2004 Acura MDX D5 Blinking Light - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

2004 Acura MDX D5 Blinking Light

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and have a 2004 Acura MDX with 169k miles. Drives great but now the d5 light started blinking. The car never has any problems and runs amazing like new. But this light started blinking and i am scared about it and hopefully my transmission is not on the way out. After yesterday drove it about 15 miles and no light. Today my mom said that it was blinking again. I am not mechanically inclined and it seems like the weather has been raining alot today and 100 degrees yesterday. But what should I do?
SG4MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4MDX View Post
what should I do?
First, look in the owner's manual. When you do, you'll find that on page 172, it says, "The ‘‘D5’’ indicator comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition switch to ON (II). If it flashes while driving (in any shift position), it indicates a possible problem in the transmission."

Make sure that it's not just blinking when you turn the car on, which is normal. (Maybe your mom was noticing it when she was just starting the car?) If you're sure it's blinking while the car is driving, then take it in for service, either to the dealer or to a good independent mechanic, and let them figure it out.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just had the very same thing happen to me. Apparently this is not uncommon. I do not have a copy of the work order, but a part was replaced that had to do with the different gears and now it no longer flashes. I suspected loose wire or such as my Torque Converter had just been replaced prior to this. Sorry I cannot be more specific. I need to call on Monday and have them send me a copy of my work order.

Kristin
kmscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4MDX View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and have a 2004 Acura MDX with 169k miles. Drives great but now the d5 light started blinking. The car never has any problems and runs amazing like new. But this light started blinking and i am scared about it and hopefully my transmission is not on the way out. After yesterday drove it about 15 miles and no light. Today my mom said that it was blinking again. I am not mechanically inclined and it seems like the weather has been raining alot today and 100 degrees yesterday. But what should I do?
First, make sure the fluid is not low.

Could be as simple as a pressure switch, especially if it still drives fine. Take it to the dealer to determine the trouble code/s that triggered the blinking D5.

This thread shows how to read the code yourself for a 2003 Pilot. Not sure it is exactly the same for a 2004 MDX. The transmissions are different in a 2004 MDX/2003 Pilot: Link[
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check coolant level and color.
boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

My D5 Flashing ended up being that both the 3rd & 4th pressure switches failed. The dealership replaced the 3rd & 4th pressure switches. No more D5 flashing.

Kristin
kmscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Boston! You were right!

hey Boston was right! My coolant was empty guys. Should it stop blinking? Might have saved myself some money! thanks all.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmscrap View Post
My D5 Flashing ended up being that both the 3rd & 4th pressure switches failed. The dealership replaced the 3rd & 4th pressure switches. No more D5 flashing.

Kristin
This.
xilync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

I suspected loose wire or such as my Torque Converter had just been replaced prior to this.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Acura MDX

hey guys light hasnt come up after the fill of coolant. Do you guys think thats why my mdx was lighting up? Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

The blinking D5 can be the beginning of bad things related to the tranny. Take it somewhere and pull codes. Autozone does it free. Acura will likely charge $ for this or you can find a small shop that specializes in Honda as well. Hopefully it's something minor like the 3rd and/or 4th gear pressure switches. This just happened with my TL (yes, I know this is an MDX thread) and it was a failing tranny. Best of luck.
argiclan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

My D5 light was flashing recently after a large down pore of rain. Being an Auto Electrician I suspected water in the trans electrical plugs ( water shorts out signals from Range sensor and tells ECU conflicting info thus D5 light comes on) . I removed the Range sensor plug and blew it out dry then packed it with grease to water proof it and re installed. Looks like it's the same issue as his one as he said it had rained recently when he had the problem. It's been a year now and I have had no issues again. Cheers
pingopongo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Greetings,
I have a 2001 mdx with 145880miles on it, I drove about 150miles yesterday & the x did well without issues but after washing it this morning including the engine, I noticed the D5 blinking as I revved the engine & about the same time, I heard a small noise under the steering.
I quickly turned off the ignition, checked the fuse & found fuse no. 6 (pcm ecu) blown.
I also scanned the car & codes p1298 & p1768 were thrown.
I started d car, engaged d reverse & it was jumpy(quick to enter) so I left it till now, I also haven't changed the blown fuse.
Any ideas will be appreciated as much as I appreciate this forum.
Many thanks.
Kc
klecci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klecci View Post
I have a 2001 mdx with 145880miles on it, I drove about 150miles yesterday & the x did well without issues but after washing it this morning including the engine, I noticed the D5 blinking as I revved the engine & about the same time, I heard a small noise under the steering.
I quickly turned off the ignition, checked the fuse & found fuse no. 6 (pcm ecu) blown.
My understanding is that washing an engine isn't a good idea unless you know what parts to cover to keep from getting wet (which I don't). My guess is that you got something wet that isn't designed to be wet. If you can let it dry out for a few days, maybe the problem will clear up.
lion9mdx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for the response.
If you don't mind, could it be the reason the pcm fuse blew? If yes, should I go ahead & replace the 15amp fuse?
klecci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: