Would love some input - Trading 07 Tech/Ent for 13 Tech/Ent or Pilot Touring - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Quick response to my post
Keep you're current 07 MDX. It's not worth the $$ to trade out of it. 8 53.33%
Buy the 2013 Tech/Ent - The deal offered is great! 0 0%
Buy the 2013 Tech/Ent - The deal offered is good. 2 13.33%
Don't buy the 2013 Tech/Ent - You're getting hosed. 2 13.33%
Take a closer look at the Pilot 2 13.33%
A pilot? Are you crazy. You'll reget it. 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pej7445
Arrow Would love some input - Trading 07 Tech/Ent for 13 Tech/Ent or Pilot Touring

I've got a 2007 Black Tech/Ent with about 86k on the clock. A couple normal door dings and scuffs inside/out. Not a cream-puff but respectable overall cosmetic condition for a car pushing 6 years old. Mechanically the vehicle is 100%, no deferred maintenance.

I'm considering an offer received from my local dealer (Acura of Orange Park) that looks like this:
2013 Tech/Ent with basic roof rails and BSM $44000 (selling price)
Trade credit of $18000
Trade difference $26000 before dealer fee ($699) and other taxes/fees.

They will move my hitch and sport running boards from the trade in to the new car.

What do you think of the Acura dealer's offer? Given that it's the last couple days of the year I'm hoping to get a screaming deal.

I'm also toying with the idea of going into a 2012/2013 Pilot 4WD Touring for about $6k less. I like the extra 'space' and better fuel economy but wonder if I'll miss anything major from the Acura I've become quite accustom to driving.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Please note on the Poll you can select more than 1 option.
pej7445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Tetris Champion

Send a message via AIM to Hodog16
I assume the 2007 is paid off by now? How long were you planning on keeping it when you first purchased it?

I'd hesitate to get a 2013 with the 2014's coming in next year, especially on a car without any problems and that is likely paid off. This is a win-win for the dealer as they can move an out-going model and get a relatively late model MDX to sell as a used car, so try to squeeze every bit out of them with this in mind.

It's been a long time since I last test drove the Pilot but most people who have compared the two have preferred the MDX.

On a side note I'm also in the Jacksonville area .
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had an 09 Pilot and loved it, space,capability, fuel economy but its bigger with less power. So it needs more power to move. My pilot was a great truck but IMO I love my Acura a whole lot more, looks wise, interior is classier, and its fully functional for me.
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

But I also agree with HoDog they should give you an unbelievable deal being the bodystyle will change in the next few months. If not 2014 all the way.
snaps01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
I assume the 2007 is paid off by now? How long were you planning on keeping it when you first purchased it?

I'd hesitate to get a 2013 with the 2014's coming in next year, especially on a car without any problems and that is likely paid off. This is a win-win for the dealer as they can move an out-going model and get a relatively late model MDX to sell as a used car, so try to squeeze every bit out of them with this in mind.

It's been a long time since I last test drove the Pilot but most people who have compared the two have preferred the MDX.

On a side note I'm also in the Jacksonville area .
Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes. My 07 is paid off.

I'm concerned about keeping it and going past 100k miles due to the drop in value. Additionally at 90k it's time for the dreaded Timing Belt/Water Pump Service. If I keep it another year (approx 15k miles) I'll also need new tires.

I'm drawn to the 2013 because of the newer features and the low APR (0.9%) along with hopefully a very good sale price.

I'm going to go drive a Pilot Touring 4WD today to see how it compares in real life driving. I've only ever driven an older Pilot 2WD.

Thanks again for the input and happy new year!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post
I'm concerned about keeping it and going past 100k miles due to the drop in value. Additionally at 90k it's time for the dreaded Timing Belt/Water Pump Service. If I keep it another year (approx 15k miles) I'll also need new tires.
This to me seems penny wise but pound foolish. You are willing to sink $26000 into a new car instead of putting a couple grand into your current car with only 86k on the clock? I'd keep the 07 for another couple of years and get the 3rd gen MDX at a reduced price. Invest the $26K and see what you have in a couple of years. Good luck!

02 Honda S2000 -- Berlina Black/Black
99 Acura RL -- Naples Gold Metallic/Parchment
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
phins2rt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

The 2013 tech has BSM? I would have liked that.
I'm with the rest of the opinions here, I think the trade is not good. Particularly, I don't think you are getting a good price on the new car, nor in the trade in of your old one. Heck, I got 16.5 for an 07 RDX with 60k miles back in may, and my tech price was 40.5k.
I'd actually wait until 2014 for the second year model (2015) of the new MDX.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I, just like you, was tempted to get rid off my 07 but decided to spend $$ instead for the needed major maintenance service to keep it going in top shape for a few more years. At least with your model you don't have to shell out more cash for the sport shocks replacements. I am crossing my fingers on that one since I am now out of warranty.
It's nice to have the 4th gen but be aware that it could have a lot of bugs to fix for its first year of production roll out. GOOD LUCK!
EX2100 250hp sportboat with wakeboard tower
07 MDX S/E pkg. tow pkg. chrome steps(sold)
gotMDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you all for your input.

Today I test drove a 2013 4WD Pilot Touring. It was quite nice and very functional, lots of space.

I looked specifically for the VCM issues and got to drive it for about 18 miles. The VCM was negligible. Far smoother than my wife's 06 Odyssey also with VCM. Based on today's test drive this is a non-issue for me.

The pilot is definitely more 'utility' than 'sport' and far less fun/impressive to climb into everyday. But with 3 growing kids it seems like a better fit at this time. Later in life when the kids are out of the house I can get back to sporty/fun rides. From what I've seen of the 2014 it seems even more sporty and less utilitarian than the present MDX, not really interested in that. I sometimes miss the utility my previous 05 MDX offered.

I know it may be 'penny-wise/pound-foolish' to trade out from the MDX at this time due to my concerns over expensive maintenance issues in the next 12 months but there are other factors at play as well. I do want something newer.

I can afford it and with the 0.9% rate at the end of the year it seems like an opportune time. Perhaps I'm mistaken on the last point, but I'm also not going to just take the first deal offered.

The MDX is awesome but at this point with the 3 kids the Pilot just seems a better fit.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have you considered waiting to see what the 2014 MDX brings?
symmetrical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

One look at the Pilot's VCM problems will convince you to avoid it.

boston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Why do you not buy the vehicle that YOU like? Not one that other people like.

George
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. COLTON View Post
Why do you not buy the vehicle that YOU like? Not one that other people like.

George
I think he is planning to do that, but wants to hear opinions from others, hear what others would do in his position, maybe even hear something that he has not considered yet...it's an exchange of ideas, people do it all the time.
I don't understand your attitude, this board is a collaboration, if you've never asked anybody a question, then good for you, but don't be a jerk and try to make people feel bad for asking questions.

wrestrepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would rather keep the paid for MDX and take 5 epic trips the next 5 years with my kids with the 25k......that is something you would remember forever.
PTC DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC DAWG View Post
I would rather keep the paid for MDX and take 5 epic trips the next 5 years with my kids with the 25k......that is something you would remember forever.
I like this way of thinking!

I would have never thought of that.

I'll probably have to do 1 epic trip per year though since it wouldn't be financed for me at 0.9%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: