gas mileage IMPROVEMENTS - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

gas mileage IMPROVEMENTS

I am pursuing fuel economy IMPROVEMENTS beyond scheduled maintenance. I have yet to see any changes from a custom intake on the MDX in the fuel economy. Has only used or modified one of those RV6 J pipes? Has anyone had changes made to the engine management to decrease the air to fuel ratio? Is that something the dealership could modify?
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

The custom air intake will likely reduce your gas mileage sucking in hot air (if it is the typical ricer mod) depends on what you installed.

That exhaust mod would have very little benefit at the lower RPMs of daily driving, especially if you are driving with a light foot.

Running lean is generally not a good thing. I don't know of an easy way to do it and a dealer would never have a way to change it.

Not many options other than keeping your foot out of it. I seem to get a lot better mileage when I drive slower (maybe 60 or so) on the highway. But it's hard for me to go that slow for long.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually a short ram/warm-air intake will theoretically increase mileage. Warmer air is less dense which will cause a wider-open throttle plate and less resistance to the intake air. Now before the flaming starts, this is just my two cents. In the "real world" I doubt there is any mpg difference between a stock intake and an aftermarket CAI or WAI. A WAI will reduce your max power, especially on hot days....again, the lower air density due to sucking hotter engine compartment air.

The only suggestion I have for better MPG is using the recommended 5W20 oil, and increasing the tire pressure. Make sure you do not exceed the max pressure listed on the sidewall. A trade-off of higher tire pressure, however, will be feeling every bump in the road.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
The only suggestion I have for better MPG is using the recommended 5W20 oil, and increasing the tire pressure. Make sure you do not exceed the max pressure listed on the sidewall. A trade-off of higher tire pressure, however, will be feeling every bump in the road.
I am not sure that increasing the tire pressure over about 35psi cold will make any difference.

I recently found that SAMS club had aired all four of my new tires to between 42 and 43 psi. I normally carry 35pso, Actually I am most shocked that I did not notice a ride difference. I had run these tires for 5 or 6 months before checking the pressure. I have not noticed any MPG changes either before or after I corrected.

George
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. COLTON View Post
I am not sure that increasing the tire pressure over about 35psi cold will make any difference.

I recently found that SAMS club had aired all four of my new tires to between 42 and 43 psi. I normally carry 35pso, Actually I am most shocked that I did not notice a ride difference. I had run these tires for 5 or 6 months before checking the pressure. I have not noticed any MPG changes either before or after I corrected.

George
I own a 2011 MDX, and found that quick starts around town and driving over 70 mph on highway really hurt the mileage. Easing into starts, maintaining smooth driving, and keeping highway speeds down have increased mileage 2-3 mpg. Note I drive 75% highway and using www.fuelly.com, have documented an average of 20 mpg for the first 5,000 miles of driving. Good luck!
dropmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

shed weight.
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your mileage is already about what it should be. At least for city driving.
Any efforts will yield negligible results.

My suggestion, dont bother.
mowashear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

The autoslushbox programming in these Acuras is horrible! I think that this leads to actually worse mileage when you have to punch the gas to get any movement. I'm lucky to get 13 MPG around the Philly suburbs...and yes...I'm not a 75 year old granny...I need to get my a s s to work and get stuff done. I don't have time to baby this thing. This is prolly the worst aspect of this car...a $500+ a month lease...premium gas and 13 MPG fighting a slothlike slushbox!
CarlosT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

has anyone actually hooked up a wideband to these vehicles... i wonder how rich they are running and i wonder what the timing is... could pulling a degree of timing help?

I have done all the maintenance up to 100k and there is no difference... timing belt, valve adjustment, spark plugs, tire pressure checks, air filter, cleaned intake manifold and throttle body iat sensor.... nothing...

there has to be something for these vehicles that can be done to help the fuel economy beyond the scheduled maintenance... its just no one has figured it out yet...

does anyone know the standard operating temperature... what is the temperature for are thermostat to open... if we had a low temperature thermostat would make the engine run colder help???
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think they do that bad for the weight of the SUV and the horse power it has. My Trailblazer only got 16mpgs on the hwy and 12 driving around town and it only had 240 horse power. For an V6 SUV it gets the best mpgs for the weight.
Castman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Posted some time ago: MPG Tracy to Roseville via Sacto. which supports the above notions that driving style will overwhelmingly affect MPG over that of any tweak or modification. Using a light foot also costs nothing and puts it way ahead of other mods etc. in terms of return on investment.

If the objective is to reduce fuel costs, driving habits will do that nicely. If the objective is to tinker, that’s O.K. too but not the same.

Like tire performance, most objectives come with a price: sacrifice this for that.

My Accord gets great mileage but pick up the keys to the MDX when it matters. I use it for shopping errands, road trips, and weekends in the mountains – It’s a trade off.
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Life is too short to drive like a granny.

- Carbon Man
CarlosT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Any real mpg gains from chipping?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ari

Chipping is a waste on the MDX and will not lead to increased mileage.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castman View Post
I don't think they do that bad for the weight of the SUV and the horse power it has. My Trailblazer only got 16mpgs on the hwy and 12 driving around town and it only had 240 horse power. For an V6 SUV it gets the best mpgs for the weight.
I have driven a Tahoe that will tie or beat my MDX. That was on a 1,000 mile trip to Agusta to the 2010 Masters. The new Enclaves, Acadias and Traverses will all beat it.

My wife's Northstar V-8 in her big Cadillac beats it by 6 or 7 mpg.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: