Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Windshield Washer Fluid Light

21K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  gfmarsh 
#1 ·
Hi there. I have an 2006 Acura MDX premium model and the washer fluid indicator light on the dash is on. So I obviously went and filled the reservoir under the hood and the light still remains. Is there another reservoir I am missing (maybe for the back window fluid)?? I checked the manual and nothing.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Nooch said:
Hi there. I have an 2006 Acura MDX premium model and the washer fluid indicator light on the dash is on. So I obviously went and filled the reservoir under the hood and the light still remains. Is there another reservoir I am missing (maybe for the back window fluid)?? I checked the manual and nothing.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
The front and rear wiper/washers share the same front reservoir--there is only one. It should reset automatically once you've got more than about 1/8th of a tank of washer fluid. Check to make sure the sensor is still installed firmly in the bottom of the reservoir. Also, it's possibly the sensor is faulty. You may also have to cycle the ignition on and off a couple of times.

#4 ·
Dominic,

No I did not resolve it. I filled the resevoir and have driven the car many times since and it remains on.

I am in the midst of purchasing the vehicle, so will have the dealer look at it. Will let u know what they come up with.

#7 ·
I saw the windshield washer light on 2001 Acura MDX and did some research. I found out that the sensor at the bottom of fluid washer tank was not working. I replaced the sensor and the light went away. I looked at the old sensor and checked how it works. I cleaned the sensor with little bleach and warm water it started working. When I checked with the meter it worked fine. I wish I knew before I spent the money. All it needed was a little cleaning with home bleach which removes the debris from the bottom of the sensor tube. Here is the solution without spending lot of money/time, flush out all the windshield washer from the tank or suck it with a pump, after draining the tank, pour one cup of bleach (clorox or any other brand) in the tank. Fill the tank only 1/3 or less to cover the top of the sensor and after few minutes, the light should go away. Shake the water in the tank to dislodge the debris in the sensor.If it does not work, fill the tank with pressure hose. Try couple of times until the light disappears. I know the dealers charge lot of money for replacing the senor which costs around $75 from the dealer and $45 online. Labor charges are usually $100. Its worth trying it and please give your feed back for other MDX/Honda owners. Good luck.

#9 ·
I wouldn't stick bleach into your reservoir tank as you might damage rubber in the system with the motors etc, and it likely won't do anything to help anyway (I submerged my old one in bleach once I removed it and I had closed circuit on it in either position on the Ohm meter). Taking the sensor float out of the bottom of the tank is a bit of chore as the front forward half fender liner has to come off. Although I didn't take the bumper cover off for fear of breaking any potential bolts that might be corroded, it's possible to loosen the three bolts off the tank so that you disconnect the connector to the float which is basically sandwiched between the tank and the outside of engine bay wall (it's in an awful spot!). It's easier to disconnected the wiring harness if you use a screw driver or even your fingers to gently pull the white plastic tab off from the tank. Getting the middle bolt back is really tricky as you can't readily see it and it's awkward to screw back in with a socket extension (you can sort of see it from the bottom looking up from the front of the car). It's likely quicker to remove the bumper cover, but like I said, I had a fear of breaking things, as one of the two bolts that holds the fender liner to bumper cover sheared off due to corrosion. Anyway mine works now...that annoying warning light that's been on for years is gone.

P.S. You likely need some of the fender liner plastic rivets as they'll likely snap off in the process (most Auto Values have these or something similar).

Hope this info helps someone down the road!

#8 ·
^
Great 1st post! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.