Rear Catalytic Converter - Page 4 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelSolMarine View Post
my point exactly to the early debate in this thread... can the 3rd cat just be killed, at failure, to stay in emissions compliancy?
From what I know,( disclaimer...not much) but you can't KILL a cat cheaply, you can only fool a cat. I've heard of racers drilling a second hole in places to stick it in the cat ahead of it or later inline...never made sense to me. I believe in (really) doing what you have to do and keeping it clean. I've heard guy doing bypass flaps on the street in California to open her up to race and closing it if a cop pulls them over( they have mobile "sniffer" trucks out there I heard) or guys on the East coast here swapping exhaust for inspection. Sounds like to much work.
LS short, if you kill the cat it might not pass the sniffer, then what ya got?
"Same verse as the first"
Back to the lab again!

HAD: 84 Corvette(SC) Coupe, 1969 Mustang Boss 302 Coupe,1984 Datsun 280ZX(Turbo),(3x)03 Mazda MX-6 V6,05 Camaro SS,98 Jeep GC 5.9 Limited,99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition,05 Subie WRX Limited
HAVE:04 Acura MDX Touring w/ Nav-RES
00 Jeep Cherokee Limited (City Car)
WANT:2011 Caddy CTS-V Hennessey Edition
2015 Acura NSX Type S
AutisMDXTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #47 (permalink)

No sensor is there for the 3rd cat, only the 4 sensors on the 2 primary cats.
My '04 is labeled a ULEV... Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. I'm guessing the 3rd cat on the '03 - '06 MDX is only to bring down the emissions enough to get that label. With just the two primary cats, I think it'd still meet the regular emissions level requirements. I haven't measured anything, just guessing...
I'm going to be replacing my cat/mid-pipe/first-muffler with larger pipe & a magnaflow 1in2out (3"in-2.5"out) muffler and adapt it down to the rear muffler pipes. Seems to me that the cat & midpipe are the greatest choke points in the exhaust.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #48 (permalink)

I don't know what's the issue for emissions and all that...a hair spray breaks more the ozone than CO2 emmissions from cars lol ( I am beong sarcastic, not well informed on that matter nor any research done lol) anyways here's the reason for the 3 cats ULEV! that's why they don't want low emmissions they want ULTRA LOW EMMISSIONS just as always acura giving the extra mile....2 cats will pass anyway....but we can say our luxury SUV exhale CLEANER gas lol

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/395049...ort-utility-4d
MDX Touring 2001 75W Hid Kit 6000K
15W Reverse Hid Kit 6000K
Full Interior LED's
TavuL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #49 (permalink)

So, for someone with 0420 code on 2003 mdx? it's most likely cat convertor replacement? anyone know how much the part was and cost at dealership? i don't think going non oem on a cat convertor would be reliable.
mdxer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #50 (permalink)

Check Emission Lights on even after Replacing Cat

So the check engine on my '07 came on around 96k. The dealer changed on under warranty. The light went off. However, a week less than a week later, the light came back on. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that the Oxygen (O2) sensor is bad and I need to replace it. Is this typical/common/usual? They want around $370 to change O sensor. What is the opinion form the experience folks here?

Thank you.
icebergtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: