01 SRS light - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

01 SRS light

My SRS light came on today. I've tried to go through some archives to see if this has been discussed before. The only thing I've found talks about DIY resetting. I assume that I first need to take it in to the dealership to see what's wrong with it. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry I put this in the wrong section. I guess I should have posted it under "general." Please forgive the newbie!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

You posted this in the proper place. Did you have any work done on the car recently which may have caused the SRS to come on? This light can come on from the air bag getting disconnected in the steering wheel to a bad seat beat buckle and anywhere in between.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately, the SRS light and associated fault codes cannot be read by check engine light type scanners. There are scanners that will read these proprietary codes, along with the HDS that Acura/Honda dealers use for troubleshooting. All of these scanners run into the thousands of dollars, (except this one, priced a bit over $500: http://www.cnautotool.com/products_1...enuid=42&id=75 ).

Those of us without a HDS (it can actually be purchased for near $8000!), are stuck with going to the dealer when faced with a SRS light. The SRS system is just to vast and complicated for the ordinary guy to figure out.
Neo ProLink iPod Adapter
Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth
highcountrymdx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can reset the SRS light.
Check this post: Need to Reset your SRS Light...DIY Instructions
MDXMAX04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

No, I haven't had any recent work done. When it came on my husband was in the passenger seat, which it's a very rare occurrence for me to have someone in that seat. I wonder if he triggered something?

Now I'll be a nervous wreck about it until I can make it to the dealership. I hope it's not a faulty seat belt. I have two small children in the second row.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Could be the OPDS. I had the same problem. Got a lot of bullS answers before Acura finally sucked it up and issued a recall. Of course that was after I'd paid for the replacement and getting it re-set a few times.

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

SRS light and OPDS replacement procedure

2001 MDX 172K miles. SRS light was on and would no longer reset and stay out when resetting manually ( shorting out the yellow connector ). I paid a local Acura/Honda independant to check it with his Honda software. Cost $92.00. The SRS trouble code was 15-3 Faulty OPDS sensor. He wanted an additional $394. to replace it. P/N 81334-S3V-305. I checked the internet for cost, $209.72. I got it discounted at the local Acura dealer for $144.04. The Acura parts guy also printed the repair procedure to replace to OPDS unit. Maybe you can get that as well.
Here's the info:
The OPDS sensor is located inside the right front seat in the left side bolster. It is approx. 2.5 X 5.00 inches. You can feel it behind the bolster. You need to remove the seat back panel, popping the seatback panel bottom out and lifting it off. This destroys the 2 plastic clips at the bottom that hold the seatback panel onto the seat. Remove the 2 broken clips. You will see where they attach to the seatback panel.Those 2 clips P/N 91566-SPO-003 at Acura dealer discount cost $3.60 each. You then lower the seatback as far as it will go and slide the seat to the rear so you can get at the bolster from the back seat. In looking at the now exposed rear of the seat, you will see a series of plastic clips that hold the seat cover onto the seat frame. The clips go over a up down metal rod. Pull the left side clips off the rod from top to bottom, releasing the left side of the seat cover. Peel back the left side of the seat cover and bolster toward the front of the car. It's a bit stiff. The OPDS has a clearish plastic cover. It comes off by pulling it out from the bottom and lift it up. The OPDS unit has one phillips screw at the top and 2 at the bottom. There are elec. connectors at the bottom. Unscrew the old unit and pull it out. Unplug the elec. connectors and plug them in the correct order into the new unit. Peel back the seatcover and bolster once again and screw in the new OPDS init. Put the clear cover back on. Reverse the procedure to put the seat back together. One note of caution ( I screwed this up ). Insert ( slide)the 2 new seatback panel clips into the 2 clip holders at the bottom of the seatback panel. When you slide the 2 clips into place, don't slide them in completely, and also, position the clip prongs horizontally ( the delaer told me this??). Then put the top of the seatback panel into the seat, move it into proper position left to right. Reach under the seatback panel with your fingers. You will feel the 2 holes in the seat frame that the clips go into. Just align the tip of each clip with the holes and press in the seatback panel. This should secure the clips. If not, once you feel the clips are in place for the holes, just give the seatback panel a bump with your hand to secure it. I was not patient enough ( my wife says ) and I got only one clip in place. I had to remove the seatback panel, broke the 2 clips and buy 2 more clips. With her help, we got it the second time. To reset the SRS system, you cannot "manually" short out Yellow SRS reset plug to get the SRS system to reset and the SRS light to go out. It requires the entire SRS system to be reset. I had to go back to the independant Acura/Honda repair guy and pay him 3/4 hour labor $62.00.] to put the car on his software and reset the SRS system so the light goes out. It now is correct YEAH. My wife is happy.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, mines been on for 6months, I put 10lbs of frozen items on the seat w/o protection.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

It stinks that you have to pay either an independant or worse the Acura dealer just to get the SRS trouble code and then to "clear" the SRS system after you do the repair. Even using an independant's Acura/Honda software it cost me about $150.00 before I bought the parts at a discount. Good to keep the economy going. This should be able to be done using any mechanic's trouble code equipment. You know that if the SRS light is on, the airbags are shut off. It was fun to fix though. Pete M
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

side air bag

my side air bag light came on yesterday,for like half hour while driving then shut off??????also it does not say which side?
bren13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

No need to go to the dealer to check SRS codes or to reset them

DIY: SRS Codes and reading them. - Club RSX Message Board

My Pics
Gigdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigdy View Post
No need to go to the dealer to check SRS codes or to reset them

DIY: SRS Codes and reading them. - Club RSX Message Board
Nice find thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well, here we are just about 1 year later after replacing the OPDS sensor ( with a 1 year Acura parts warranty) and the SRS light kept coming on once again. I manually reset it and that day or the next day it comes back on. Did this a few times, then back to the non dealer Honda/Acura repair guy. He charged me $35 to check the SRS sys with his factory software. Comes out the 15-3 fault, OPDS unit once again. Jeez, I just replaced that! Anyway, he comes up with a Honda service bulletin, sorry I don't have the number that says that a phone charger or other device plugged into the cigarette lighter port inside of the arm rest could be causing electrical interference and causing an OPDS fault in the SRS sys. We did have a phone charger plugged in there periodically. I unplugged it, and now it's about 3 weeks later still no SRS light on. I hope that the SRS light stays off. If it doesn't, I'll post any info that I come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: