gas mileage IMPROVEMENTS - Page 4 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #46 (permalink)

Plugs and an ERG Valve brought a 02 from 20ish to 24/25mpgs. REALLY!
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #47 (permalink)

Just raised my Michelin tire pressure from 32 to 39 cold psi in my 2011 MDX tech. Handles WAY better and gas mileage is up 2 mpg to 24 on flat highway at 70mph, 25 at 60. Why in the world would the owners manual say keep the tires at 35 psi when the tires themselves are rated at 44 psi cold?
jianco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #48 (permalink)

procrastinating/debating on cutting off the section from the 3rd cat to the mid muffler and replacing it with a straight 2.5 pipe. MDX would then still have 2 cats and 2 mufflers. I wonder what kind of MPG change I would see. I have not been able to find a clear before and after from anyone. This is on a 06 MDX.

I did do the Monroe Rear Shocks with the coilover springs and replaced the front control arms, and front shocks just recently. I rides greats.

MPG is reading around 17.5MPG overall. (My wife drives it)
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianco View Post
Just raised my Michelin tire pressure from 32 to 39 cold psi in my 2011 MDX tech. Handles WAY better and gas mileage is up 2 mpg to 24 on flat highway at 70mph, 25 at 60. Why in the world would the owners manual say keep the tires at 35 psi when the tires themselves are rated at 44 psi cold?

The middle part of the thread will wear out faster, giving you less life on the tires and negating any mpg improvements.

Ask me how i know
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #50 (permalink)

I run my RL and my X both at 40 psi, trying to squeak out any and all mpg's. I am not worried about running the centers out of my tires, however, but that is a true side effect.

Jianco, The pressure on the side of the tire is MAX pressure to run that tire at, not a recommended tire pressure. The door placard is where you get the recommended tire pressure. Only if you are gonna fully load the X, and I mean all the way to max GVWR should you max out your tire pressure.

My .02

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #51 (permalink)

My wife has an 04 MDX and she gets 12.5 MPG 50/50... She has a heavy foot on every start which really kills the milage.... I did all maintenance i can do to improve this bad boy but its still at 12.5 i'll remove the mid muffler this week since she asked for a little exhaust note...
Infamous Link is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #52 (permalink)

Replace Front Oxygen sensor... Reset ecu....Raise Tire psi to 40psi.. Disconnect Rear Driveshaft ! looking 2-3 gain mpg right there..
HTL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #53 (permalink)

ever remove that mid muffler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Link View Post
My wife has an 04 MDX and she gets 12.5 MPG 50/50... She has a heavy foot on every start which really kills the milage.... I did all maintenance i can do to improve this bad boy but its still at 12.5 i'll remove the mid muffler this week since she asked for a little exhaust note...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #54 (permalink)

anyone remove mid muffler or 3rd cat with mpg results and no significant exhaust note increase?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #55 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dingaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
anyone remove mid muffler or 3rd cat with mpg results and no significant exhaust note increase?
the exhaust will not sound different with the 3rd cat delete. Mid muffler however might change the note a lil more than the cat would.
dingaling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #56 (permalink)

I have a 2006 RL and 2006 MDX.

I have the JPipe mod on my Acura RL with the 3rd cat delete and the car sounds great. (still very quiet)

I wish there was a JPipe for the MDX. Not really interested in test fitting the one on my RL. It would delete the 3rd cat and resolve the poor design of the JPipe.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #57 (permalink)

anyone else remove the 3rd cat?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #58 (permalink)

06 MDX Touring with Nav

Just brought the wife and 4 kids from PA to NE, about 880 miles in our 06 MDX. I also have a hitch and carry a StowAway2 on the back. Running 64mph and staying at around 1800 rpms was able to average 24.6 mpg for the trip. I reset the trip computer to see what 70mph would do for 20 minutes and mileage dropped to 20.4 mpg.

Ran only premium gas and increased tire pressure to 40psi. I'm going to try and replace the air filter and EGR valve for the ride home and see if I can improve.

YES it is painful to drive 64 in a 70, BUT at 3.70 a gallon we're saving around 100 round trip!
BOROMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #59 (permalink)

I don't think 20 minutes of driving at a higher speed will be indicative of your overall mpg. You're basing your mpg on the usage of one gallon of gas. You'd be better off driving at the higher speed for a full tank of gas … or at least half a tank.

But yes, in general, the faster you go (especially above 55/60) the worse your mpg will be. It's a trade-off between the value of your time and your safety. Traveling well under the speed limit can be dangerous as well (not saying that you are well under).
-jon- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #60 (permalink)

I get 12.5 mpg with 26" rims!!!
royeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: