Rear Defroster Button Backlight - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the additional link midnightMDX...

Well, got it done. I used a small putty knife, in between thin plastic cards (for some protection) to wedge it out. Replaced both bulbs.

I did lose one of the clips in the process, didn't see it anywhere, so I decided to put it back together minus one clip.

Bryan
bnesti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by bnesti
Thanks for the additional link midnightMDX...

Well, got it done. I used a small putty knife, in between thin plastic cards (for some protection) to wedge it out. Replaced both bulbs.

I did lose one of the clips in the process, didn't see it anywhere, so I decided to put it back together minus one clip.

Bryan
Glad it worked out.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

i recently change the bulb you were talking about, it took about roughly 5 minute to change it, after you hook the thing out unplug all the wires, then use a screw driver and turn 45 degree to unscrew it out, then do the same for the new bulb. then ur all set and done!
koolleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just ordered the bulbs. I'll be installing them next week along with my new blower motor. I'll try to take some pics and make a tutorial.

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Chopper Challenge Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinecure
I just ordered the bulbs. I'll be installing them next week along with my new blower motor. I'll try to take some pics and make a tutorial.
That would be cool. I'd love to that add that to the FAQ.
midnightMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #21 (permalink)

I just pulled apart the center trim on my '05 because my wife was complaining that the backlight for the hazard indicator wasn't working any more. Well, I got that bulb, pulled off the trim (very easy thanks to the coat hanger trick--BTW I actually pulled *gently* but firmly on one of the upper vertical vent slats in the center and the clips popped right off) popped out the switch and replaced the bulb.

But when I reassembled and checked it I noticed that now the right four HVAC buttons are now out (Rear Manual A/C, Rear Defrost, Red Up Arrow, Blue Down Arrow) so I assume that's the one bulb #4 on the diagram? Looks like I'll be disassembling this again.
Also, for the passenger airbag indicator, the "Off" light does light up as expected when it is deactivated but are the 'Passenger Airbag' words normally backlit with the rest of the buttons? On this page http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no it looks like #16 but I can't tell if that's the bulb for the backlight (if there is one) or if that's the bulb that lights up the OFF icon when the airbag is deactivated.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

I finally got around to doing this repair. It took me two takes since I'm an idiot and I tried to replace the bulbs without removing the three control interfaces. Instead I thought I could do it while it was still wired up (as in photo below).

So here are the steps. Removing the Plood was way easier than I expected. I used the coathangar method. The only thing to be careful of is that it pulls out evenly. It snagged a little next to where the CD slot is.

Just insert the hangar in the top of the vent tab with the short end facing up. Find the back of the frame and tug gently.

Next up is an important step that I tried to bypass. Remove the three clips from the back of the Plood (for those reading and wondering as I once did, Plood = Plastic+Wood, not some exotic term for a car part). One is attached to the back of the Hazard switch. One goes to the Interior light switch (once removed, your inside lights will not work until you reconnect) and the third goes to the HVAC controls pictured below.

Unlike some of the connectors in the MDX, these are easy to disconnect with your fingers.

Once you have it all taken apart, the last part is pretty easy. Find a flat-head screwdriver to remove the three bulbs. They turn a 1/4 or so counter-clockwise to remove them. Then just hold your hand under them and turn the thing over - they should fall out into your hand.

Here are the parts you'll need. If you are going to do all three lights, you'll need two of the parts on the right and one of the bulbs on the left. The green plug on the top in the image above is the tiny one and came from the bag on the left. The two gray ones are longer (about 1").

You need two of the bulb on the right and one of the bulb on the left. Part numbers should be legible. About $5ea.

Careful, the small ones are very easy to drop. This was my problem. I'd tried to replace w/out disconnecting the wire harnesses as i just described. I dropped the tiny bulb never to find it again. I have no idea where it went. I looked for 1/2 hour. $@#%^ Back to the dealer to order another one and wait for it to come in. They cost ~$5ea so it didn't break the bank, but it sure pissed me off.

Another suggestion - find a screwdriver that fits well into the slot in the back of the bulb. Taking them out is easy, but I found i really needed to push and turn firmly when putting them back in (hence my dropsies problem). I finally found one on my multi-tool that fit better than the screwdriver I'd been using and it all went back together much more easily.

Tools you need:

Coat Hangar
Small Flat-Head Screwdriver
Fingers

Parts:
35851-SM4-003 1ea
79629-S3V-A01 2ea

MidnightMDX's Awesome FAQ for the '01-'06 MDX
Sinecure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Hi everyone -

This is the second time the lights (for the seat heaters and the HVAC Controls) have gone out in my wifes 2005 MDX. The first replacement was under warranty, but they want around $300 to replace the bulbs this time around. After some web searching, I cam across this site. Even though the photos in this link are no longer active, the instructions were good enough for me to figure out what I need to do. Off to the Acura dealer to get some bulbs!

I have a 4Runner and a F250, and hang out on forums for those vehicles pretty regularly. Looks like I have another place to visit now!

Thanks to all who created this thread!
Shamish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Don't pay 300.00, wow! Even if you don't have any mechanical knowledge (which it sounds like that is not the case), you can fix these. It is a very simple job.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

The instructions are also in this other topic, from which the photos are also missing.

There are two bulbs behind the eight buttons above the nav screen. You can find the part numbers on the AUTO AIR CONDITIONER CONTROL parts diagram.

While you've got the "plood" removed, you may as well also replace the bulbs that backlight the other buttons (hazard lights, passenger airbag) since you'll have easy access. Those parts are on the SWITCH parts diagram.

$300 sounds like a lot of money, but if they're replacing ALL of the button lights - including the ones on the left of the dash, the seat heater buttons, etc - it might be worth it. Removing the "plood" (for the HVAC bulbs) and removing the console (for the seat heater bulbs) both take a while, so you may be talking 1 to 2 hours of labor, and typical hourly labor rates are $120-150. Throw in the cost of the bulbs (around $5 each), and yeah, if you're doing all of them, it can reach $300. The ones on the left of the dash are much easier DIY's because all you need to do is gently pry the button cover off. But removing that "plood" and removing the console are ***NOT*** easy DIY operations, and require a fair amount of experience and a deft touch to remove them without breaking or scratching anything. (I've tried it and it is absolutely NOT a simple job!)

The reason these bulbs eventually go out is that they are on whenever the car's lights are on. If you do a fair amount of your driving at night, you're using those bulbs. So when the car gets up over 100K miles, you're probably going to need to replace them. Those who do most of their driving in daylight (with their lights off) may not need to replace them.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hi everyone - Acura was quoting $110 to replace the HVAC bulbs and $90 to replace the seat heater bulbs. Sorry, my $300 number was not accurate.

Anyhoo, I bought the HVAC, Hazard light, and seat heater switch bulbs today. Cost a total of $32. Replaced the HVAC and Hazard lights in about 5 minutes. Will do the Seat Heater bulbs tomorrow.

I noticed that the airbag bulb is bad, but I do not plan on replacing that one.

All of this seems strange. I have never had a car burn through bulbs so quickly.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamish View Post
All of this seems strange. I have never had a car burn through bulbs so quickly.
You probably never had a car where the individual buttons were backlit at night, whenever the lights are on.

Or maybe your previous cars didn't last as many miles or you didn't keep them as many miles, or maybe you mostly drove them during the daytime, without the lights on.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #28 (permalink)

Good morning -

I have had several vehicles that had the backlit switches...including a 1999 3.2 TL, and the MDX just cleared 60 kMiles. Just saying that the lamp life seems unusually short on the MDX. It's still a fabulous vehicle.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have replaced more switch bulbs on my '05 MDX then I have on all my other cars combined (25+ years of driving). I don't know what it is, but the failure rate seems very high compared to other vehicles--and not just my own experience but what I've found on the forums. My '06 Ridgeline has the same problem, and that's basically an MDX twin (of the same vintage) in a pickup body and uses the same bulbs. My '02 Acura TL-S didn't have this problem, nor my '97 Maxima SE before it or any of the other makes I've owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: