Fuel fill problem on 2004 MDX. Any help would be appreciated. - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DocWalk20 Send a message via Yahoo to DocWalk20
Fuel fill problem on 2004 MDX. Any help would be appreciated.

Our 2004 MDX is now up to ~89K miles. About 6 months ago it started giving us an intermittent problem when filling the fuel tank.

When filling the tank the automatic shutoff on the pump will suddenly be activated and gas will come pouring back out the filler spilling all over the place. When this happens the tank is nowhere near full and usually occurs after only putting in less than a gallon of fuel. If I try to just squeeze the pump handle again it will do the same thing repeatedly. If I squeeze the handle very slowly so that the fuel is barely coming out of the pump I can trickle in fuel without the pump shutting off or gas spitting back out of the filler neck at me.

This has happened probably 10 times in the last 6 months or so. Every other time the tank fills up fine like it should with the automatic shut off on the pump shutting off when the tank is full and no fuel spits back out.

We've had it to the dealer 3 times now. The first time they replaced the fuel filler neck and another time they replaced a valve of some sort. At the moment I don't recall what they did the third time as I don't have the paperwork in front of me.

When we took it in the last time they basically said something along the lines of if this doesn't fix it, we're really not sure what will. Needless to say within 2 weeks of that last trip to the shop, it did it again.

Now we're not really sure what to do with it. Anyone else experience something similar? For your sake I hope not, but if you did and it was able to be fixed I'd appreciate the information.

Also, it's happened at 4 different gas stations, to both my wife and me, and we even had the station attendant at one place try when we thought it might be a problem with the pump and it did the same thing to him.

It seems like it may happen more often when it's colder outside (though it's filled just fine in sub zero temps too) and when the tank is less than half full. I don't think it's ever happened when I've topped off the tank and it's been more than half full.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I've not had gas spilling out when this happens but occasionally the auto shutoff on the pump kicks in when the tank is no where near full. If it happens repeatedly, I just back the gas nozzle out a bit and try again. Usually it will fill up fine after that. This happens very sporadically and on just about every vehicle I have owned.

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

I havent had an issue nor heard of this one. This is a pretty dangerous situation with the fuel spilling out. I hope they can find a solution.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

After searching a bit, I found something about a fuel sending unit going bad. Not sure if this is related.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...?threadid=8945
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DocWalk20 Send a message via Yahoo to DocWalk20
Quote:
Originally posted by midnightMDX
After searching a bit, I found something about a fuel sending unit going bad. Not sure if this is related.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...?threadid=8945
Thanks for digging around, midnight. I did searches on every different way I could think to search and wasn't coming up with anything.

Doesn't sound like the exact same thing, but definitely worth keeping in mind.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The search isnt perfect. At the top of page, you can click on Archives and dig through the listings. I only tried it for a little bit, you may have better luck there the way that its setup.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm running into the same situation with my 2006 MDX. Have you figured out the cause at all?
jmeisbre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ughh! I have an '04 with 70k miles and it's just started this, too!!! Did you ever find out what the cause was? I'm in the exact same boat you described. Some tanks fill fine, others are a test of my sanity, clicking off every few seconds. And yes, I too have tried different stations, filling angles, etc.

Please tell me you found a simple answer?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiMDX View Post
Ughh! I have an '04 with 70k miles and it's just started this, too!!! Did you ever find out what the cause was? I'm in the exact same boat you described. Some tanks fill fine, others are a test of my sanity, clicking off every few seconds. And yes, I too have tried different stations, filling angles, etc.

Please tell me you found a simple answer?
Hopefully you're dealer will realize that there is a defect with tanks of 04 - 06 models (I believe there's an official Honda/Acura service note about faulty tanks) and will replace it free of charge like my dealer did. Once they replaced the tank, I've not had any other issues. Convincing them that it was happening in the first place was the difficult part. I had to take a service rep to a gas station and show him the gasoline geyser just so he'd believe me.

Last edited by jmeisbre; 06-29-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Expanded information
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeisbre View Post
Hopefully you're dealer will realize that there is a defect with tanks of 04 - 06 models (I believe there's an official Honda/Acura service note about faulty tanks) and will replace it free of charge like my dealer did. Once they replaced the tank, I've not had any other issues. Convincing them that it was happening in the first place was the difficult part. I had to take a service rep to a gas station and show him the gasoline geyser just so he'd believe me.
Thank you jmeisbre....making an appt now to see what the say. Will update thread afterwards....

Best regards!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeisbre View Post
Hopefully you're dealer will realize that there is a defect with tanks of 04 - 06 models (I believe there's an official Honda/Acura service note about faulty tanks)
I havent heard of that many complaining about this issue. Wonder if there is a technical bulletin on this.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
I havent heard of that many complaining about this issue. Wonder if there is a technical bulletin on this.
I hope I can find something. Dealer (Honda...Acura dealer went out of business) can't get me in for a week or two. It's now a constant problem. Spent 10 minutes at the station this morning and ended up with about 4 gallons in the tank, though paid for those 4 plus the 3 on the ground. Interesting note....the dash guage doesn't match the nav screen gauge: on the way to the station my fuel gauge said I had a quarter of a tank, but the distance/range meter indicated I was 7 miles from empty. Not sure which one to trust... Going to buy a plastic tank tonight and see if I can fill things that way: 5 gallons in the plastic tank, then pour it into the car thereby passing up whatever is signalling the shutoff valve. Maybe? Fingers crossed....thanks for the comments and the forum...it's always a help.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is an interesting one. The only thing I can logically think of is something physically blocking the passage causing the fuel to not enter as quick as the pump is pumping, but you said the dealer looked at it and also replaced the neck.

Have you tried pumping at half throttle?

Anyone know if the MDX tank has a ventilation of some sort? If so, the ventilation could be clogged causing back pressure.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightMDX View Post
Yes, there should be; at least that's what my service rep told me. They said they found one technical bulletin on faulty tanks, filed my warranty issue under that, and now I'm gas-geyser free. Hopefully others are able to take this same approach.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am having the same issue with my 04 mdx. I have had it to the dealer many times.

I started this thread-if you want more info on it:

04 mdx-Can't put gas in gas tank

Is there a way to find that TSB so I can tell them about it???

Any help would be so appreciate-thanks soooo much1
utahtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: