is possessed. I immediately removed the negative terminal on the battery and started reading this forum.

Not sure what to try next. I connected a voltmeter between the negative battery cable and the negative terminal and got 12.68 volts. Would this be normal, or does this indicate a short?

Any ideas what I should try next?

TIA
n517rv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

If what you say is true about the negative terminal, the polarity has been reversed on the car.
poolpartysrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Willing to bet its not a polarity issue but an alternator issue. Bet alternator is fried.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

was the vehicle on when you tested the voltage?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, the vehicle was not on when I tested the voltage.

So if it's the alternator I should be able to disconnect the alternator and then connect the battery. If it's a problem with the alternator I shouldn't see sparks and smoke after disconnecting, correct?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

you would also have to recharge the battery on another car
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
Willing to bet its not a polarity issue but an alternator issue. Bet alternator is fried.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Boston, I think you nailed it. I removed the Alternator connector going into the main fuse panel, hooked up the negative terminal on the battery without any sparks or smoke. Making progress... now what? I'm going to search on alternator issues and see what I come up with.

Worse case is I drive it to the shop without the alternator connected. Assuming the tranny will take me there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: