04-06 Exhaust Mod (hypothetically)... - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

04-06 Exhaust Mod (hypothetically)...

Here's some hypothetical exhaust mod plans...

(Disclaimer: These hypothetical modifications are for hypothetical OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Federal Regulations prohibit actually disabling emmissions control equipent of street-driven vehicles. Cheers!)

I've edited the pic posted by AutisMDXTypeS to show my hypothetical modification plans. I'll hypothetically monitor mpg's between stages.

Stage 1: Hypothetically gut the 3rd cat. I think it's only there to get the "Ultra" part of ULEV. Without it, it hypothetically meets the regular emmissions requirement. It then oughtta flow a little better, hypothetically. MPG test hypothetically in progress.

Stage 2: Hypothetically remove the factory 3rd cat and feed a replacement splitting-muffler directly, Magnaflow 1in-2out (3"in-2.5"out). This will give better flow compared to the kludge of a splitter after the factory muffler. The splitting muffler's outs will transition to 2" flexible
stainless tubing and stepped down to the 1-5/8"OD pipes leading to the factory mufflers.

Stage 3: Replace rear mufflers with magnaflow 2" units. More flow, more noise, might be too loud for the wife? (I know my f350 with just those two mufflers is good-n-loud in WOT).

Stage 4: Install 3" magnaflow cat at location of factory 3rd cat, install two O2 sensor fittings after it and move the two after-manifold-cat sensors to that location. Then hypothetically gut the manifold-cats. Emmissions are hypothetically fine as long as there's an adequate cat in the 3rd location. A correctly-selected magnaflow cat would do the job.

Or, skip 3 and just hypothetically do 4, get a quieter ride and maximum power/efficiency for that quiet-tude.

Here's the original pic...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Too many hypotheticals in this...

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

My suggestion, just replace the 3rd cat with a straight piece of pipe. In case you dont like the sound, you can always have the shop reinstall the cat. Go from there. It will still pass emissions since it is not monitored.

Personally i wouldn't mess with the primary cats and their sensors.

Seriously, we know these wont be for off road use only.
Nobody is here to judge or go after you.

Post clips of the sound if you make any changes.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

you can always have the shop reinstall the cat.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

If I want the 3rd cat there, I'd use a 3" magnaflow because the factory cat housing has an output hole that's actually narrower than the input. While I'm sure the Honda engineers knew what they were doing when they chose such a narrow size tubing between the J-pipe and the mufflers, I think their goal was different than mine... they designed for minimal noise and emissions (ie ULEV) while trying not to sacrifice much power (but there's some power choke as a result, I think), but my goal is to accept a little more noise and emissions (yet still meet the basic emissions requirement) and free up some of those horses.

Here's a nifty chart of exhaust tubing and power capabilities... The cat narrows down to 2-1/4" and the pipe between it and the first muffler is narrower. That piping is rated to handle about 150HP. The MDX is supposed to put out 265HP.

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos
Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went with a 2.5 inch straight pipe. I like the sound of it lol. Thought about getting some better mufflers later down the road and upgrading the piping from those to the tips.
djsplitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm using 3" pipe just because the muffler I've got is 3"in/2x2.5"out. This is a Magnaflow copy from Speedmotoring on ebay, half the price of Magnaflow but just as good. Speedmotoring's 1in2out only comes in this size. I used a couple of their 2.5" mufflers on my truck and they are nice build and sound.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, with Stage 1 done (gut the 3rd cat), I got no obvious benefit to mpg's. It looks like the greater constriction to exhaust flow is the pipe, 1-7/8" OD, between that cat and the mid muffler.
I just completed Stage 2 (replace cat, mid pipe and mid-muffler). It sounds much better. Before, I could start the motor, and if I didn't look at the tach, I might think it didn't start and I'd crank it again, grinding the starter. Now, it's got a nice mild rumble at idle, and overall is just barely louder than stock. I'm in the process of checking mpg impact.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would leave it at that. Once you take out the mufflers in the back, you will get a good amount of noise. Much more incremental than stock to mid-muffler/cat delete. Plus, there may be drone, as well.

If you want more noise, you can look into deleting the resonator that's part of your intake.
tempo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

MPG update: Stage 2 has netted ~2mpg improvement. My baseline is the family trip to the inlaws, about 240 miles round trip. First trip mpg net was ~20. This past Thanksgiving visit I got 22.
My next modification will be converting to true dual setup, retaining factory mufflers and primary cats. I'll hack up the J-pipe and run a pair of 2" pipes all the way back to the mufflers, with a crossover pipe just before the rear differential. I think this will get a good improvement in cruising torque (and hence mpg) due to the scavenging boost. I decided this because I noticed that the aftermarket performance J-pipes available have longer paths before merging to the collector and I figure fully dual pipes might be even better.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting work! Will you please post some pics or videos of your setup and new setup? Maybe it will be less confusing than reading all the specs for each section of the exhaust! Thanks!!! Good luck with your project!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/395049...ort-utility-4d
MDX Touring 2001 75W Hid Kit 6000K
15W Reverse Hid Kit 6000K
Full Interior LED's
TavuL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

anyone else do this? I would like to hear a before and after sound difference of the "Stage 2". If I cut out the cat and mid muffler and put in a straight 2.5" pipe. I wonder the difference? I dont want anything excessively loud..
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

anyone?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Do not do it ! leave mdx exhaust system stock ! Trust me you will regret it when driving down the road hearing drone noise...Unless you a ghetto person and like those kind of noise !
HTL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTL Motorsports View Post
Do not do it ! leave mdx exhaust system stock ! Trust me you will regret it when driving down the road hearing drone noise...Unless you a ghetto person and like those kind of noise !
do have any video to prove this?

OneTonSoup suggested otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: