My MDX rpm drop loss power while driving - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question My MDX rpm drop loss power while driving

OK, I am not sure how to describe this problem. I am also not sure if it is a problem. I notice this symptom since forever, but I had never been able to zero down what I was experiencing until lately

Here it goes:
I live in VA and the roads are somewhat hilly. As I drive my MDX at any cruising speed, some times (hard to reproduce at will) I felt the car lost power as it goes up and down hilly roads and I could feel a subtle vibration from gas paddle which made me to accelerate more. But, at that time I had to push the paddle hard to rev up so the car gains power. Furthermore, at that point I notice the car rpm drop to about 1000 rpm and the car slows down.

I have other automatic cars, but I don't experience this symptom with them which made me believe that this is a 'problem'.

Since the car is still under warranty (ends this year 2009), I brought it to the dealer and had a hard time to explain it. Of course, the dealer said that they don't see any problem.

Has any one experience this problem?

Thanks!
Bimerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

At what speed is this happening? You said you been experiencing this forever, so how long exactly? It could be engine related or trans related. But being that you seem use to it, I would think its probably normal. Maybe with the hills its the tranny deciding to shift or maybe not shifting. Its gonna be real hard for us diagnose it without more specifics.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by midnightMDX
At what speed is this happening? You said you been experiencing this forever, so how long exactly? It could be engine related or trans related. But being that you seem use to it, I would think its probably normal. Maybe with the hills its the tranny deciding to shift or maybe not shifting. Its gonna be real hard for us diagnose it without more specifics.
It happens at any speed above 10 mph (since I have never cruised at 10 mph or below). I often notice this when I was cruising at a speed (e.g. 45 mph) for about 3-5 minutes (mostly in the high ways). Then, I noticed the vibration and it seemed the car had no power. At that point I also noticed the rpm was at about 1000 rpm. So, I gave the accelerator peddle a push, but the engine didn't rev up instantly. I had to give about 1/2 push before it revved up. The hard part is to reproduce the symptom to a dealer since it happens intermittently.

No, I am not use to it. At first, I just could not figure out what was the problem. I thought it was normal, because it was a brand new car. But, the more I notice the more I think it is not normal.

Another may be un-related symptom is that as I decelerate the car by breaking, the car shifted its gear down very noticeably. It is like some one suddenly down gear a moving car. I also think this is not normal.

Bimerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: