gas mileage IMPROVEMENTS - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had a current gen Tahoe with the v8, flex fuel (joke), and cylinder shutoff tech for 4 years. Never got better gas mileage than what I'm getting on my x. City or highway. You have to be coasting for the Tahoe to run on 4 cylinders.

Can't really talk to the northstar.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

I got a extra 20 per tank on premium with a K&N filter and mid muffler(resonator) delete. Drove like a granny for a month before the work and the same after. Total cost for all work was 54.00 for the rechargeable filter which replaced my stock Honda spec filter and my mechanic charged me $85 bucks to delete the mid pipe and put a straight pipe extension in its place. I'm getting my car inspected in the next month so I'll let ya know if she still passes the carb/o2 sniff test.
If you get it done pay extra for welding AND clamps. The less restriction from the delete will crack the welds from pressure out.

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
HAVE:04 Acura MDX Touring w/ Nav-RES
00 Jeep Cherokee Limited (City Car)
WANT:2011 Caddy CTS-V Hennessey Edition
2015 Acura NSX Type S
AutisMDXTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think you need to find a new welder.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson37 View Post
I had a current gen Tahoe with the v8, flex fuel (joke), and cylinder shutoff tech for 4 years. Never got better gas mileage than what I'm getting on my x. City or highway. You have to be coasting for the Tahoe to run on 4 cylinders.

Can't really talk to the northstar.

You must get a lot better MDX fuel economy than I do. On a trip the best mine will do will be 20.00. The Tahoe I drove averaged 20.7 for the trip.

And that Tahoe was loaded: 4 guys, their luggage and golf clubs. That is the reason I took the Tahoe instead of my MDX. My MDX would hold the passengers OK, but never approach the storage room in the back.

All road speeds around 75mph.

George
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy07 View Post
I think you need to find a new welder.
Yeah, he didn't like it when I made that same comment. "it's got rust on both ends"

I told him it sounded like some he needed "a shot of something to clear it right up"

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosT View Post
Life is too short to drive like a granny.

- Carbon Man
Amen Carlos

I save the granny driving for when I'm a grandpa. I've just learned to memorize headlights and taillight shape in the dark. And go slow in Philly. And watch for the pa troopers.

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

did removing the mid section muffler cause any significant sound changes? Did you replace it with a 2.5" or 2.25" piece of pipe? I am looking for an extra 25-50 miles to the tank. I did the K&N drop in filter already. I bet that muffler weights about 50 lbs anyway...

I have seen a lot of talk about this RV6 J Pipe dont I find it hard to believe that will make that significant of a difference.

Is there anyway to have the 4th and 5th gear fuel partially leaned out for highway driving? Are there any chips/computers that can do that?
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think he put a 2.25 extension on there, like I said it was a quick job just to be able to post the results on the boards for FYI. Slightly more open of a sound, more throat. here is a thread on youtube from a guy who did it on a 01-03.

I have a 04 and like I said my wife, (who is a gearhead too ) noticed the sound when I backed in to my parking spot standing behind it. She drove it and said the pedal felt more responsive. And it's not her daily driver, she drives it once a week! There has been a few conversations on the board about the X having a very restrictive exhaust. Thats why I'm gonna do a custom Flowmaster setup and see what happens. Maybe I'll have better gas mileage numbers to report after the custom. I'm waiting till the weather period breaks before I start a weekly granny driving session (Before and After). Don't want to cheat the numbers by making a gas mileage claim and a snow storm was part of the numbers. Im lucky, I drive the same route during the same traffic times.

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

By the way, I've heard cars like the X, don't chip/ computer mod well. More like its a waste of money. It may help shift points and torque feel (performance) but with gas milage it can usually only go down in horsepower and thats what is giving you a gas savings. But then thats another set of issues with the car.

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

this is that massive muffler in the mid section correct? i have a 2006 mdx touring
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

Last tank I got 16 mpg. 80% highway, 20% city. I knew it was bad, but that's terrible. Mid-grade gasoline. Premium hasn't done any better.

I'll do an air filter change and perhaps the plugs but I doubt I'll gain anything.

Please update if removing the mid-muffler helps.
santalopian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
this is that massive muffler in the mid section correct? i have a 2006 mdx touring
Haha, look under almost ever Honda/ Acura and you'll see it. It's just as ugly under my neighbors 2008 Honda Accord 2dr V6 coupe.
I know why they put them there, but it's like a contractors butt crack when he bends over, you know why it happened...but they make stuff for that now!
Really?!?!

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

If that muffler that isnt doing really anything considering there is 3 cats and 2 rear mufflers is holding up 20 miles to the tank.... im gonna be pissed... Does anyone have anymore truth to this?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
If that muffler that isnt doing really anything considering there is 3 cats and 2 rear mufflers is holding up 20 miles to the tank.... im gonna be pissed... Does anyone have anymore truth to this?
You will see no improvement at all unless you are flogging it all the time and even then it would not be much.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #30 (permalink)

AutisMDXTypeS was just talking about getting an extra 20 miles to the tank... roughly a 1mpg increase from cutting off the mid muffler?

This would be a modification people can do for less that 100 dollars without the sacrifice of excessive sound from the exhaust system and with the price of fuel continuing to go up it would easily pay for itself in due time. That is if it will actually give that 1mpg increase.

I would just like further confirmation on this modification before I spend a dollar doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy07 View Post
You will see no improvement at all unless you are flogging it all the time and even then it would not be much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: