When to change timing belt? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

When to change timing belt?

So my MDX has 64,000 miles on it and it lives in Canada now. Looking at the standard service plan they say the timing belt should be changed at 105,000 miles. But, when I called Acura service in Canada they say it has to be done at 105,000 km, wtf? So what is it 105,000 miles or kms?? I can see further south like in Texas where temps are very high it should be changed more frequently perhaps, but how about where temps are relatively cooler and sometimes very cold, does this change the interval at all?

Thanks in advance!
Toyota4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Should be replace at 105K miles.
jaxkxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota4ever View Post
So my MDX has 64,000 miles on it and it lives in Canada now. Looking at the standard service plan they say the timing belt should be changed at 105,000 miles. But, when I called Acura service in Canada they say it has to be done at 105,000 km, wtf? So what is it 105,000 miles or kms?? I can see further south like in Texas where temps are very high it should be changed more frequently perhaps, but how about where temps are relatively cooler and sometimes very cold, does this change the interval at all?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what year you have, but the 2003 owners manual has a note that Canadian owners should follow the severe schedule and the severe schedule calls for timing belt changes at 60,000 miles/96,000 KM/48 months. However, that assumes it has lived in Canada all it's life. If you just moved there from the US, I'd say you have used roughly half it's life. You then would have half it's Canadian life left (30K miles). So I'd change it by 90K miles. Unless you simply moved from one side of the border to the other, then I'd go to 105K.

Hot weather stretches and wears the belt, cold dry weather causes it to dry out and crack.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

The owner's manual for my 2004 MDX says that, for regular conditions in the United States, the timing belt should be changed after 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Use that as your guide.

[EDIT: I mistakenly thought yours was a 2003, and said this, which would apply to a 2003, but not to a 2006 like yours: "Assuming the same thing applies for the 2003 MDX, yours is ONE YEAR OVERDUE for a timing belt change, even if it didn't spend its life in Canada. Given how much damage a timing belt failure can cause, I strongly advise you to change it NOW."]
nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

My MDX is a 2006. It came from Minneapolis two years ago (30,000 miles) and is in Winnipeg, MB which is only an hour from the US border. Either way i'm going to change it fairly soon. Peace of mind is worth the $500 bucks Acura wants to replace just the belt.

Thanks for the replies!
Toyota4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The ’06 Owner’s and Service Manual says to follow the “Severe Conditions” schedule for Canada. Both recommend a 105K mi/7yr. TB replacement interval in normal & severe conditions.

The Service Manual describes other extreme conditions and the Owner’s Manual goes on to recommend the 60K mi replacement under extreme temperature or towing.

Depending on the age of your car (As mentioned above) the Dealer may be right, half right, or dead wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Timing Belt Maintenance-Owner's Manual.pdf (108.0 KB, 1039 views)
File Type: pdf Timing Belt Maintenance-Service Manual.pdf (2.35 MB, 795 views)
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry, I saw the 2003 year mentioned in the other reply and got confused.

If you don't qualify for those other additional extreme conditions, you'll want to change it in two more years, assuming you don't hit 105K miles before then.
nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
[EDIT: I mistakenly thought yours was a 2003....... ]
I had provided the 2003 manual detail just guessing at the year because the OP did not originally specify the year.

Interestingly, in 2004, they retain the note that Canadian owners should follow the severe schedule, but they remove the 60K first timing belt change requirement from the severe schedule. They do keep the special condition note that the timing belt should be changed at 60K miles if you REGULARLY drive in conditions under -20F or over 110F or frequently tow.
JL_SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipis View Post
Specifically do not want to assume a new topic so I ask here. Has anyone mentioned the Acura timing belt? Is it complicated? It is better to give the car to a mechanic, or you can try yourself? Maybe someone has a description rorządu belt replacement?
Always better to spam an old thread than start a new one, thanks! Jackazz.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Taking the advice given for timing belt change, I had the timing belt changed this past week on my '03 MDX touring at 87,700 miles. A rear motor mount was changed out as well at the price of the part since the labor charge for the timing belt was already charged.
43KRS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43KRS View Post
Taking the advice given for timing belt change, I had the timing belt changed this past week on my '03 MDX touring at 87,700 miles.
Your timing belt was two years overdue. It's a good thing that it didn't break and trash your engine.
lion9mdx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

The used 2003 I bought is in the shop for a multitude of problems. I just bought it on 5/21. To answer the question of the timing belt, Every 7 years or 105,000 miles. This car did not have it done along with about 8 other expensive repairs.

Kristin
kmscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Read the forums but hope response to my posting will provide more clarity.
We have a 2005 MDX which only has 44,000 miles on it. Does anyone know how urgent it is to change timing belt after 7 years? Although the manual recommends changing it after 7 years but wanted to know if there is better understanding in this community that it can be postponed for some time.
Hopefully many people have seen it that timing belt was not in bad shape when they tried to change it. Heard some horror stories of making multiple trips to dealer when these types of things were not fixed right the first time by the dealer. So a bit cautious.

Thanks in advance. Raky
raky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would not postpone it. Belts can dry out over time, not just mileage. If you postpone it and the belt fails, you could need to replace the engine in your car, which would be far, far more expensive than the cost of replacing the timing belt now. So you're comparing the chance of a hugely expensive failure, against spending the relatively reasonable cost of the replacement. I wouldn't take that chance. Of course, it's your car, and you can take that chance if you want. But if taking that risk doesn't work out for you, you'll be regretting your decision in a major way. Your choice.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

If it breaks you risk losing the motor, but you would be the first case that I have ever heard of.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: