Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

How to remove rear wiper arm?

36K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  max.fischer 
#1 ·
My rear wiper arm is sagging. To correct it, I was trying to remove and reinstall it so that it would look level, left to right.

I removed the plastic cover and the nut behind the cover, but felt like I was going to break something with the amount of force I was pulling. Is there a secret to remove the rear wiper arm?

#5 ·
Anybody get any more info on this yet? My rear wiper is not working anymore. I can hear the motor spin but it doesn't want to turn the arm. It does move around like it's stripped so it looks like I'm going to have to replace the whole assembly. Is there a way to remove the plastic cover on the back of a 05 without breaking it? I know once I get under that I can change the rest out.

#11 ·
Finally fixed my slightly sagging wiper.

No more manually adjusting it, just for it to slide back down.

Thanks for the diagram Marcos12.

I only had seen the diagram on how to remove the cover at the base.

I would only add after removing the cap and 10 mm nut, use a little liquid wrench on the thread (my arm wasn't going anywhere), use pliers and a rag to protect the wiper arm base, and pull up firmly.

#12 ·
That nut that's supposed to be torqued to 8.8ft/lbs feels like it was torqued to over 75lbs. Did you have a hard time getting yours off? I haven't tried again because it felt like something was going to break.

So after you lifted the wiper arm off, you simply reinstalled it in the correct position? Hopefully it will stay.

#13 ·
Yep, super easy.

tygger said:
That nut that's supposed to be torqued to 8.8ft/lbs feels like it was torqued to over 75lbs. Did you have a hard time getting yours off? I haven't tried again because it felt like something was going to break.

So after you lifted the wiper arm off, you simply reinstalled it in the correct position? Hopefully it will stay.
Just hit it with a little lithium grease or WD-40, should loosen right up, same for the arm there.

You then line up the arm to the correct sitting height, tighten bolt, put cap back on.

#14 ·
MDX_PWR said:
Yep, super easy.

Just hit it with a little lithium grease or WD-40, should loosen right up, same for the arm there.

You then line up the arm to the correct sitting height, tighten bolt, put cap back on.
Lithium grease and WD-40 are not good for loosening up items.

For that job you need PB Blaster or similar that is designed to penetrate.

G

#15 ·
ugh, the first snowfall in Oct 29th and the next morning I found the rear wiper blade/arm straight down, & it's like a wagging tail! hopefully it's not stripped... because I can spin it around 360 and hear nothing engaging :(

thanks to others who posted and the diagram really helped; i'll go out there and tackle this with confidence now :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.