2013 MDX buying experience (not waiting for the 2014!) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Auto Loans Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
MDXers.org is the premier Acura MDX Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

2013 MDX buying experience (not waiting for the 2014!)

Like many of you, I had been aiming to buy a new MDX, tempted by the steep discounts being offered on the 2012 model. I went to the dealer about a month ago, and although they had many 2012's still on the lot and they were offering $7000+ below MSRP, they didn't have the specific combo that I wanted (advance package, palladium metalic, ebony leather), and I wasn't willing to compromise on this. Since then, I became even more discouraged when I read in these forums that the 2013's have a locked navigation system which cannot be fully accessed while driving.

As it turns out, the 2013 navigation system is NOT locked. It has no limitations or grayed-out screens while moving. Even better, without any negotiation at all, yesterday the dealer offered me $3000 below invoice+destination on the 2013 Advance package (final out-the-door price of $48k plus tax). I got the impression that I could push them even lower, but I don't like haggling and I felt like I was getting a good deal. I also bought a 6 year / 70K mile extended warranty from Acura Care (...for $1600 after initially declining it several times).

Why did I opt for a 2013 MDX, rather than wait for the 2014 MDX or go with some other SUV? Several reasons:

1. As most of you know, nobody else offers the same combination of features, utility, looks, safety, and handling of the MDX in the ~$50K price range. Although it's expensive in absolute terms, IMO you get what you pay for with the MDX.

2. I hear that the 2014 MDX may get rid of SH-AWD, and I don't really need or want a bigger car than the existing MDX. The cargo space behind the 3rd row is somewhat of a joke (Acura.com claims "15 cubic feet" of cargo with all seats up, no way, my 2006 TL has a 12 cubic ft trunk and it feels like it's 10X bigger). But I'm not willing to add extra 3rd row legroom or cargo space for a bigger or worse-handling SUV. I love the way the current MDX handles, it feels like a relatively small car and I'm afraid the 2014 will ruin this. The 2013 also has an excellent turning radius and an awesome feeling of "connectedness" to the road, which I'm sure will both suffer in a larger 2014 model. I'm also afraid that the 2014 will be even more expensive, and uglier (I personally believe that the current MDX is the best looking SUV on the market).

3. Although acura is a very reliable brand overall, consumer reports ranks the MDX as the least reliable of all acura models. I figure that the 2013 MDX, now in its 7th model year, will be the most reliable full-sized SUV that Acura will build for many years to come. I assume/hope that the 2013 model has various minor internal improvements in parts or construction compared to the 2012 model.

4. Safety... Our insurance premiums went DOWN after buying the 2013 MDX, even though this $50K luxury vehicle replaced a $9k POS! The insurance rep says that this is because the MDX is safer and tends to get in fewer accidents. I specifically wanted a silver vehicle (studies have show they are safer, although this may not be causal) and also the Advance package because of the radar-based Collision Mitigation Braking System. I spend a lot of time on busy SF Bay Area highways and I've had many close calls where traffic abruptly slows/stops ahead of me. I consider myself a defensive driver and I don't tailgate, but you just never know. Just a few days ago, I saw a Lexus SUV which had crashed into the back of a car on the side of the road at high speed. There were shopping bags and debris everywhere, it was horrible. Later I found out that one passenger was killed and everyone else was injured. I believe the MDX CMBS may have prevented (or reduced the severity of) this type of crash. Why take chances with my family and save a few $ to go with a cheaper car without this feature? It's a no-brainer for me, I will sleep better at night knowing that I have this.
melty8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on the new ride.
Bill_de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums and thank you for the good read.

Although there aren't really any concrete details on the 2014 MDX, the features that I think will set itself apart is hopefully a push engine start and 370hp engine option like the RLX. I'm not sure where you got the idea that they are getting rid of SH-AWD, but I've read otherwise that it "could" include an improved and more advanced version of SH-AWD much like the RLX. But we won't find out about these rumors until they unveil it.

Otherwise it doesn't make your 2013 any less valuable. I agree with all your points and it's really a great balanced SUV. Just enough sport and utility at a very reasonable price. Enjoy your MDX!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Congrats on the new ride! I've been eyeing the advance for awhile, but am waiting to hear more about the 2014, particularly improved mileage. You get to enjoy your new ride while I wait it out

One question, you said $3000 under invoice, out the door of $48000 + tax. The invoice is $48900-- did you pay less than $48 before the added fees and tax? I may reconsider and buy sooner!

(retired)
2005 Acura MDX Steel Blue/Ebony Touring w/Nav
td284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by td284 View Post
Congrats on the new ride! I've been eyeing the advance for awhile, but am waiting to hear more about the 2014, particularly improved mileage. You get to enjoy your new ride while I wait it out

One question, you said $3000 under invoice, out the door of $48000 + tax. The invoice is $48900-- did you pay less than $48 before the added fees and tax? I may reconsider and buy sooner!
Interesting... I just realized that different websites are quoting different invoice prices for the 2013 Advance. Edmunds shows the invoice price as $50960, which includes the $895 destination charge. Whereas kbb.com and cars.com show $48900, which does not seem to include the $895 destination charge. Truecar.com is showing yet-another invoice price ($50146 including destination). In any case, my final price paid was $47800 plus sales tax, plus another ~$400 in license/registration fees.

Even if the 2014 has a hybrid option which bumps it up to 28 mpg highway, IMO this won't make a huge dent at the gas pump . A direct injection engine might get 24-26 mpg, but this will only translate to a few hundred $ per year in savings at the pump if you drive ~10K miles.

My (distant) 2nd choice was actually the Odyssey touring elite. It drives shockingly well (very nimble, almost as good as the MDX I have to say!) and gets 28 MPG highway. It's only 1 inch wider and a few inches longer than the MDX too. With a 21 gallon tank, this gives the Odyssey a huge ~600 mile range which I would love. But the dealbreaker was that the Odyssey lacks CMBS that I mentioned above, and of course it's a minivan! If/when the Odyssey gets features such as CMBS and lane departure correction, I will probably switch to it (and yes, I will have to turn in my Man Card but in the meantime I will have a fun and stylish SUV for a while).
melty8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melty8888 View Post
Interesting... I just realized that different websites are quoting different invoice prices for the 2013 Advance. Edmunds shows the invoice price as $50960, which includes the $895 destination charge. Whereas kbb.com and cars.com show $48900, which does not seem to include the $895 destination charge. Truecar.com is showing yet-another invoice price ($50146 including destination). In any case, my final price paid was $47800 plus sales tax, plus another ~$400 in license/registration fees.

Even if the 2014 has a hybrid option which bumps it up to 28 mpg highway, IMO this won't make a huge dent at the gas pump . A direct injection engine might get 24-26 mpg, but this will only translate to a few hundred $ per year in savings at the pump if you drive ~10K miles.

My (distant) 2nd choice was actually the Odyssey touring elite. It drives shockingly well (very nimble, almost as good as the MDX I have to say!) and gets 28 MPG highway. It's only 1 inch wider and a few inches longer than the MDX too. With a 21 gallon tank, this gives the Odyssey a huge ~600 mile range which I would love. But the dealbreaker was that the Odyssey lacks CMBS that I mentioned above, and of course it's a minivan! If/when the Odyssey gets features such as CMBS and lane departure correction, I will probably switch to it (and yes, I will have to turn in my Man Card but in the meantime I will have a fun and stylish SUV for a while).
Eek a Mini-van, it sends shivers down my spine! lol j/k

If I ever have more than 3 kids, I will probably end up getting a mini-van in the future. Nature of the beast of being a father I guess.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

As symmetrical notes, there really aren't any concrete details on the 2014 MDX. So the comparisons you're making aren't based on fact, they're just guesses, and could turn out to be wrong.

OTOH you didn't mention one big reason to buy now rather than wait - you'll get to enjoy your MDX immediately, and throughout the next however-many-months until the new one comes out. Good luck with your new MDX!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Random Question

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: