Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/)
-   2001 - 2006 Acura MDX (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001-2006-acura-mdx/)
-   -   2009 (Fall 2008) navigation DVD updates are here! (http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-2001-2006-acura-mdx/34517-2009-fall-2008-navigation-dvd-updates-here.html)

pianoman41 11-11-2008 09:04 PM

2009 (Fall 2008) navigation DVD updates are here!

The 2009 update (Fall 2008) for the navigation system is now available.

For the 2001-2002 MDXs (black label disc):

v2.50 (old):
-Database: 02.0603.11.041007.1404.01.00.00.02
-Software: 02.11.31

v2.60 (new):
-Database: 02.0703.14.060908.1405.01.00.00.02
-Software: 02.11.32

The bolded number represents the date the POI/Map database was finalized, so v2.50 is from 04/10/07 and v2.60 is from 06/09/08. Hopefully that will help you decide if the update is worth it in your area.

The software update is obviously very minor, if any. I didn't see any differences, and it might just be an incremental version because it is a new disc.

Changes in the map and POI databases from version 2.50 to 2.60 are listed below:

US map coverage was expanded to include the following areas

Arizona
-Yuma

California
-Central Valley - including Fresno, Merced, Modesto and Stockton
-Humboldt
-Mammoth Lakes

Florida
-Panama City

Illinois
-Carbondale
-Galesburg
-Urbana-Danville

Indiana
-Bloomington
-Muncie

Iowa
-Waterloo-Cedar Falls

Mississippi
-Memphis
-Tupelo

Montana
-Missoula

New Hampshire
-Lebanon

New Mexico
-Las Cruces

Ohio
-Lima
-Springfield

Pennsylvania
-Southwest Pennsylvania – including Pittsburgh and Washington County

Texas
-Amarillo
-Beaumont
-Nacogdoches-Lufkin
-Texarkana
-Wichita Falls

Utah
-St. George

Vermount
-Rutland

Virginia
-Emporia
-Staunton - Waynesboro - Harrisonburg

Wisconsin
-Eau Claire
-La Crosse

This update is available directly through www.acuranavi.com for $149 (normally $185, this is on sale through 01/31/09)

jeme 11-11-2008 09:27 PM

I have an 07 Tech and Ent and the only update I see on the page is for version 4.64? Am I missing something?

jeme 11-11-2008 09:30 PM

Sorry - I see this was for the 2002 model MDX - sorry!

steve-0101 11-12-2008 07:57 PM

Arghh... nothing yet for the '04!!

Sinecure 11-12-2008 08:30 PM

If anyone on here buys the new 2.6 upgrade and wants to sell me their 2.5 disk cheap, I'd be interested. I'm still on 2.11c and its kind of buggy/slow. Also willing to trade for a nice wheel you could use for a FSS.

werehouse 11-13-2008 01:48 PM

I have an '02 MDX and decided to order the updated Navigation DVD when I saw that the price had dropped to $149.

I just popped it in last night and it works just fine. I have also noticed some upgrades/changes to the font/lettering on the Navi screen (e.g. the outside temperature display is now in Bold letters where it wasn't with the original Navigation DVD).

It's nice to have updated street names and everything--I had been using the original 2002 DVD since I bought this 1 1/2 years ago!

aip00 12-10-2008 09:18 AM

Could anyone post pictures of what the latest update look like? I have a 2002 MDX with Navi.

pianoman41 12-22-2008 04:47 PM

For the '05-'08 MDXs (white disc) version info:

v4.6X (old):
-Database: 4.62A (03/17/07)
-Software: 1.64.00

v4.73A (new):
-Database: 4.73A (I think 05/10/08)
-Software: 1.82.01

Alpine has changed the database version from the date the map data was finalized (as it was on earlier versions) to just the update version. However, by looking at the contents of the disc, I believe the map data was finalized on 05/10/08.

The software update is obviously very minor, if any. I didn't see any differences, and it might just be an incremental version because it is a new disc.

Changes from version 4.62X to 4.73A:

Arizona
-Yuma

California
-Central Valley - including Fresno, Merced, Modesto and Stockton
-Humboldt
-Mammoth Lakes

Florida
-Panama City

Hawaii (all cities for the following islands)
-Hawaii
-Honolulu
-Kauai
-Lanai
-Maui
-Molokai

Illinois
-Carbondale
-Galesburg
-Urbana-Danville

Indiana
-Bloomington
-Muncie

Iowa
-Waterloo-Cedar Falls

Mississippi
-Memphis
-Tupelo

Montana
-Missoula

New Hampshire
-Lebanon

New Mexico
-Las Cruces

Ohio
-Lima
-Springfield

Pennsylvania
-Southwest Pennsylvania – including Pittsburgh and Washington County

Texas
-Amarillo
-Beaumont
-Nacogdoches-Lufkin
-Texarkana
-Wichita Falls

Utah
-St. George

Vermount
-Rutland

Virginia
-Emporia
-Staunton - Waynesboro - Harrisonburg

Wisconsin
-Eau Claire
-La Crosse

Canada Detailed Coverage Areas
NOTE: The blue colored city names are not included in the USA South DVD. To obtain coverage for cities listed in blue, you may purchase the Canada DVD. DVDs are not available at your dealer.

ALBERTA
-Beaumont
-Calmar
-Devon
-Fort Saskatchewan
-Leduc
-Spruce Grove
-St Albert
-Stony Plain
-Strathcona County

Squamish-Lillooet
-Squamish
-Whistler

Thompson Nicola
-Kamloops

Central Okanagan
-Kelowna
-Peachland

Okanagan - Similkameen
-Penticton
-Summerland

Frontenanc
-Frontenac Islands

Gatineau
-Gatineau

Muskoka
-Bracebridge
-Georgian Bay
-Gravenhurst
-Huntsville
-Lake of Bays
-Muskoka Lakes

Middesex
-London

Ottawa
-Ottawa

Perth
-Stratford

Simcoe
-Adjala-Tosorontio
-Barrie
-Clearview
-Collingwood
-Essa
-Innisfil
-Midland
-New Tecumseth
-Orillia
-Oro-Medonte
-Penetanguishene
-Ramara
-Severn
-Springwater
-Tay
-Tiny
-Wasaga Beach

Quebec

Montreal-Laurentians

La Riviere-du-Nord
-Prévost
-St-Colomban
-St-Hippolyte
-St-Jérôme
-Ste-Sophie

Les Laurentides
-Amherst
-Arundel
-Barkmere
-Brébeuf
-Huberdeau
-La Conception
-La Minerve
-Labelle
-Lac-Supérieur
-Lantier
-Mont-Tremblant
-Montcalm
-St-Faustin – Lac-Carré
-Ste-Agathe-des-Monts
-Ste-Lucie-des-Laurentides
-Val-David
-Val-des-Lacs
-Val-Morin

Les Pays-d’en-Haut
-Lac-des-Seize-Îles
-Morin-Heights
-Piedmont
-St-Adolphe-d’Howard
-St-Sauveur
-Ste-Adele
-Ste-Anne-des-Lacs
-Ste-Marguerite-Estérel
-Wentworth-Nord

Mirabel
-Mirabel

Quebec

La Cote-de-Beaupre
-Beaupre
-Boischatel
-Chateau-Richer
-L’Ange-Gardien
-St-Ferreol-les-Neiges
-St-Joachim
-St-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente
-Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre

La Jacques-Cartier
-Fossambault-sur-le-Lac
-Lac-Beauport
-Lac-Delage
-Lac-St-Joseph
-Ste-Brigitte-de-Laval
-Ste-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier
-Shannon

L’Ile-D’Orleans
-St-Francois
-St-Jean
-St-Laurent-de-L’Ile-d’Oreleans
-St-Pierre-de-L’Ile-d’Orleans
-Ste-Famille
-Ste-Petronille

Levis
-Levis

Quebec
-Québec

pianoman41 12-22-2008 04:54 PM

What's really unusual about this update is they sent a patch disc along with it as well. If you have an '05 RL or MDX (or an '05 Honda Odyssey or '06 Honda Ridgeline) with a white label disc version 4.20 or older, you need to run the patch disc before installing the disc for the first time.

I'm not sure what bug they found/fixed, but it looks like as long as you currently have version 4.31 or newer then this patch doesn't apply, regardless of what vehicle you have.

02MDXer 01-01-2009 09:47 PM

My '02 MDX has the original rev software. I'm sure it was primo for it's time.
My wife has rev '08 Garmin GPS. After using the Garmin, the nav system in the MDX seems way inferior. The Garmin speaks the street names and is much more clear and has a better street database. Even if I upgrade the streets, the MDX nav sounds like a 10 year old girl.
My question is: If I upgrade the MDX to the 2.6 rev, does it give any upgrade options/improvments for the interface & voice?

pianoman41 01-01-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 02MDXer
My '02 MDX has the original rev software. I'm sure it was primo for it's time.
My wife has rev '08 Garmin GPS. After using the Garmin, the nav system in the MDX seems way inferior. The Garmin speaks the street names and is much more clear and has a better street database. Even if I upgrade the streets, the MDX nav sounds like a 10 year old girl.
My question is: If I upgrade the MDX to the 2.6 rev, does it give any upgrade options/improvments for the interface & voice?

If you have an original disc (v2.05 or earlier) then you will see a change in the voice (no longer Asian female, now a Western Hemisphere female) and a VASTLY improved coverage area. But the display, graphics and functionality is pretty much the same. The navi will still not speak the street names (that technology didn't exist when that navi system was designed).

02MDXer 01-01-2009 11:06 PM

Thank you pianoman41.
I think I will go ahead with the update.
I'm a bit spoiled with the Garmin GPS, but if the MDX has adequate coverage, I should have no problems getting where I need to go.

Bellevue22 01-19-2009 10:06 PM

Are there any other ways to find these DVDs at a lower price? They ever on eBay, Craigslist or an online vendor - something less than $149!

Doing a search for 'Acura, MDX, 2006, DVD' obviously will result in vehicles and the DVD media might be a little tougher to search for.

Just checking to see if there is another market for these! I would like to upgrade but can wait another version or two at that price!

steve-0101 01-20-2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bellevue22
Are there any other ways to find these DVDs at a lower price? They ever on eBay, Craigslist or an online vendor - something less than $149!

Doing a search for 'Acura, MDX, 2006, DVD' obviously will result in vehicles and the DVD media might be a little tougher to search for.

Just checking to see if there is another market for these! I would like to upgrade but can wait another version or two at that price!

As the new update makes its way out there you'll likely see some older discs make it to market. I've seen them come up on ebay, but usually only ones that are a couple years old, and even then they yield a pretty hefty price.

Only legit way to buy new is directly through Alpine.

Linneaus 01-20-2009 06:26 PM

Soon after getting our 2004 a few years ago, my wife and I visited Savannah, GA. It was incredibly nice to go from one point to the next and then choose any point from previous destinations list to get from where we were back to point "x". Because of this and all the additional info that is available using the Nav, there is no question that for such visits the Acura Nav is great to have, not only while there but while on the way. But taking trips is an exception for us. Often we need to use the address option to find where someone lives in our general area, which is quite rural- well okay, extremely rural. This is where I find the primary failing of the nav system in that it will send us 20 minutes out of the way for a 15 minute trip because so many of the roads aren't used when calculating the route. The good thing is that close to home, once I see the location on the map, I know how to get there. I believe that other nav systems are probably no better in this respect. We gave our son and his wife a mid priced Garmin Nuvi for Christmas and used it along with our nav on a trip from FL back to SC. While I prefer the Acura nav over the portable Garmin for several reasons, I was impressed with the directions and ETA for various points using the Garmin. I waited until late 2007 to update, thinking that a lot of additional roads would be digitized but was disappointed to find they weren't. So for getting around in cities, the nav is hard to beat, but it's quite disappointing when we want to get from point A to B in a rural area that we are not familiar with. Do others find this to be the case?