I want to buy a MDX and I have some questions!! - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question I want to buy a MDX and I have some questions!!

I am considering buying a 2006 ACURA MDX. I wonder about possible manufacturing defects and some maintenance after purchase. Researching on the subject in this forum I found someone who said it was necessary to change the timing belt at 7 years or 105k miles. Is there anything else I should know? Brand oil for example?

Also I have doubts about this steering wheel of two different colors, this is a OEM steering wheel?

This is the ACURA MDX 2006 I am considering.

SacredPRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

That is the wood steering wheel. OEM! Good luck with your search!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
That is the wood steering wheel. OEM! Good luck with your search!
I think the question was how the center is black while the rest is tan.

Now I don't know anything about 1st gen MDX's, but that doesn't really look like it belongs.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetrical View Post
I think the question was how the center is black while the rest is tan.

Now I don't know anything about 1st gen MDX's, but that doesn't really look like it belongs.
Yeah, looks like airbag was probably replaced....which might be a bad sign!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vybzkartel View Post
Yeah, looks like airbag was probably replaced....which might be a bad sign!
If that was afraid, is the only one and seen the steering wheel tan color and airbag black ......
Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

The above posts are correct.

The steering wheel (the outside round portion) is an OEM Honda accessory that you can buy at the dealer. The stock steering wheel is all leather; the one with the wood trim, as pictured, must have been purchased somewhere along the way. I see in the photo that it has the matching wood shift knob, which is also an OEM Honda accessory that was purchased and installed.

The center portion is indeed the airbag assembly. On a car with the tan interior (like that one and mine), the cover of the airbag assembly should be tan, not black. So somewhere along the way, someone replaced it with one that's black, that must have come from a car with a black interior.

Your options are (a) don't buy the car, (b) buy the car and live with the mismatched airbag assembly, or (c) buy the car and replace the airbag assembly with a tan one. New, the airbag assembly lists for $786 so you can find it discounted to $600 from places like the guy pictured below. You can also buy one used, either on eBay or at car-parts.com However, I would caution you that an airbag assembly may be something you might want to think twice about before buying a used one, since it's a critical safety system and you wouldn't want to worry about someone having messed with it. Also, I looked on car-parts.com and used airbag assemblies start in the $400's so you're not going to save all that much money compared with buying a new one.

As for oil changes, you can use any brand of oil. 5W20 viscosity is recommended by Honda. You can use conventional oil or synthetic oil; synthetic oil is more expensive but is more resistant to breakdown when hot and has better flow characteristics when cold. I use synthetic oil in all my cars, as "cheap insurance" (you can get 5-quart jugs of major-brand full synthetic oil at Walmart for $20-25, which isn't a whole lot of money).

Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
The center portion is indeed the airbag assembly. On a car with the tan interior (like that one and mine), the cover of the airbag assembly should be tan, not black. So somewhere along the way, someone replaced it with one that's black, that must have come from a car with a black interior.

Your options are (a) don't buy the car, (b) buy the car and live with the mismatched airbag assembly, or (c) buy the car and replace the airbag assembly with a tan one. New, the airbag assembly lists for $786 so you can find it discounted to $600 from places like the guy pictured below. You can also buy one used, either on eBay or at car-parts.com However, I would caution you that an airbag assembly may be something you might want to think twice about before buying a used one, since it's a critical safety system and you wouldn't want to worry about someone having messed with it. Also, I looked on car-parts.com and used airbag assemblies start in the $400's so you're not going to save all that much money compared with buying a new one.
This gets weirder.

I looked up the parts diagram for the airbag for the 2004 MDX (like mine) and the 2006 MDX (like the one pictured). For the 2004 MDX, you can get the airbag assembly with either the black cover or the tan cover; there are two different part numbers. For the 2006 MDX, the diagram ONLY lists the airbag assembly with the black cover, not with the tan cover, and the part number for the black cover is different from the one for the 2004. My guess is that (a) there is some specific difference between the 2004 airbag and the 2006 airbag, so you probably shouldn't use a 2004 tan airbag in a 2006; (b) the 2006 airbag in tan has been discontinued; and (c) the owner of the car pictured needed to replace it (perhaps it was activated in a crash - and yes, this would be a MAJOR cause for concern) and was only able to buy a black one to install. Someone in an Acura dealer's parts department could verify all of this for you.

Bottom line? I would be really reluctant to buy a car on which the airbag has been replaced - not just because of the aesthetics of the non-matching color (which you could paint), but also because the car may have been in a serious accident. I would not buy that car unless it's selling for many thousands of dollars less than similar ones, and even in that case, I would insist on having the car pass an inspection by a really good body shop as a condition of the purchase. The easier thing to do, of course, is to walk away, and keep looking.

HTH
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

That interior is two-toned....tan and black. My 06 is all black, so I can't compare. But that steering wheel does not look like something that would leave the factory. But I see a lot of other black parts in that interior.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

i Think I'm disappointed of this MDX. It could be like saying "TheBigKahuna" The car also has many black parts, I thought that maybe the steering wheel came completely black. It could be replaced by one edge tan.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you buy the car, which I do not recommend, you can get that air bag cover painted to match. Don't do it yourself, but a good shop should be used to painting plastic. If done right, it will last for the life of the car.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
If you buy the car, which I do not recommend
It's not like that car is unique. Right now there are 438 different listings for a 2006 MDX for sale on autotrader.com

And I bet almost all of them have interiors whose parts match and weren't cobbled together from multiple sources, possibly after a major accident.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm not sure why you all automatically jump to the conclusion that the airbag cover has been replaced. The car came with a black steering wheel and black airbag cover. I think it's far more likely a previous owner purchased the wood steering wheel and shift knob as aftermarket accessories and for some reason chose not to get the black trimmed steering wheel (not the choice I would have made but who knows why people do what they do to their cars).

If the OP doesn't like the look a brand new black steering wheel can be had for about $170 from Tim: WHEEL, STEERING *NH167L* (DIMPLE/LEATHER) (GRAPHITE BLACK): Discount Honda and Acura parts and accessories - OEM Acura Parts

Or, I'm sure a used one could be found at a junkyard or eBay for less.

OP, do the due diligence on the car. If the carfax is clean it is unlikely it was in an accident where the airbag deployed. Have a mechanic you trust check it out. If it seems in good shape and you can get a good deal on it don't be afraid to buy it.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Carfax please...
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons04mdx View Post
I'm not sure why you all automatically jump to the conclusion that the airbag cover has been replaced.
I think Tim said;

"The center portion is indeed the airbag assembly. On a car with the tan interior (like that one and mine), the cover of the airbag assembly should be tan, not black."

At least the post has his picture at the bottom.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I think Tim said;

"The center portion is indeed the airbag assembly. On a car with the tan interior (like that one and mine), the cover of the airbag assembly should be tan, not black."

At least the post has his picture at the bottom.
It was nsxtasy that said it, he just posted Tim's link as a courtesy.

Basically, nsxtasy is wrong. If you look at any of those 2006 MDXes that he linked to in Autotrader you will see that if they came with a tan interior then they have a black steering wheel (it's because of the two-tone dash which I believe is only in 05-06). The black airbag assembly is likely original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: