Intermittent TPMS Light - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
If your TPMS is coming on intermittently only when it's cold out, the most likely cause is that your tires need air. Remember, tire pressure is lower when the temperature is cold, so the tire may have just enough pressure to keep the TPMS from lighting when it's warmer out but not when it's colder out. (It triggers around 24 psi, with 32 psi the recommended pressure, so if it's triggering when cold, you probably have less than the 32 psi you need even when it's not cold out.) Also remember that you should be measuring your tire pressure "cold", i.e. when the tires are in the shade outside and have not been driven on in several hours. You can have insufficient pressure if you set the pressure when the car is in a heated garage or when the car has just been driven.

I think the TPMS is great. Earlier this year one of my tires developed a sudden leak. I had no idea it was happening, since I check my pressures regularly, but the TPMS lit up on my dash, and sure enough, one of them looked like it was getting low. I had enough air in the tire to get the rest of the way home, and then I was able to get the tire repaired while it was still okay. Without the TPMS I probably would have gotten stranded somewhere inconvenient, with a tire destroyed by being driven on when flat.

TPMS
When my tire pressures low in a specific tire it would show me which one, now the tpms light comes on intermittently.
acuramdxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

If you have a sensor battery going dead that could cause the TPMS light to come on, however it should also indicate a no pressure tire too if it is not sending a signal. Also, I dont know what pressure you guys run in your tires, but on my X I run 40 psi all the way around, trying to get the most mpg's out of it. Also, you need to be setting your tire pressure with the tires being cold, that means you haven't driven anywhere. Or if you have been driving then you really need to "bump" up the pressure to a warm pressure instead of "cold" pressure.

You can always stop by a Discount Tire / America's Tire and they will set your pressure and scan the TPM sensors and tell you if they are working, all for free.

My thoughts.

Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

One of my SUVs would indicate which tire was low and indicate the pressure on everything but the spare. A low pressure warning would come up, not indicating which tire, if the spare was low. Not sure if Acura uses that system, but it's worth checking.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
One of my SUVs would indicate which tire was low and indicate the pressure on everything but the spare. A low pressure warning would come up, not indicating which tire, if the spare was low. Not sure if Acura uses that system, but it's worth checking.
The TPMS on my 2004 MDX shows you exactly which of the four tires is (are) low. (In the dash cluster, there's a pictogram with four little tires which can light up separately.)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well want to hear something funny/weird my battery was dying and triggered by tpms light to come on intermittently and only reason why i know this because my battery died and after i replaced it the tpms light hasnt come on since.
acuramdxman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: