should I go tech or base 2013 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

should I go tech or base 2013

how much should be the price difference between tech and base?

3k?

and the only difference I noticed is the navi (which I don't really need although it looks nice) and premiums sound (which is what I really need)

any suggestion?
opticspen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are the major differences, per Edmunds: "The Technology package adds a multiview parking camera, GPS-linked and solar-sensing climate control, upgraded leather upholstery, a navigation system with 8-inch display, voice controls and a 10-speaker Acura/ELS surround-sound audio system with an iPod/USB interface."

The Technology package should run roughly $3500 more than the base model. You'll have to decide whether the extra features are worth it to you and whether you can afford it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

is it possible to just get the premium sound system, everything else seems not quite useful to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

The navi works pretty well, but the cost of a map update could buy you a Garmin unit.
The upgraded sound doesn't sound all that great.
The leather wears rather quickly ... see recent thread
The 3 view back up camera on the 8" screen is pretty good.

The strong points of the MDX (I own an 11 Tech) are the engine, the tranny, the AWD system, good seating comfort in the first two rows and good cargo room.

All the strong points are included in the base model.

If you like a sunroof and power tailgate, I think they are also in the base, but double check.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
is it possible to just get the premium sound system, everything else seems not quite useful to me.
The premium sound system is part of the Navi unit, so you can't get one without the other.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are aftermarket systems but no, you can't pick and choose OEM options for the X.
Coming from a base owner, I think the added features are worth the extra price. If I didn't get such a good deal on my base I would've gone with the tech package
hl126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get the tech. You'll wish u did later if u don't. Garmins for cars are dead. Use a smartphone instead.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
tolson37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

yes, that was my point, I think use an Iphone will be just fine for Navi purpose

it seems the base will be a better deal if can get at $36000

now I can get Tech at 40700, email quoted from dealer already.
what will be the reasonable price for a Base, I know for some 12 inventory, 36000 is achievable easily.

not sure if anyone get a 2013 base at $36000?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks, very good info

BTW, the premium sound is not good at all? really? I read some online review they think the ELS system is one of the top quality in car audio system.

any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_de View Post
The navi works pretty well, but the cost of a map update could buy you a Garmin unit.
The upgraded sound doesn't sound all that great.
The leather wears rather quickly ... see recent thread
The 3 view back up camera on the 8" screen is pretty good.

The strong points of the MDX (I own an 11 Tech) are the engine, the tranny, the AWD system, good seating comfort in the first two rows and good cargo room.

All the strong points are included in the base model.

If you like a sunroof and power tailgate, I think they are also in the base, but double check.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't think the parking camera was useful, until I actually had one

Quote:
BTW, the premium sound is not good at all? really? I read some online review they think the ELS system is one of the top quality in car audio system.
The ELS system is top quality. Don't listen to Bill; he's been a troll here since day one, doing nothing but complaining about his MDX. Go decide for yourself. I'm sure your dealer has cars on the lot, including a base MDX and one with the Technology package. Try the audio system on each. Bring a favorite CD with you, to use in listening to the sound system. Take each for a test drive. Then decide.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I find the highs are not really sharp. The sub does not really give you a bang on the lows.
Part of the problem might be the vehicle itself as the cabin if not the quietest in the industry.

If that's important to you, take both for a test drive. Bring your favorite music and crank it up.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

thanks, will probably do sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
I didn't think the parking camera was useful, until I actually had one

The ELS system is top quality. Don't listen to Bill; he's been a troll here since day one, doing nothing but complaining about his MDX. Go decide for yourself. I'm sure your dealer has cars on the lot, including a base MDX and one with the Technology package. Try the audio system on each. Bring a favorite CD with you, to use in listening to the sound system. Take each for a test drive. Then decide.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Check the iPod integration differences between the two, as well. I believe the base model doesn't have true iPod control, just an AUX in. At least that's the way it was in 2012 on Canadian models.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes, you are right, base only have aux, but seems not really a big deal, btw, for the navy upgrade, any way to do it cheap? They charge a fortune even within warranty?

Seems ridiculous if it's within warranty period

Btw, anyone can comment on the price I quoted?

40700 for a tech and 37400 for a base?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, you are right, base only have aux, but seems not really a big deal, btw, for the navy upgrade, any way to do it cheap? They charge a fortune even within warranty?

Seems ridiculous if it's within warranty period
Navy? Are you referring to the nav system, and having them install all the parts to have the nav system in a base MDX? If so, that doesn't make any sense, because it would be way too expensive to do it that way. If you want the nav system, just get the Technology package. Besides, that way you'll get all the other features, and when you go to sell it some day, it will sell as the factory Technology package rather than something that was added on.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: