Navigation Problem: Disc Reading Error - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Navigation Problem: Disc Reading Error

I just bought a 2005 MDX. I get an error message during cold starts (first thing every morning and after the car has been off for several hours):

DVD Disc reading error
please consult your dealer.

After it has been driven for several minutes, if you were to turn off the car and then turn it back on, the system usually works fine. But this is a real nuisance if you want to use the navigation feature.

Any suggestions?
pfardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

try this...

take the disc out and wipe it off. Might be a little dirt, who knows. Is there a warranty? If so, and cleaning doesn't help, take it in under the warranty. If you have to spend money you might also try turning the ignition on and let it cycle to the warning, then off then on again and see if it doesn't work OKeh. I had the same problem once on my '03 but after removing and cleaning the disc and putting it back in I never had a problem again. Let us know how it goes...
ROTORRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would be surprised if the disc were dirty, but that is an easy thing to try. The disc is housed in a closed drive so more than likely it is pristine. I have the same problem with our 2004, however, that occurs and random times and not just when starting out. I believe a more likely cause is the drive itself. Likely the drive is starting to fail, but it does seem like a very slow death. This has been going on for over a year for us but isn't bad enough for me to change out the drive. However, the problem has only gotten worse (albeit slowly) so eventually I expect the drive to simply die.
2009 Honda Rebel
ScottS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Drive problem?

Disc drive failure has been discussed previously on this site. It's a VERY expensive drive, according to Acura, but what else is new. You might start checking junk yards just in case and if you can get a spare go for it. I believe someone said Acura wanted $1K or more for it. Someone also recommended going to the manufacturer (Pioneer?) and seeing about getting a new one or having the failed one serviced but there was never any follow up posted on how this worked out. Keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Drive problem?

Disc drive failure has been discussed previously on this site. It's a VERY expensive drive, according to Acura, but what else is new. You might start checking junk yards just in case and if you can get a spare go for it. I believe someone said Acura wanted $1K or more for it. Someone also recommended going to the manufacturer (Pioneer?) and seeing about getting a new one or having the failed one serviced but there was never any follow up posted on how this worked out. Keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I followed another thread on this subject (or very similar) that suggested that Alpine is the manufacturer and that they may offer service for these units.
I am bringing the car into the dealership on Thursday so perhaps I'll see what they say. Although they did warn me about how expensive these things are. At the same time, they made mention of some sort of "exchange" option which I interpreted as switching out for a reconditioned one. I'll report back later this week.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Something new...

You're the first to mention an exchange from a dealer. Please keep us posted on this as I'm sure many will be interested. Personally, because of the costs involved with repairing problems on factory units, in the future I'll be opting for aftermarket. I have a NUVI which I can use in my other cars, easily updateable (for less than the cost of the Acura disc), runs faster than the Acura unit, and does a lot more (calculator, bluetooth, money exchange rates, on and on). You might consider this option in the future.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

report from dealer

Well, I visited the dealer. I lecft the vehicle with them overnight so they could experience the cold start symptooms in the morning. The system behaved for them as it did for me with the disc reading error message. They tried a few different discs and eventually - once the car was warmed up the system started functioing normally.

They showed me an exceprt from the repair manual they reference that suggested that it was not uncommon - even normal for problems like this to occur during copld starts. So their conclusion was "it's normal", which is a tad frustrating.

They chalk it up to likely condensation on the disc and lens that dries up once the car is warm. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and it's the middle of winter here. I told them I'd likely wait and see if the problem continues through the spring and summer. They suspect it will clear up durign the warmer months.

This is a bit of a nuisance because it sounds like I'll have to put up with the problem - best case - about 5 months per year. I'm not convinced with the explanation so I may explore other options.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: