taking the 06 MDX to the outer banks 4WD - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by midnightMDX
There is a button on the left side by the fogs/cruise.. VSA OFF! You can use the VTM4 lock up to 18mph.
read that other thread. it does not turn off the traction control. that is the issue with the sand !
MDXboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Maybe lowering your tire pressure could help in sand traction?? Just a thought...
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to laborlitigator Send a message via Yahoo to laborlitigator
As someone that's been to the Outer Banks many times, I would caution you on driving in the deep sand. The first time, we got stuck and had to have a monster truck pull us out.

If you have to do it, make sure you drive near the water's edge and not the deep stuff.
'02 Mesa Beige, Fender Flares, Running Boards, Mud Flaps, Moonroof Visor, Burlwood nob, "wooden" steering wheel, roof rack, all season mats, HID, painted wind deflector (self installed, oh, yeah), body side molding, 6100K superbright whites, dual IKON headrests, PS2, Blitzsafe CD adapter

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
laborlitigator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by laborlitigator
As someone that's been to the Outer Banks many times, I would caution you on driving in the deep sand. The first time, we got stuck and had to have a monster truck pull us out.

If you have to do it, make sure you drive near the water's edge and not the deep stuff.
i am not trying to be rude but i too have been to OBX many times. driving on the hard pack is often not an option with the tides and the tourists on the beach. i have never had trouble in a 4wd truck. when i bought my MDX i was assured by everyone at acura i would have no trouble in the sand with my expensive new MDX. i trusted them for no good reason other than i had been happy with acura in the past...why would they lie ?(my wife drives an 09TL) i now find out the MDX is not so good in sand !
Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to laborlitigator Send a message via Yahoo to laborlitigator
I can only relate my past experience. We got stuck with an 02 MDX in the deep stuff.
'02 Mesa Beige, Fender Flares, Running Boards, Mud Flaps, Moonroof Visor, Burlwood nob, "wooden" steering wheel, roof rack, all season mats, HID, painted wind deflector (self installed, oh, yeah), body side molding, 6100K superbright whites, dual IKON headrests, PS2, Blitzsafe CD adapter

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MDXboy

i am not trying to be rude but i too have been to OBX many times. driving on the hard pack is often not an option with the tides and the tourists on the beach. i have never had trouble in a 4wd truck. when i bought my MDX i was assured by everyone at acura i would have no trouble in the sand with my expensive new MDX. i trusted them for no good reason other than i had been happy with acura in the past...why would they lie ?(my wife drives an 09TL) i now find out the MDX is not so good in sand !
The Acura people may not deliverately lie to you, they just may not know any better. How many of the ones that you talked to had ever driven an MDX along the Outer Banks (OBX)?

There are tow truck operators along the eastern shore of North Carolina that make their living off of tourists.

G
Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by G. COLTON

The Acura people may not deliverately lie to you, they just may not know any better. How many of the ones that you talked to had ever driven an MDX along the Outer Banks (OBX)?

There are tow truck operators along the eastern shore of North Carolina that make their living off of tourists.

G
The guys in the service area unanimously agreed I would have no trouble (they get lots of inquiry on this) and one stated that he had been there before but got stuck in his big tire truck because he didnt air down. I dont think I can trust their opinion.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

If you do want to drive on the deep stuff don't slow down. That was my problem. I probably would not have gotten stuck if I didn't slow down.

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Link below has an interesting discussion on the MDX off road design performance objectives. Can’t vouch for its truth but much sounds like it came from Honda.

It would be tough to get a guarantee that it won’t get stuck. Too many variables and as stated above, technique is a big one. Sand in all its varieties would be tough to simulate.

I’ve done regular 4X4 off roading and believe a universal killer is wheel spin. In any low traction condition once you start digging in, it’s almost impossible to dig out.

From what I understand of this traction control system, it may have a slight advantage over hard geared 4WD in the sand situation. As the drive is modulated amongst the wheels, it may delay onset of all 4 wheels spinning at the same time where a regular truck will just dig 4 holes.

On the other hand, a truck has really big tires where an MDX not so.

Any off roading is a calculated risk.

The list of test courses includes:

•30-degree dirt hill
•Sand hill
•Water pit
•Rock roads
•Embedded log course
•Step-up, step-down
•Sand drag strip
•Gully course
•Ground contact course
•Washboard road
•Frame twister
•Power hop hill (23-degree slope with rippled surface)
•Gravel road
•Startable grade

http://www.netcarshow.com/acura/2005-mdx/
SBM MDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tips directly from the Outer Banks.

http://www.outer-banks.nc.us/newsinfo/randr.htm

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

We're actually there right now. Brought the X5 rather than the MDX this time.

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
edh

Quote:

The guys in the service area unanimously agreed I would have no trouble (they get lots of inquiry on this) and one stated that he had been there before but got stuck in his big tire truck because he didnt air down. I dont think I can trust their opinion.
I don't know if you can trust anyone's opinion totally. They don't know how you drive. People get stuck in the snow all the time too. Doesn't always mean the car isn't capable of driving in the snow.
edh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #28 (permalink)

Re: taking the 06 MDX to the outer banks 4WD

Quote:
I am getting conflicting info on how my MDX will perform in deep sand. I was hoping someone here can give me first hand advice/experience taking an 06 out to the beach. I have experience driving in sand with a true 4WD truck. many have told me AWD will not do well in the sand. the dealer and techs have told me it should do fine. i am unsure if i should use the traction lock or take any other precautions ahead of time. if you are familiar with the outer banks you know that the first few hundred yards can be real hairy when driving in to the house with a loaded truck and small kids/pets inside ! all is fine till you get to the house and then you have to cross the dunes again. this is usually 12inch deep very soft sand ruts.

please advise....

Its all about tire pressure. Check out the twiddy.com site, and they will have a few videos on beach driving tips, and how to get out of sand if you get stuck.

We had a house on the beach, and followed their recommendations on lowering tire pressure to under 20 psi and had no issues. It was a pain to go back and forth with the tire pressure, but better than getting stuck. Good Luck.
mklsim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Our X at the Outerbanks
Attached Thumbnails
taking the 06 MDX to the outer banks 4WD-6251_1171096514259_1133378099_509667_7427746_n.jpg  

BMW X5 4.4
BMW M3 CiC
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #30 (permalink)

Nice pic labor. I wish I can do that type of driving in the San Francisco area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: