Rear Catalytic Converter - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rear Catalytic Converter

Hi, I'm keep getting the engine code P0420....Catalytic converter below efficiency.

The dealer said the converter is bad. I was thinking if it might be the oxygen sensor not working properly...the converter is pretty expensive.

Does anyone have any tip on removing the catalytic converter?
jmdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

shouldnt your dealer cover this? (Depending on how old your car is)
mowashear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have 107,000 miles, they said is out of warranty.......
Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any updates on this? I too have this problem. I replaced the upstream o2 sensor close to the firewall because I got a good deal on it. The check engine light went out for a few days, then has remained on ever since. I had it scanned again, and it is still coming up with P0420.

I've found plenty of good deals for the catalytic converters, around $200. I would be interested in knowing how difficult it is to change one out so that I can make a decision on whether to gamble on replacing it myself, or taking it to the shop where they'll charge me many times over the cost of the converter alone.
heelstriker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdx View Post
Hi, I'm keep getting the engine code P0420....Catalytic converter below efficiency.

The dealer said the converter is bad. I was thinking if it might be the oxygen sensor not working properly...the converter is pretty expensive.

Does anyone have any tip on removing the catalytic converter?
There was a letter (PRODUCT UPDATE:MIL Comes On With DTC P0420) sent out Sept 2011 stating the extension of the warranty from 80k to 10yr/ 120k miles on some 2007 MDXs. Make sure to ask your acura dealer about this. A software update in the powertrain control module is also available.

The sensor was replaced under warranty; rear cat was replaced under "goodwill" prior to receiving the letter!

Good news for those who already replaced and paid for it- you maybe eligible for reimbursement!
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well,i haven't changed it yet. The code comes and goes . It is an intermittent problem. That's why I think it might be the o2.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rear cat??? Do you mean the mid cat/ resonator?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
HAVE:04 Acura MDX Touring w/ Nav-RES
00 Jeep Cherokee Limited (City Car)
WANT:2011 Caddy CTS-V Hennessey Edition
2015 Acura NSX Type S
AutisMDXTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

is there a way to delete the mid cat and the sensor for it... 3 cats is over the top in my opinion...
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

If your talking about the mid cat/ resonator just take it off( middle of the car underneath the front passages seats). Chop Chop
I don't think it has a o2 sensor. I asked my muffler guy to kill mine, he didn't mention a sensor and I'm sure he would have told me the had to stick it in another cat to "fool" it.

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
is there a way to delete the mid cat and the sensor for it... 3 cats is over the top in my opinion...
I assume your opinion is informed by your vast experience in emission control systems to ensure vehicles meet environmentally mandated emission standards? If so, please explain how you arrived at your informed opinion.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Other Cars (Current): 2008 Lexus IS350 & 2007 Volvo S60R
Ari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I assume your opinion is informed by your vast experience in emission control systems to ensure vehicles meet environmentally mandated emission standards? If so, please explain how you arrived at your informed opinion.
And away we go!

In this corner, weighing in at 178 pounds........

Hahaha

I love this place! Lol

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hey Ari, not being smart at all. But if the exhaust system passes the inspection "sniffer" does that mean she is pumping out "clean enough" or is that only looking for certain things and not all pollutants. I know they try and make stock exhaust units quiet and pollute "free" but it's never made sense how a stock sports car can come with five components from the factory and then you can do a "header back" system and it only has a small cat and a small muffler be less restrictive and still not pollute. I know cost is involved too but somebody's being too greedy (money) or something isn't working as good (the muffler system).

2015 Acura NSX Type S
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutisMDXTypeS View Post
Hey Ari, not being smart at all. But if the exhaust system passes the inspection "sniffer" does that mean she is pumping out "clean enough" or is that only looking for certain things and not all pollutants. I know they try and make stock exhaust units quiet and pollute "free" but it's never made sense how a stock sports car can come with five components from the factory and then you can do a "header back" system and it only has a small cat and a small muffler be less restrictive and still not pollute. I know cost is involved too but somebody's being too greedy (money) or something isn't working as good (the muffler system).
I'm the last person to be an environmentalist per se but I also know that things are there for good reason and that I do not have the background and expertise to second-guess those reasons. Insofar as I understand things the issue of making a change and still passing pollutant tests is that the variances allowed are such that yes, it could pass with the changes that come from removing components but that the levels of harmful pollutants increases. Just because it can pass does not mean it passed as well as it should have.

I cared less about these things until I had kids and now I care more about them and try to do what little things I can do within reason to minimize the impact I have on the world they will inherit. For example, I pay about $50 more a year for the Wall Street Journal on my Kindle in part because it comes to be electronically and reduces environmental impact to produce, ship, deliver, and then throw away/recycle the printed paper. To me that $50 is money well spent though the return on investment is large imperceptible save for the knowledge of having gone that route.
2011 Acura MDX Tech/Ent (Palladium Metallic/Ebony): OEM Wood Steering Wheel, OEM Wood Shift Knob, Advance Running Boards, OEM Tow Package & Color Matched Body Side Moldings. Mods: Power Steering Filter and LED Interior Lights Awaiting Install: HID Fog Lights

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

alright while my question actually didnt include a question mark and was more of a statement than a question i will rephrase it...

if i replaced the mid cat and mid muffler with a straight pipe would there be drastic decibal changes to the exhaust system with there already being 2 more cats and 2 more mufflers at the back of my 2006 MDX, would it throw an engine code, and it would it pass an emissions test?

my 1994 has 1 catalytic converter inline with the downpipe... the 2006 acura mdx i have has a cat on each of the 2 downpipes... why is there ANOTHER one?

Ari- In response to your smartass remarks I dont think me asking about removing 1 of the 3 cat converters on my luxury SUV in an attempt to improve fuel economy and my economic impact on the united states even suggests at all that i am looking to pollute the environment further... if you want to bash someone about environmental hazards why dont you talk to the owners of the big trucks with catless true dual exhaust systems instead of even considering it towards people driving luxury vehicles...
DelSolMarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
alright while my question actually didnt include a question mark and was more of a statement than a question i will rephrase it...

if i replaced the mid cat and mid muffler with a straight pipe would there be drastic decibal changes to the exhaust system with there already being 2 more cats and 2 more mufflers at the back of my 2006 MDX, would it throw an engine code, and it would it pass an emissions test?

my 1994 has 1 catalytic converter inline with the downpipe... the 2006 acura mdx i have has a cat on each of the 2 downpipes... why is there ANOTHER one?

Ari- In response to your smartass remarks I dont think me asking about removing 1 of the 3 cat converters on my luxury SUV in an attempt to improve fuel economy and my economic impact on the united states even suggests at all that i am looking to pollute the environment further... if you want to bash someone about environmental hazards why dont you talk to the owners of the big trucks with catless true dual exhaust systems instead of even considering it towards people driving luxury vehicles...
If you go back and read the posts I didn't call you out by name or by implication. I responded to AustinMDXTypeS but you chose to take offense to genuine criticism of the idea to remove a piece of equipment mandated (rightly or wrongly is an entirely different subject) by the government.

We are on an MDX forum to discuss issues about the MDX but thanks for the useless suggestion to "talk to the owners of the big trucks with catless true dual exhaust systems instead of even considering it towards people driving luxury vehicles..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: