2004 MDX engine metal screeching at start - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, no screeching anymore, even at 4:00am in cold morning.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Great write up! i tried doing this a few weeks back but the removal looked rather difficult. I may have to give it another try. The pics really help oliver. Shows exactly where to put the grease. oliver, I don' think you mentioned it but has this solved the screeching?
oliver202505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm happy to report that my starter also has been "cured".

Thanks again Oliver!

I've got a 94 Accord that similar noise, but much more screeching sound. Hopefully same fix will work.

regards
TexasHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #18 (permalink)

I feel like I've finally hit the jackpot! I've taken my car in to the mechanic twice and had two new starters put in. Please bare with me here - I know NOTHING about cars. Why doesn't a new starter fix this problem? It wasn't a genuine honda part - is that the issue? Thank you so much in advance!!!!
LuvDMB97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDMB97 View Post
I feel like I've finally hit the jackpot! I've taken my car in to the mechanic twice and had two new starters put in. Please bare with me here - I know NOTHING about cars. Why doesn't a new starter fix this problem? It wasn't a genuine honda part - is that the issue? Thank you so much in advance!!!!
It's been reported that rebuilt starters may still have the screeching.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

You see from the thread that lubrication of the idler gear shaft and shaft holder is the key. If you had a dry shaft, the noise may still be there.

good luck
Old 03-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Did all the above and the screeching returned in a few months...Sorry guys. LOL.
softgenious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Great write up! i tried doing this a few weeks back but the removal looked rather difficult. I may have to give it another try. The pics really help oliver. Shows exactly where to put the grease. oliver, I don' think you mentioned it but has this solved the screeching?
I finally got around to doing this and it wasn't too bad. The grease seemed to do the trick but we'll see how long it lasts. Thanks again oliver for the pics!

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

My MDX starter lube is going on 9 months and still starts w/o a screech.

regards
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHonda View Post
My MDX starter lube is going on 9 months and still starts w/o a screech.

regards
Good news Tex!

12 Toyota Avalon Limited
Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Talking Is the instruction same to 02 mdx?

I have the same issue right now but most of the owner that replay here were 04 and 06. Is it the same way to do it for my 02 mdx? Thanks!
rhemz81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvDMB97 View Post
A starter may not solve the screech problem because that was not the problem. A loose serpentine belt (tensioning pully bad) will cause the same thing on startup.

George
Old 12-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my 2005 MDX in extremely freezing temperatures (Calgary - 10 deg C). Took it to the mechanic who took the starter out after removing the battery. Did not take long. Had the starter refurbished by an auto electrician who changed the spring as well (do not know if it was OEM). He also said that seals were not necessary but I did not feel comfortable. My mechanic re-installed it and the schreeching noise is gone but under -35 deg C slight noise would still come. Will see how this goes this winter. Cost me Cdn$90 (electrician) and $65 for mechanic.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Good to find confirmation of my guess on this noise! My '03 was doing that screech that I thought was a dry bearing in the starter solenoid. Sort of glad to see it's "only" the gear shaft, and not internal to the starter.

They must have started putting the rubber seals on the '04s, 'cause mine didn't have them, either. The gear and shaft were dry and had no sign of any previous factory lube.

Anyway, things I did different: I pulled the battery AND the plastic and metal battery trays out. Easy to do, hardest was to find the fourth bolt, holding the driver-rear-side of the tray in. Using a panel puller, to remove the clip holding the wire harness to the rear of the tray, made the bolt accessible. Another clip holds the harness to the inner fender; reach into the wheel well to squeeze and release it. Couple more easy-to-get-to harness clips finished the tray removal.

Removed the connections to the starter--the nut holding the main starter cable and the spade terminal-type connector, both under rubber caps, on the solenoid. Took off the two large plastic clips on the radiator hoses and pulled the trans dipstick. Oh, I also took off the O2 sensor(?) connector, by the main starter cable, to get it out of the way, since it was easy. That was all it took.

Reinstall was everything in reverse. Works great, hope it lasts a long time. And it gave me a chance to clean up my battery terminals! Thanks for the .pdf postings, nice to have the diagrams. They did show the mounting bolts as 10mm, but someone posted earlier (and correctly) that they are 14mm.

Cost: ~$12, for some spray cleaner and fresh grease.
2003 Touring/Navi, SS/Quartz, Color-matched roof deflector, wood trim AND shift knob, cargo cover, floor/cargo mats, non-working hood struts, brake clunk, Photon torpedos, and a partridge in a pear tree...

2003 Z06 Vette, MY/Blk, with stuff...
2005 Vibe, beater, commuter, and all around thrasher.
2007 FJ Cruiser, rubber floor mats and bungee cords... ...lots of 'em.
S-TEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

i've heard older mdx's have major starter issues. mine is random. i'm not a mechanic but replacing the starter won't fix the screeching noise?
mdxer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #30 (permalink)

I have a 2008 MDX that screeches at start up as well when cold out, below freezing, so going to see if I can pull it out tomorrow and apply grease to the gears for a fix.

Truck has 67k miles and it is starting to get issues, this is one of many and I maintain the vehicle meticulously.
Red89gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: