04 MDX timing belt replacement cost - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

04 MDX timing belt replacement cost

My 04 X is due for the timing belt replacement. Called several local Acura dealer, and they all ask for $640 (belt only) or $920 (with water pump package). Does it sound normal?

Today, I called a dealer which is 380 miles away and found their price is surprisingly better. Only $399 for the belt, and may be $299 with the coupon! Check: Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials.. Sounds right? Too good to be true? Is it worth doing so far?
qinyf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I paid $600 for parts and labour. Pump and belt.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks!

My local deal still wants 8++ for the same service, even they knows the other remote dealer only charges 700......
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinyf View Post
Today, I called a dealer which is 380 miles away and found their price is surprisingly better. Only $399 for the belt, and may be $299 with the coupon! Check: Specials on new and used cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, parts and service specials.. Sounds right? Too good to be true? Is it worth doing so far?
$299 is tempting for the timing belt. Especially so if only parts cost can be added for the water pump & serpentine belt, but…

Temecula, CA is more than 380mi from Ann Arbor?
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Coupon says "Starting at", I'd be real clear before I made that trip what "Stopping at" might be.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinyf View Post
My 04 X is due for the timing belt replacement. Called several local Acura dealer, and they all ask for $640 (belt only) or $920 (with water pump package). Does it sound normal?

that is dirt cheap! but I am in chicago area and dealerships around here charge 1299. I just had mine done on 00RL and I paid 700 as a "side job" for tb/wp.
dc1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM MDX View Post
$299 is tempting for the timing belt. Especially so if only parts cost can be added for the water pump & serpentine belt, but…

Temecula, CA is more than 380mi from Ann Arbor?
Sorry, forgot to update my profile. I actually escaped from Michigan and am in Phoenix now.......

Actually, V6 costs 100$ more, which is $399 just for timing belt... Have to ask if including serpentine belt. The package is $700....
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

no way you're getting the mdx's belt replaced for $299. I just did mine at an independent garage for $750 - serpentine belt, timing belt, WP, and tensionor.

Acura dealer wanted $1200, Honda dealer wanted $1000
CODOG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just had mine fixed for $799 (timing belt, water pump, and serpetine belt) at Tustin Auto Center Acura, but since getting my car back, when I come to a complete stop, it idles down to the point where it sometimes dies. I took it back to Tustin Auto Center and they said it was just a "code in the computer." Does this sound right??

Thanks for the help.
miken12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Timing Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by miken12 View Post
I just had mine fixed for $799 (timing belt, water pump, and serpetine belt) at Tustin Auto Center Acura, but since getting my car back, when I come to a complete stop, it idles down to the point where it sometimes dies. I took it back to Tustin Auto Center and they said it was just a "code in the computer." Does this sound right??

Thanks for the help.
$799 is cheap.....I have a 02 and Sierra Acura (Alhambra, CA) wanted $1,150 for the job (no water pump!).
kwaidoi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just went to the Local Honda dealer, ( Roseville,Ca.) and was quoted $1,350.00 + Tax to do my timing belt and water pump on my 04 MDX. The local Acura dealer wanted $1,900.00! Both dealerships said they have to adjust the valves after changing the timing belt. Is there any truth behind that or am I getting suckered into a valve adjustment?
Any of you Bay Area MDX owners know of any place your way that does this service cheaper than let me know, thanks!
bkmdano12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just had a local Honda/Acura only indy do mine. It was $570 including water pump and serpantine belt. He is in Burlington, NC BTW.
Greg T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmdano12 View Post
The local Acura dealer wanted $1,900.00! Both dealerships said they have to adjust the valves after changing the timing belt. Is there any truth behind that or am I getting suckered into a valve adjustment?
They may not have to do it, but it's due, according to the service intervals in the maintenance schedules in the manuals. Replacing the timing belt is recommended for 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. The valve adjustment is recommended for 105K miles regardless of time interval. So unless you're doing the timing belt because you're hitting 7 years and your mileage is way under 105K, the valve adjustment is due at the same time.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

anyone have a DIY for this service? I'd rather not pay $1k when I can do it myself. I've done the timing belt on Audis, and do all my own work on my BMW, so I'm fairly confident I would be able to do this, too.
AgentHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentHubcap View Post
anyone have a DIY for this service? I'd rather not pay $1k when I can do it myself. I've done the timing belt on Audis, and do all my own work on my BMW, so I'm fairly confident I would be able to do this, too.
If you want to work on your MDX, buy the service manual (click here). The factory service manual is GREAT. Even better, the ones for the 2007 and earlier years are all 25 percent off.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: