Intermittent TPMS Light - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Intermittent TPMS Light

I searched on the subject first, but was not able to find any similar threads so I'll throw this out there.

My TPMS light seems to come on and off intermittently, specifically on very cold days and then after a little while of driving it disappears. Tire pressure is fine as I've checked it. The same thing happened last winter and this summer no issue.

All of a sudden, the weather has plummetted below 0 degrees and this light comes on/off again. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I also experience this same problem. The first time, I went to walmart and purchased the tire compressor and the light went off. The second ocurance was this friday morning with two indicators for the passenger side(front & back) tire. I was late for my appointment when I saw the problem so I didn't do anything. I use the truck today and the indicators had went off. hmmm. I read somewhere that when you hit a pothole or drive on rough roads, it can mess with the sensors but they eventually reconfigure themselves out.
cookillah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is doing the same thing since the temp dropped last week. I would either add a pound or two to your tires or watch them to make sure there are no leaks.

Since air is a gas, it expands when heated and contracts when cooled and can fluctuate a pound or two either way.

Here is a detailed explanation from Tire Rack:

Tire Rack change in pressure
wasjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wasjr
Mine is doing the same thing since the temp dropped last week. I would either add a pound or two to your tires or watch them to make sure there are no leaks.

Since air is a gas, it expands when heated and contracts when cooled and can fluctuate a pound or two either way.

Here is a detailed explanation from Tire Rack:

Tire Rack change in pressure
I hear what you are saying and if it was one of the tires that lit up then yes I would concur, but this is the actual "TPMS" light that comes up, not one of the 4 tire lights in the instrument panel.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dj_dk

I hear what you are saying and if it was one of the tires that lit up then yes I would concur, but this is the actual "TPMS" light that comes up, not one of the 4 tire lights in the instrument panel.
Its possible one of the sensors is not communicating or dead. When I put my spare tire on a few weeks ago, I would get the TPMS light. The tire light never went on.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dj_dk

In my case it is the main light as well as one or more individual tire lights that will come on. When the tires warm up and all individual tire lights are out, then the main light goes out as well.
wasjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

bump
still no resolution to this?

my yellow 'tpms' light comes on intermittently as well...irritating little bugger
4ntvinacura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Its possible that one of the sensors isnt working or just a issue with the main TPMS module.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

My TPMS only lights up in the dead of winter, haven't seen it in a few months. Must be sensitive to the deep freeze.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

check to see if you can reset them. I had to do that on my lexus es350 because i inadvertently set it too high by accident.

I just checked and there appears to be no reset button on this MDX afaik. On the lexus, you can adjust the tire pressure to what you want and then hold a button to set the tire pressure so that when it is 25% lower, the TPMS will come on. Maybe one of your TPMS is acting up?

-cl206

-cl206
cl206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Some TPMS info here:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/b051100.PDF
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mine does the exact same thing...>

2004 MDX, TPMS light comes on intermittently when it is very cold out, dead of winter. After car is driven for a while & turned off, the next start with the car warm will have no light.
OmmieF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mines been doing this on my 05,i read replacing the fuse would possibly fix it, anyone know what fuse is for the tpms light??
acuramdxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

The tpms was the governments response to the Ford Bronco issue, with the tires blaming Ford and Ford blaming the tires, for flipping. The gov. mandated tpms sensors, but can someone tell me how a tpms sensor is suppose to not break, it goes from hot to cold to hot..bump to bump, speed to speed, ect. There was a study done, and it showed that majority of americans ignore the light, ( Sorry, I can't remember the exact figures, but it was quite a difference..) compared to the drivers who act on the light. Just another way for the lovely american goverment to try to get invovled in something they don't need to.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

If your TPMS is coming on intermittently only when it's cold out, the most likely cause is that your tires need air. Remember, tire pressure is lower when the temperature is cold, so the tire may have just enough pressure to keep the TPMS from lighting when it's warmer out but not when it's colder out. (It triggers around 24 psi, with 32 psi the recommended pressure, so if it's triggering when cold, you probably have less than the 32 psi you need even when it's not cold out.) Also remember that you should be measuring your tire pressure "cold", i.e. when the tires are in the shade outside and have not been driven on in several hours. You can have insufficient pressure if you set the pressure when the car is in a heated garage or when the car has just been driven.

I think the TPMS is great. Earlier this year one of my tires developed a sudden leak. I had no idea it was happening, since I check my pressures regularly, but the TPMS lit up on my dash, and sure enough, one of them looked like it was getting low. I had enough air in the tire to get the rest of the way home, and then I was able to get the tire repaired while it was still okay. Without the TPMS I probably would have gotten stranded somewhere inconvenient, with a tire destroyed by being driven on when flat.

TPMS
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: