No Front Heat - 2004 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
z22

No Front Heat - 2004 MDX

2004 MDX with 194k.
My Front heat died today. The higher I raise the heat the faster the fan blows cool air.
The A/C in the front works great.
The Rear Fan Heat blows heat like no tomorrow when asked and the Rear A/C work fine.
observation. My temp guage has been rather low, like noticably below the half way mark.
My look at this forum makes me think it may be the heater control cable or possbily a blown thermal fuse.
thanks for your help.
z22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

I dont think its the thermal fuse, because the front AC still blows. Maybe because of the low engine temp, you have a bad thermostat. That can be heater related.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
z22

No Heat - 2004 MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
I dont think its the thermal fuse, because the front AC still blows. Maybe because of the low engine temp, you have a bad thermostat. That can be heater related.
Could the thermostat be the problem even though the rear heat controls works fine?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
z22

I just rechecked the rear heat and it is not blowing much heat at all. It is probaly the thermostat. thanks! I'll let you know what it turns out to be.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

My '04 temp gauge...>

has been below mid-point, probably 3.5-4.0 if the scale was 0 - 10, since the day I got the car. Does it take a lot longer for your MDX to reach operating temp? That would be a sure sign your thermostat is stuck open. Another possibility would be a clogged heater core. My other car is a 2002 VW Passat wagon and those dubs are very finicky as to the coolant being run. Clogged heater cores are very common issue with them and the symptoms match yours.
OmmieF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
z22

2004 MDX update - My local mechanic found the problem. Both the front and rear heat and A/c work now BUT he said the fix is temporary. I need to order a part. I will see him later today to get the part name/number.
recap - I had no heat in the front but the heat in the rear was working fine. Fans & A/C in both front and rear were all working fine. The Heater Control Valve Cable checked out fine as well as the flapper door.
Apparently the spot where the heater control valve arm cable screws into was dirty and loose. He tightened the screw back up and everything is working fine now. He said it is temporary fix because the unit that this screws into was stripped and will most likely come loose again.
I'll know more later today.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just found out I have the same exact problem. Could you please let me know what part he replaces and any other necessary details?

Thanks and good luck!!
wilmaflinstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad it was only the heater control valve cable. Your thermostat is probably fine then. Your temp reading might be normal.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
z22

my control valve cable is fine. I am still trying to figure out the name and or part number of what the heater control valve cable screwws into. the unit where the screw goes in is stripped. anyone know the name of that part? there was a picture of that part with the cable on another thread. i'll try and find it and post it here.
thanks
my mechanic does not know the name of it and I can't find the right diagram on the acuraoem.com website
Old 09-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
z22

here is a picture of the part that i am looking to find the name and or part number for. it has two clamps on either end and a screw in the middle that is connected to the heater control valve cable.
any idea what that part is? thanks

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachm...eat-front-weak
Attached Thumbnails
No Front Heat - 2004 MDX-2004-mdx-control-valve-20control-20assembly.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
z22

Quote:
Originally Posted by z22 View Post
here is a picture of the part that i am looking to find the name and or part number for. it has two clamps on either end and a screw in the middle that is connected to the heater control valve cable.
any idea what that part is? thanks

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachm...eat-front-weak
Can anyone help me identify the name and or part number in this picture in my previous post? the heater control valve cable is attached to it with two clamps on either end. thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I wish I could help with the part number but I'm not sure. I can say I almost got raked for $1200 to replace my front heater core from the "certified" technicians at the dealership for my 04' MDX Touring. Started searching the web and found this awesome sight with great info leading to this thread. I found that pic posted here and visually tested that control cable and valve to ensure they were operating and it all passed visual inspection. Well today I went to try and flush my heater core thinking the techs were right and that it was clogged but when I felt the control cable and valve instantly I could tell that even though they were operating properly the valve was loose (it was actually my friend who found it not me, credit where credit is due). A few turns with a phillips head screw driver and instantly I had front heat and $1200 extra dollars!

So don't just do a visual inspection, get a screw driver and tighten away. If yours is similar to mine and just loose you could try removing that screw and giving the opening a shot of Loctite to prevent any future slippage.

Hope this helps. My advise to finding the name of the part would be to take your vehicle to the Acura dealer and have them price the part out for you. That way you're not just asking them to do you a favor by telling you the part so you can shop it online and you leave them thinking they will get the work and you will get your part name.

Good luck to all and thanks to everyone who took the time to post their experiences helping other could have been victims like myself!
BigDEEZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you z22! My 2004 MDX had the exact same problem - rear heater was operating fine but no front heat (all fans functional). I used a quality #2 phillips head and cranked down the valve stem screw on the hot water control valve. It turned maybe 1 full turn, but it did the trick! Luckily the screw was not stripped like yours, so I'm hopeful this fix will hold. The odd thing was that my hot water control valve and control cable looked to be in slightly different locations than shown in the posted photo. Nevertheless, the fix worked and I'm greatful for you sharing your experience - saved me some $$$!
chicknwing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not sure if you still need this or if this. I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for.
79710-S3V-A01

Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura
87 Honda Rebel 450

Previous Fun Cars:
07 Audi A3 S-Line
04 Honda S2000
84 Corvette
converted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe everyone should check the screw on their MDX!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: