I want to buy a MDX and I have some questions!! - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

So is the two-toned interior an OEM thing? I've never seen one like those on the pictures above. I have to admit, it looks odd, and like a salvage job. I looked at several MDXs before I bought mine, and never saw one with a two toned interior.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
I think Tim said;

"The center portion is indeed the airbag assembly. On a car with the tan interior (like that one and mine), the cover of the airbag assembly should be tan, not black."

At least the post has his picture at the bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
So is the two-toned interior an OEM thing? I've never seen one like those on the pictures above. I have to admit, it looks odd, and like a salvage job. I looked at several MDXs before I bought mine, and never saw one with a two toned interior.
I think there is no MDX 2006 with the airbag tan. Only the 2006 All MDX comes with black color airbag. Look on sites like ebay and cars.com specifically the 2006 model. None comes with airbag tan so I conclude that only the steering wheel rim could be replaced

Last edited by SacredPRO; 11-09-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Errors...
SacredPRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

After doing a little more clicking through the photos of 2006 white and gold MDXes on Autotrader it seems that the black/tan dash is on the Touring models while the Base models have more of a dark tan/light tan look to them (more monotone).

If the car in question is a Touring model then it is likely the original dash and airbag assembly.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons04mdx View Post
It was nsxtasy that said it, he just posted Tim's link as a courtesy.

Basically, nsxtasy is wrong. If you look at any of those 2006 MDXes that he linked to in Autotrader you will see that if they came with a tan interior then they have a black steering wheel (it's because of the two-tone dash which I believe is only in 05-06). The black airbag assembly is likely original.
That's quite possible. I'm not familiar with a two-tone interior, black on top and tan elsewhere, like the one pictured by SacredPRO above. It's possible that MDX's came from the factory that way and I just haven't seen any. In which case yes, I was wrong in assuming the 2006 was like my 2004.

In that case, it's likely that what was replaced was the steering wheel, not the airbag. The stock steering wheel is all leather; the one with wood is an OEM Honda accessory, available in a choice of mahogany or burlwood. Now I'm guessing that what the owner did was, he bought the accessory wood steering wheel for a 2004 MDX with tan interior, rather than one with the leather parts in black.

Given this, it's quite possible that this car was NOT in an accident, that the current (or previous) owner simply wanted a mahogany or burlwood steering wheel. So I wouldn't necessarily shy away from it. As noted above, if you wanted the steering wheel to look like it matches, you could replace it with a new or used one (without the wood) for not a lot of money.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons04mdx View Post
It was nsxtasy that said it, he just posted Tim's link as a courtesy.

Thanks for the correction. I thought the name was screwed up.

Pictures speak louder than words.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thank you everybody! Anyway I will use the carfax to be more sure about everything.
SacredPRO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Or save the headache and scout for a good 2007!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: