changing my transmission oil - Page 3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)

Did the tranny fluid drain and fill... Used the end of a turkey baster and a funnel I got at AutoZone. The funnel had a long tube, fluid measuring cup and a shutoff valve. Worked really good but be patient to avoid messes.

Never done before. I missed the 45,000 mile. It has close to 74K now so I did 2x. Drained, filled and drove on all gears and reverse. Even coasted down the road in neutral. Drained, filled and drove for a bit. Noticeable change in shifting(lots smoother). Will do another with the next oil change. To be honest, the fluid looked good on the first drain. Again, this has made me a true believer in Honda fluids. Would not put anything else in it. Next, coolant flush.
jam-bro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #32 (permalink)

First off, thank you so much to everyone who contributed here. I recently got a 2003 MDX and performed a triple drain and fill thanks to the help of this thread.

While figuring put how to fill the tranny fluid, I found another cheap solution to filling through the dipstick line. Buy a generic condiment bottle (like the refillable ketchup squeeze bottles), prefferably a clear one, snip the spout a little bit, so that it will flow a little faster into the line, then cut off the bottom of the bottle. Then put the spout into the line, and then put a funnel into the now open bottom of the bottle. This bottle is see through, so you can see the atf going down, and it only costs $1 at Walmart. An easy and cheap solution to buying a specialized funnel.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #33 (permalink)

Add a little ketchup to it and you have your pinkish hue on the tranny fluid.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDX_Lee View Post
First off, thank you so much to everyone who contributed here. I recently got a 2003 MDX and performed a triple drain and fill thanks to the help of this thread.

While figuring put how to fill the tranny fluid, I found another cheap solution to filling through the dipstick line. Buy a generic condiment bottle (like the refillable ketchup squeeze bottles), prefferably a clear one, snip the spout a little bit, so that it will flow a little faster into the line, then cut off the bottom of the bottle. Then put the spout into the line, and then put a funnel into the now open bottom of the bottle. This bottle is see through, so you can see the atf going down, and it only costs $1 at Walmart. An easy and cheap solution to buying a specialized funnel.
Nice tip. Will have to try this next time.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #35 (permalink)

IMHO once you pop that transmission fill bolt, that to me is the easiest way to fill the tranny oil. It is a b**** the first time though. I had to use a breaker bar
jasguild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
gup

I am gonna be trying this on a 2010 mdx and had some questions.

1. Do you guys jack up the car for this?

2. Where is the location of the drain plug in 2010 mdx?

3. Is a torque wrench necessary to close the bolts or is there any way to approximate proper force?
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Not sure why people resort to sucking the old fluid out.... weird...

Drain and refill on 2001-2006 MDX is one of the easiest things on the planet. Simply locate that big refill bolt, use a few extensions and a breaker bar to undo the bolt (located on top of the tranny, close to driver's side firewall).

Drain the fluid from the bottom, just like your engine oil. Refill using a looooong skinny funnel.

No jacking the car up necessary. One drain and refill takes me about 5 minutes nowadays.

The ONLY non standard tools you might need is several long extensions (I use 1/2" drive to add extra torque for undoing the fill bolt) and a super long funnel (the one I use is about a foot and a half). Both available at any auto store. YES, the fill bolt is really tight on there. You need a lot of force, but with proper extensions, big drive and breaker bar, it is doable.
yogi799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
gup

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Not sure why people resort to sucking the old fluid out.... weird...

Drain and refill on 2001-2006 MDX is one of the easiest things on the planet. Simply locate that big refill bolt, use a few extensions and a breaker bar to undo the bolt (located on top of the tranny, close to driver's side firewall).

Drain the fluid from the bottom, just like your engine oil. Refill using a looooong skinny funnel.

No jacking the car up necessary. One drain and refill takes me about 5 minutes nowadays.

The ONLY non standard tools you might need is several long extensions (I use 1/2" drive to add extra torque for undoing the fill bolt) and a super long funnel (the one I use is about a foot and a half). Both available at any auto store. YES, the fill bolt is really tight on there. You need a lot of force, but with proper extensions, big drive and breaker bar, it is doable.
Thanks.

Do u know where the drain plug is on a 2010? Pics or something? Best accessed from front, rear or side of truck?

Do u use a torque wrench?
gup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gup View Post
Thanks.

Do u know where the drain plug is on a 2010? Pics or something? Best accessed from front, rear or side of truck?

Do u use a torque wrench?
you are in the 2001 - 2005 MDX forum. I only dream about 2010 MDx and have no idea where the drain plug is located.
jasguild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
On 2001 and 2002 models, the "big refill bolt" does not work if the transmission mod was done which routed the new lubrication hose into it. I use a homemade funnel that does are fairly decent job.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

Anyone know how to tell if the tranny has been replaced? I looked but can't tell.
88' Volvo 240 - 445,000 mi.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Anyone know how to tell if the tranny has been replaced? I looked but can't tell.
What year? I'm not positive, but I think the 2002 will not have the oil jet kit in the fill hole if it has been done.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

its an 02, the car has 130,000 on it and the tranny seems pretty solid. It had the recall done, I just wasn't sure if it was the original transmission.
88' Volvo 240 - 445,000 mi.
07' Civic Si - Sold
02' Black MDX (totaled by a deer in PA)
Susquehanna University Alumni
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDX_Lee View Post

Thanks! This worked perfect for me today.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Anyone have a pic of the fill hole?
I see a few bolts..i want to loosen the correct one.
imncrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: